Share your memorable train journey with us - May 2012

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL-ites,

9th May is the National Train Day, so let’s celebrate the magnificent Indian Railways this month.

Smiley03-1.gif

We’ve all had at least one memorable train journey in our life. The exciting trips to grandma’s house, the summer vacation journey, the first railway trip to your new college or a new job... All these journeys stay in our mind forever.

Have you experienced any such journey’s in your life? If yes, then share them with us.

Points to be noted:

• Contest starts today – May 1st, 2012 and ends on May 25th, 2012.
    • An IL-ite can post only ONE entry.
    • Entries should be posted only in this thread for it to qualify for the contest.
    • Entry for the contest should not exceed 750 words.
    • Best and interesting write up will be selected by the panel of Judges for a Special Prize.
    • Strictly NO COPY PASTING articles from other sites / magazines.

3 people like this.

2. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

The yearly trips to grandma's place in the childhood have been many. My most memorable train journey has to be the one where I missed my train to my hometown from my work place once by just 10 minutes. It was a long vacation and I had to go home somehow. I met a stranger guy who missed the train too, and he helped me know about the options, and left. Fortunately my DH, and then friend was going to his home too and had his train in the late night. He came in early to the station for me, took a general compartment ticket for me, shared his berth, which I seized and slept hopelessly while he was waiting for the TT to issue some free berth. LOL. And also packed breakfast and made me sit in another bus to my place from his place in the morning. I could finally reach home after a very long journey the next day, thanks to him. Our friendship only grew after that, and blossomed to love and marriage later. Till day, we talk about the incident and he teases me for my foolishness. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

This is one incident none of my family members can ever forget. It occured in the year 1998 when mobiles phones just entered the market and only the privileged carried those.

It so happened that we used to live @ this town in AP. One of my aunts has visited us from Hyderabad. She was on her way to Tirupati and our town happened to be en route. So, she had halted at our home for a day and my mom, my younger brother(was 10 yrs old then) and I(was 13 yrs old then) had gone to the railway station to send her off @ 7:30 PM.

We all liked our aunt so much that all three of us along with her boarded the train. And we happened to meet another set of relatives in the opposite berth. And so the chit chat began. And none of us actually realized that the train had started. And then the panic struck. :shaking: What would we do now. It was getting dark and my mom never carried single penny with her, for whatever reason. It was my brother who then had fifty bucks with him; I guess that was his pocket money. no idea where he procured that from.

We had planned to get down at the next station...call my dad... wait till he comes and then return home. :bang So, as decided, we got down at the very next station (Cant recollect the station name, assume it is XYZ.)and to our surprise, a squad was enquiring with my mom if she was "Mrs.Parvati". :roll: When my mom confirmed the same, all three of us were taken to the station master's office. He was informing us that the train halts at that staion only for two minutes. :hide: And he connected to our town's station master(Mr.Venkat). As soon as mom took over the reciever, the voice from the other end said "akka.. akkade undo..baava, nenu vastaamu" (Akka..stay there..ur husband and I would be coming )My mom was relieved to hear that voice. Not to mention none of us were tensed after this talk. That Mr.Venkat happened to be a near relative of us. And an hour later my dad had come to pick us up. And it was 1:00 AM by the time we had reached home.

So, what had exactly happened in the background :bonkWhen we had come to the station to send off my aunt, we met this Mr.Venkat and after talking for a while my mom had informed him she'll catch up with after sometime. And we boarded the train. This uncle then got busy with this duty.

After dropping all of us at the railway station, our driver had left to home. And since he had no other work,he happened to visit my dad's shop and when dad asked if he had dropped all three of us at home, the confused driver :confused2: was like "amma vaallandaru train ekki ooru vellaaru kada". (Madam and the kids had boarded the train, na) My dad assuming what would have possbily happened, shut down the shop immediately and my dad, one of our family friends who was in the shop then had started to the railway station.

