1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Salwar,Kameez,Chudidhar, Punjabi,Patiala Instructions

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by sunkan, Aug 27, 2005.

1. narmee_r

narmee_r Senior IL'ite

re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Design / Drafting/ Cutting Salwar, Chudidhar, Blouse

if u r new to stitching then what ever u stitch try with the cotton. that will be the easier one to cut & stitch. others will slips & goes somewere while cutting & stitching. so cotton material is the best for the beginers.

2. ganatarangini

ganatarangini New IL'ite

re: Sewing/Tailoring/Stitching : Design / Drafting/ Cutting Salwar, Chudidhar, Blouse

Hi Manju Ma'am,
    Irrespective of whatever material you are using for the bottom of the salwar, which is called pocha, you can use about 5 inches (width) and fold it into half so that the pocha is slightly stiff. the length will be the same as that of the around ankle of the salwar. then placing the right side of the piece on the right side of the salwar, join both the pieces and stitch, leaving about half an inch at the edge. then fold the piece again under the salwar and let the piece meet the stitches. After that stitch the piece on the edge. then once that is done, your piece has now been attached to the salwar. in order to give the pocha a stiffer look, you can stitch about two or three lines in between the two stitches used for joining. you can stitch in patterns like zigzag if you wish or you could simply stitch lines using the zigzag stitch. if you want the pocha to be bigger, for example, about 3 or 4 inches, you will have to take a bigger width say, 8 or 9 inches.In case you are using material like chiffon or georgette and you want the pocha to be very stiff you can use a canvas material which is available in tailoring shops. i hope i'm clear. if you have any doubts you can get back.

Regards,
    Vidya.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  3. home

home New IL'ite

Thanks to everyone on this site I was able to stitch a salwaar kammez and a blouse for my self . It was such a great feeling to see the end product.

I would request a little help if someone knows how to draft and cut a chudidar ,the one with chuns and hooks at the bottom. I have searched the entire site but could not find the method. Would really appreciate if someone could post a site or the procedure if they know

Thanks in advance
    manju

4. home

home New IL'ite

Re: Stitching churidhar

Hi ma'am

Can you post the method of drafting and cutting a churidar, the one with pleats at the bottom.

Thanks
    manju

5. yasmeenahas

yasmeenahas New IL'ite

Re: Stitching churidhar

hi dear friend,
    I dont know to cut the churidar pattern with measurement. Now im taking measurements by removing stitchs of an old churidar and making a pattern with that pieces.I am also searching how to take measurements and new fashions can apply to stitch a churidar.

6. willspair

willspair New IL'ite

Cutting Salwarkameez help

Dear friends,

I saw many frs like me interested in learning to stitch Chudithar. From those forums i learnt how to take measurements.
    1. I'm very new in stitching.
    2. But if anybody could help me out in guiding me to cut the material that would be greatful.
    3. Is it good to directly cut the material and stitch or do i need to first cut it in the paper ?
    4. Is there any pictures or videos to learn?
    Thanks
    Bhuvana

1 person likes this.
  7. ganatarangini

ganatarangini New IL'ite

hi, everyone,
    could someone please tell me a place where you get harem pants in bombay and which is pretty affordable?

thank you.

Vidya.

8. cutedeeps

cutedeeps New IL'ite

How to make long and short kurtas?

hi frnds
    any 1 can tell hw to stch short n long kurtas.can any1 can help
    hw to measure,hw to draw n hw to cut.
    thxs
    deepa

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  9. archu1981

archu1981 Silver IL'ite

hello vanaja maam
    i tried one salwar top with my old chunni.it came out nicely.but the arm holes im not sure .as they are a littile bit moved back from normal place.can u please tell me how to cut arm hole on main bodice.it will be very help full. thankyou
    regards
    archu.

10. kavinarayan

kavinarayan Bronze IL'ite

tailoring....patterns

hi,
    iam very much interested in tailoring...can anyone help me with a paper pattern for patiala salwar......and can anyone suggest me a good pants....to be worn at home