1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sharada's Middle in Deccan Herald!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jul 13, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Brought a smile to my face

Dear Sridhar,

Thanks for bringing this 'middle' to us. What a pleasant little article. Maybe I am biased or plain lucky or both, I have always had no problem with the Bangalore auto drivers. Whenever I visit my home town, I am totally dependant on the autorickshaws to take me around and often I have no clue about B'lore's ever changing roads and city. If not for these autos and their drivers, I may have stayed at home all through the precious vacation and give up on my adorable shopping:)
    They automatically recognise me as an out of town person and ask me as to which 'foreign' land I reside in!!

L, Kamla

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Glad To See You Smile, Kamla

Dear Kamla,

Sharada has written a very touching piece. I really enjoyed it.
    I also normally have a good relationship with the auto drivers. At times I fight too, if they try to fleece me or if they drive too fast. But many a time I ask their names and call them by their name often.
    The other day as I was going in an auto in Chennai (BTW, autos are the fastest mode of transport in Chennai and Bangalore) my bil wanted to be picked up on the way. As he got in, I told the driver "saravanan, now go to Adyar." My bil was astonished as to my remembering his name.

We may not be able to leave the world a better place than what it was when we came in; but we can definitely leave the auto and its driver in a better condition than we found them. Sharada has precisely done that and you have been doing that.
    love and regards,
    sridhar

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

dear Sridhar,
    the write was really and eye opener. Like you, myself and my hubby always make it a point to ask name of the driver and treat them also as our friends. Chennai auto drivers are very trying sometimes, but many are good people. My husband always buys the drivers, auto or taxi, food or whatever we eat. We tell the driver to help himself to whatever he needs.
    You should see the drivers in Kerala. Normally, they don't cheat. But getting an answer from them is bageerathaprayathnam only. The Mallu do not waste words, just nods for GET IN, closing and opening of both eyes for NO, look away for NOT COMING etc. After residing in Chennai for 19 years, I find it difficult not to strike up a conversation. But I keep to myself, fearing their reaction (or lack of it). But they do not argue or behave badly with passengers. They take only what is shown in the meter.
    I would also like to tell about our local flour mill owner. He is a simple man running a flour mill with 3 machines in a small shop. His son is working in the Infosys in the US and daughter is a docter, had married a doctor and is also in US. When asked if he had visited them, he said he was not interested in going abroad. He says that whatever his son is does not make any difference to him, he had only done his duty as a father. He still is the same, opens the shop at 7.30 everyday.
    Just think about the greedy people who amass crores of rupees worth assests and are not satisfied still.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

loving yr middle, Sharada

Dear Sharada and Sridhar,

Sridhar- thanks for posting this middle and sharing the cheer around.

And Sharada- thanks to you for telling us the story of an honest and hard working auto driver. Must say have not met many such types, coming from Kerala.

Loved your middle, it is written well.

warm regards
    Vidya

6. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

a nice piece

its almost the end of the day, i am tired and frustrated. but this piece subtly reminds me of the good things to life, its kind of changing my mood and brings a smile. I feel along with the autodriver, the story and the way the story is written is also honest, which makes reading it a pleasure. Kudos to Ms.Sarada.

thanks Sridhar for posting it.

7. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

Thanks so much!

Glad that all of you enjoyed the middle. Kamla, Varloo, Vidya, Hopefloats (does disappointment sink?!) and Sridhar your warm appreciation has brought sunshine into my day. I got a lot of calls for this piece - one even said that I should have sent it to a Kannada paper so that auto drivers could read it!
    Have a good day!
    You have certainly made mine truly joyous,
    Sharada

8. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

absolutely!

after reading your middle, disappointments did sink :)

9. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

good repartee

Hopefloats, I loved the rejoinder! What's your real name - is it Asha? if not, I'll be Niraasha!!- kya joke maara!
    Sharada

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sharada,

That was lovely piece written by you. What would our lives be without autos?? Cant even think of it. I have met many nice auto men . The ones in Bombay are very nice. No asking for more than the meter , etc.... in fact, a couple of times, i was short of change and they used to say it okay.
    Even in Bangalore, and Chennai, i can recall only good experiences with the auto drivers.

Vandhana