1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sexual Bullying In Usa Schools

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by skalluri, Jun 22, 2016.

1. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    My son is entering 7th grade. I am little anxious how the kids behave in school as they are entering teenage. My son says sometimes kids talk about dating stuff, if kids are talking about dating etc, there could be chances of having sexual bullying and watching bad sites online as the smart phone is available to some kids and chances that they show to other kids and spoil them.
    To what extent these kind of things happen in middle schools in USA and how do we protect our kid, if sexual bullying is gong on, they may not inform parentss/teacher out of fear. Please advise how to handle these kind of situations.

thanks,
    SK

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@skalluri
    Yes, Americanized children start to date or talk about liking girls/ boys at a very young age. But that necessarily doesn't mean they are watching P*** or being sexual bullied. Your child may be getting exposed to dating and other stuff at an early age, but it is definitely not considered bullying.
    I think you should talk to your son about pros and cons of dating/ watching P***. Talk to him about these things and get him to be on the same page.
    I myself don't have children around that age group however, I do have cousins (girls) around that age. I know my aunt spoke to them about pros and cons of dating.
    I think schools in the US give Sex-education classes, which talks about birth controls and stuff. I know in Cali, most of the public schools partake in teenage pregnancy awarness. Where everyone in the class is paired with a boy or a girl and given a doll which mirrors an actual baby ( which has to be fed/ diaper changed stuff like that) This program helps the children to take sex seriously.

I may have not answered your question accurately.. hope this helps. Goodluck

sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sexual bullying is a very serious act, and while being aware of it proactively is good, you seem to be mixing it up with general talk of sex and watching prohibited videos.

So to answer your question, sexual bullying is rare. Schools have strict rules in place, and unless your child is mixing with only the wrong kind of kids, he/she will not encounter sexual bullying. There will be some kids engaging in public display of affection, have a serious bf/gf, come out as lesbian/gay, but most Indian kids go through school aware of yet oblivious to these things.

The best thing a parent can do, IMO, is talk with the child, casually and calmly. In small doses. Tell the child that in middle school there will be talk about dating, sex, and some kids will also be trying drugs. And that these are to be avoided. Suggest ways to avoid them - such as have some friends to hang out at lunch, recess.

Talk with child during school year too, keep it casual. I used to ask my kid once in a while whether any of her friends have serious gf/bf. And at times got into a light-hearted discussion on what would be my or dad's reaction if she did have one. We used these light-hearted discussions to get across the message that we will always support her, but, some things are better after a certain age only. And, also laid out some ground rules like no working on group projects in a home without an adult.

To keep the discussion light, I sometimes say 'Indian origin bf/gf' is fine... : ) and that leads to a heated 'discussion' neither is serious about..

sindmani, Srama, knbg and 2 others like this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana
    I like your parenting approach especially having light hearted discussions. I think it's very good for the children to have open-ended discussions in with strong ground rules.
    :thumbup:

Rihana likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Truth be told, bigger worries for us were like child not drinking enough water, not using the restroom at all at school, and carrying more stuff in backpack than needed. In middle school, they lug their backpack around all day, and most schools do not allow backpack with wheels - to avoid tripping risk as the entire school kids are walking to a different classroom at every bell-ring. Oh my.. I still remember the research to buy light binders, and every few weeks having child remove papers from binders and transfer to "home binders".

friscomom, sindmani, Srama and 2 others like this.