1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shankar Jaikishan And The Romance Of Music

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your appreciation and I collected most of my favorites through my father and his friend's collection, Chitrahar and Rangoli ( thinking of those days make me refresh:)). i used to buy CD s and MP3 songs of singers and music composers hits and chosen my favorites.

Your excuse make me post few more my favorites

Shanvy likes this.
  2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I didn't watch most of the movies I just love to listen and hum along with the song. I feel One best thing is I understand Hindi very well ( so I enjoy lyrics too ) because it was one of languages till 10th grade.

Cheeniya and jskls like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Mistt the woh chand khila ye taarey hase is my favorites..

sigh makes me say, sadly

Cheeniya, jskls and Mistt like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    So, that is the story of Shankar Jaikishan. I heard most of the songs you mentioned but not seen the movies. Beautiful songs they all are. Difficult to choose which are good and which not so good!
    My favourite song is Yeh mera Prem Patra padhkar from Sangam.
    I used to think Raj kapoor, Shankar, Jaikishan and Mukhesh as one group. Heard most of the songs on youtube.
    NTR as Lord Krishna is famous. That is why people voted for him when he started Telugu Desham party. In West Godavari, forgot the name of the place....in one temple Lord Krishna's idol looks exactly like NTR. In some places where his films are released as Lord Krishna people used to take coconuts and flowers and used to break coconuts in front of the posters in theatres! Maya bazar is unique...for NTR, Savitri and SVR.
    Syamala

Cheeniya likes this.
  5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

That was 100% true, still TDP using him for their vote bank collection and heard that making biopic on NTR. Oh really?does Krishna idol look like him? Curious to know that place. If you don't mind please mention the name of that place.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

SJ were incredibly productive and versatile too. Whether it was the folk music of UP in Teesri Kasam to the classical based songs of Amrapali, the quality of their songs never suffered. With all the discussion on lyrics I must say that for me the words make the songs. I love a good composition but the lyrics transform a great tune into an unforgettable song. We need a series to discuss the works of Sahir, Shailendra, Kaifi Azmi, Majrooh, Gulzar and others. : )

Sajanwa bairi ho gaye hamar... Shailendra's lyrics are the highlight of this song.

Jao re jogi tum jao re.....

Neel gagan ki chhaon mein...

Mistt and Shanvy like this.
  7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy nice choice.
    Yes, Mohammad Rafi jee sang some Telugu songs and I like few of them. Even Latha jee sang "nidurapora thammuda and I just love that one. Asha jee sang couple of Telugu ones.

8. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Jaikishan used to drink excessively but he didn't die only due to excessive consumption. Few days before the death , He was diagnosed with Hepatitis which is inflammation of the liver tissue but he still continued to drink, this lead to his liver failure.

Shailendra/Mukesh/Jaikishan/Raj Kapoor all drank heavily but not all their deaths can be attributed to alcohol abuse. Shailendra who died at 43 died due to stress because of heavy loss in his production Teesri Kasam

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy
    Yes Shanvy. True behanji :) I know and agree that music has no language barriers. I enjoy all music, from Beethoven, Mozart, to pop, hindustani, spanish songs, and other Indian language songs.

What I meant was, I would be abe to enjoy the songs even better, if I knew the language. This because sometimes there is word play involved - that adds beauty and sometimes fun also. I miss out on that.

Here is a Rabindra sangeet that is so beautiful. I can get the meaning of the Bengali words, but still will not be able to relish Tagore's handling of the language in poetry. That is what I've been trying to convey all along.

@Cheeniya sir, please pardon me posting Rabindra sangeet in your thread.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Cheeniya likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@kkrish
    You are pardoned! But tell me know whether this girl's ultra modern dresses suit Rabindra Sangeeth?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    kkrish and Mistt like this.