When my dad met Venkat uncle, he was astonished too. And immediately, he had gone to his office, took all those charts, rang up all the nearest railway stations (which were enroute the train we had boarded) and informed about this whole incident and requested the resp station masters to take care of us:goodidea:, if we happened to get down at their station. And dad and uncle were waiting for the next to happen. And the rest is history. Simple series of incidents and we were safe.:clap
    It was with all help from these station masters, squad that we were able to reach home safely. :thankyou2: And everytime we recollect this incident, we all have a hearty laugh.

Not to mention that after the incident, we concluded the following things.

• Always carry money with you. Even if you happen to be a km away from home.
    • Always have contacts and maintain cordial relationship with them.
    • And last but not the least, never board the train if we happen to send off someone.
    P.S. All names changed.

2 people like this.
  4. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

Why this restriction? :(

5. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Very good concept for the contest. I will soon join with my post!!

Free spirit is your experience made you to find out the soulmate in your friend, good!

coolsandy, I must say yours is one of a kind of experience. Though it crossed 300words, I must say its too enjoyable. And especially the learnings:

1 person likes this.
  6. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your fb and eagerly waiting to read ur exp. :thumbsup

Trying to edit my post to 300 words, only if it is possible.:rant

7. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Coolsandy,

With more interesting entries flowing in for the contest we have extended our word limit to 750 words.

Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  8. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

this is one good gesture:thumbsup

9. coolbuddie

coolbuddie New IL'ite

It so happened that my sister was in this metro city, courtesy her IT job; and she lived in a flat along with her friends. And since she stayed there for ~3 yrs, she had accumulated hell lot of luggage. Then came a day when she had to move onsite for 2 years or so. I had become a scapegoat to get that "luggage" ported from this "metro city" to our native place in gujarat. :rant

We got a seat reserved @ Rajdhani, I AC. The maximum luggage limit is usually ~20-25 kgs. :thumbsdown But who bothered about that? I am telling you our whole luggage included clothing, utensils, accessories, books and what not which was piled up into 2 twenty kilo trolleys, 3 mid sized cartons, 2 mid sized suitcases, my own stuff of 1 mid sized trolley and some other bags(3-4 in number). :eek:mg:

Luckily, we were the first ones to board the compartment. So, we managed to adjust our so called "luggage" underneath the berths and hid everything. :hide: But, we were not able to adjust those two big trolleys. So, they were visible to anyone and everyone. When the TT had come for verification, he just saw those 2 big trolleys; and he was complaning about that; but I managed to convince him. :)

The journey started. There were hardly 3-4 passengers in the whole bhogi; and none in my section, luckily. And the journey ended. Reached destination safely and sab maal utaar diya ensuring nothing was left behind. My parents had come to receive me.

It then happened that the same TT and the attender came to that bhogi, saw me and then he looked at the vast size of "luggage", rather the "hidden luggage". He could not believe what he saw and he had an "mujhe ullu banaaya" expression on his face. :bang :bang He had gone inside and came back again. May be he wanted to say something. But, now that everything is out of his limits, he stayed calm. :confused2:

I still wonder as to how I could be so bold then. We all have good laugh at it. Though the intention was not to fool the TT, it just happened so. And I was relieved of that exponential fine amount. :thumbsup

Since then, I ensure not to carry more than 10kg luggage.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  10. Nazzima

Nazzima New IL'ite

We went to visit India in month of February 2012 for the treatment of my sister.On landing in Mumbai very next day we boarded a train called Stabdi express, early morning to Ahmdawad. Travelling on this train was very exciting and fun also. The friendly staff service and food served was very excellent. We had lovely train journey up to Ahmdawad.

After treatment of my sister we decided to go to Ajmer, for which we got tickets for Haridwar Mail. On this train journey we experienced lot of problems. After boarding the train one middle aged couple and the mother in law boarded the train from a certain station. On boarding the train she started pushing our luggages and talking loudly. Telling us that we were occupying their seats which was absolutely untrue.As being outsiders we said these are our berth numbers, she was not ready to listen.The husband was just hen-pecked he could not control the said behaviour of his wife.

Our journey was of eight hours for which we four of us just sat on one berth till we reached Ajmer...this experience i will never forget.

Nazzima

Last edited: May 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.