1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Share your nose ring story here - Ettukkallu Besthri Potta...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Nov 22, 2007.

1. VeenaD

VeenaD New IL'ite

hello, i am veena , i am 28 year old married women. found this thread so just want to share my story of nose piercing with you.
    my right nostril was pierced when i was about 12 by my mother , it was not so painful and nose healed within a week . by 22 i got married and my in laws are bit strict about the tradision so had to get my left nostril pierced and from my in laws i got ettu kallu besari even though i didnt like it much . so in first few months i was living with my husband in chennai . so i used to wear only a diamond stud on right nostril . even my husband was okok with it , i just used to wear besari when my in laws comes. about a year after my husband got a job in gulf country and so i was living with him. we retuned to india within 2 months because my MIL was serious . unfortunately she passed away. my FIL decided to distribute her gold between me and my SIL . my MIL had 6 bangles , lakshmihaar,kilikasuhaar , pair of jhimiki, a septum ring and seven pin besari, rings . my SIL is much older than me , she was 42 that time so my FIL gave her first chance to choose the gold . she took 4 bangles, kilikasuhaar ,4 pin talukku mookuthi and rings. so i had to get the remaining . my FIL and other in laws wanted me to wear atlest ring and nose rings. my SIL had gave me her mookuthis as she already had one gifted by my MIL . initially was not ok with wearing the septum as i was feeling two piercings are enough . but my FIL was not convinced with it so he made it clear that i had to wear suptum ring also as it was of my MIL and its our tradition , since i dont wanted to make him feel bad i decided to wear it , i was also thinking like now i am in village place and there it was a normal thing to have three rings . i was wearing them till i was there . now i wear only two but wear septum when i go to village . thank you for reading .

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It surprises me that a 28year old girl is wearing two nose rings and a septum just to satisfy elders.
    jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

More surprising is fil(a man) forcing it on his young dil.Sad.

1 person likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It is really shocking that no one here finds this kind of forced piercings shocking,instead people are busy preaching keeping the traditions alive. How can a husband and his mother treat a girl like a cattle?Piercings should only be personal decisions.Forcing some one to make holes in body and wear ornaments is physical and emotional abuse.I hope this so called tradition of community pressure to pierce nose against a person's wish stops .Some traditions that don't value the right of a person over ones body deserve to fade out.

5. VeenaD

VeenaD New IL'ite

see it depends on you, many rituals are followed to make happy your elders

6. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

In this modern age, forcing his DL to wear septum and two nose pins , that too 8 kallu besari ? surprising

7. VeenaD

VeenaD New IL'ite

i know he did but i think the reason of that force was not bad , i accepted to wear those because even i thought i should continue the tradittion

8. VeenaD

VeenaD New IL'ite

my in laws are very traditinal in nature

9. sunitharaghvan

sunitharaghvan New IL'ite

even i have pierced my both nosetrial and septum but i wear just a diamond stud in left nose while septum and other ring in the time of performing . i am a bharatnatyam dancer :D

1 person likes this.
  10. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Hi, I know somebody who pierced her nose after her marriage . Her mil forced her to.My mother in law pierced her nose but let it closed down. When the discussion arises about nose piercing mine said 'don't even think about it.'

1 person likes this.