1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shades Of Yellow

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 1, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Been a really tough time. It is bound to be if you are expected to read about 12 - 24 X 200 words purportedly in a said language - texts with 2-4 sentences telescoped into one with no head, no tail, no subject, no verb. It does not even provide a good laugh. You can laugh if you can understand the sentence (however absurd), not if you can't. Texts which come up with newly minted words, so you start wondering whether your vocabulary is lacking and when one after another each ones gets a '0', you start wondering whether your correction is unreasonable.

Anyway, not that we don't have our compensations. These are the days when all of us sit together and eat food provided for us and happily laugh over ridiculous sentences with absurd meanings (in those cases where we can at least know who did or said what) and crib over the quality of the food. And at the end of it, we are taken out for a picnic for a day (not after every exam season of course!)

So it was that it was decided that we'd spend a day at a resort yesterday and we did. I was very eager to go - one needs to see places other than one's room and the teachers' room and the class room at least once in a couple of years. But I was not sure of my ability to do so. What with foot in bandage, walking stick and no lift in the building! Anyway, I decided to make up my mind nearer the time and set the alarm for a fixed hour. I woke up (or rather dragged myself out of bed), tottered to the bathroom and switched on the geyser. In the same moment, I changed my mind and decided I could not torture myself with such a long day sitting and walking in the heat. So I switched off the geyser, went back and lay down. I thought of my colleague who the previous day had tried to convince me to go along. And THEN with my eyes closed, I saw this beautiful bright yellow bird in a tree. THERE! All the exhaustion vanished. I hauled myself out of bed, got myself ready and went.

What do I see? Said colleague was wearing a bright yellow top. Another was wearing a bright yellow kurta. Two house-keeping staff who came along were wearing yellow shirts. Yet another colleague was wearing a not so yellow, but ochre kurta. At the resort, all the staff were wearing yellow shirts. And below a tree stood a yellow van.

What do I call this? Serendipity? The BH suggested intuition. But I don't believe that. What I saw was a yellow bird. Though there were a lot of little birds, there was no yellow BIRD. Just a lot of YELLOW around. I can't say I was spooked out, but it was one really intriguing experience to say the least.

Which brings me to a question. How do we define 'intuition'?

Last edited: May 1, 2019

2. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Yellow bird reminds me of those yellow love birds tweeting merrily. Good that you didn’t miss the opportunity to go.
    Intuition you just know it right ? If you were wearing yellow too then it would have been double dhamakka.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Thanks for the response Spring. Yes, I would imagine 'intuition' means that we have a kind of 'fore-knowledge' of something without really having any known 'rational' basis for that knowledge. Here it was no such thing. I just saw something in my mind and then the whole day seemed to be tinted 'yellow'. So probably this was synchronicity. One yellow bird seen in India is the Golden Oreole.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    SpringB likes this.
  4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,

This is the Universe bringing what you want! It must have been a beautiful feeling.

I have read somewhere that intuition could be thought of as a clear understanding of collective intelligence. I do believe it is important to listen to your gut feeling or intuition but at the same time, we need to try our best towards the goals, if that makes sense?

Vani

satchitananda likes this.
  5. satchitananda

True, Girvani. May be a kind of manifestation? But then, I wish I had seen the yellow bird!!! As for the need to put in our own efforts without waiting for the Universe to work for us ..... well, of course! No two ways about that!

girvani likes this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A gut reaction can be a warning from your subconscious, but it can also just be nervous tension or your own unwillingness to give up your freedom. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t listen to your gut.

But in cases like Op's decision to go out etc ,they are very simple and heaven will not fall whether one visits a tourist spot or not.

But in fixing matrimonial alliances etc, it is better to take some time and analyse why your gut says 'yes or no'? . Sort out your feelings first. If commitment fills you with dread, examine what set off these negative feelings. You might be imagining things.
    Sometimes we may lose a good opportunity because of fears created by gut feelings.
    On many occasions gut feelings are prejudiced.
    Better use your common sense based on knowledge and experience,weigh the pros and cons logically and the decide.
    My sister was seeking alliance for her daughter. Two alliances came at the same time.One was an officer of a bank, a permanent job, eligible for pension etc.
    The other was just completed CA Inter and have failed five times in CA final.
    The guts of both the daughter and mother said, " we should go after a groom with permanent job.'If the half CA does not pass at all , it would become a great problem.
    But the CA failed boy was more interested in coming forward.His guts said that he would pass the exam soon on marrying the girl.
    The girl was nearing 29 and so many alliances were missed because of horoscope mis match.
    At last the girls' side decided against their guts, but the boy listened to his guts.The marriage was performed half heartedly. The boy was jubilant.He completed CA in the next attempt, got a covetable job, grew fast in the professional ladder.
    The bank boy too got his promotion, posted to some North Indian branch.His wife,employed in Chennai, refused to join and it ended in separation.
    Though Gut feeling is said to emanate from sub conscious mind, it is not necessarily a conclusive factor on which we have to take decision.There are better intellectual and logical ways to guide us.

jayasala 42

7. satchitananda

Dear JS Ma'am,

I agree with you that intuition vs common sense is very crucial in major life changing decisions. It is extremely hard to decide whether to listen to one's heart/gut or brain.

However here it was not an intuition. This is just what I asked in the last sentence of my post. I do not believe this is an intuition. I love seeing birds and taking pictures of them. So any chance of missing such an opportunity is painful. Here it was the choice between enduring physical pain or disappointment. Though my body was crying out to me to sleep some more and let go the picnic, my mind was dragging me towards going and tempting me with images of a tantalizing yellow bird. Of course, I did not see any bird, but the fact that so many people were wearing clothes of the same colour was what I would think is a coincidence or a synchronicity.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Your subconscious mind had a strong urge to go out and enjoy when your physical condition didn't motivate you to come down three stairs to make that effort to go out and have fun. Finally, your subconscious mind gave a vision of what you like to make you overcome your physical barriers and you ended up watching a lot of yellow when you visited the spot. It is synchronicity. But subconscious mind has more power than conscious mind.
    Intuition is nothing but your deep analytical mind sharing past experiences on a subject.

SpringB and satchitananda like this.
  9. satchitananda

That seems to make sense, Viswa. And certainly, despite there being no yellow birds, there were plenty of other ones and I did enjoy the trip. Am grateful to that subconscious mind for doing me that favour! :grinning:

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    So, the little yellow bird motivated you to go to resort and enjoy. May be subconscious mind as Viswamitra said.
    There is a quote from Paeulo Coelho which says if you want something very badly the whole world conspires and gives it. Everything yellow all around welcoming you!!!!
    In Andhra Pradesh yellow is the colour of Telugu desam party . All yellow shirts and sarees!!!!
    Syamala