1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Sewing machine for mom

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by orion80, Jan 26, 2012.

1. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

This topic has been discussed multiple times but my requirements are a little different.

My mom is 55yrs old and she is very interested in stitching. She has an old Meritt sewing machine which she uses but nowadays she is unable to take the exertion. And she is a sew-aholic who will try stitching when she has even little time to spare.

I am planning to gift her a compact motorised sewing machine for her birthday. The requirements are below.
    1. Compact and motorised (must have)
    2. Embroidery option or not?: She is not into embroidery. Just stitching and zig-zag. She is interested in embroidery but didnt try it till now. But i am planning to give her something which can handle basic embroidery
    3. Ease of use: I dont want to overwhelm her with ones that have loads of options. Looking for easy to use machine which she can pick up easily
    4. Budget: 10k or below

I have seen models both in Singer and Usha but i am confused seeing the similar models. I heard that there are many other brands available nowadays.

Please suggest me the models you have used.

2. sanjov

sanjov Bronze IL'ite

i have singer 8280 which meets your requirments and has been working well. check the singer show room and try it out.

1 person likes this.
  3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the quick response. Some more queries..

Since when have you been using this model? Is this easy to use? Can you tell me the purchase price of this model?

4. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

I have been using 8280 from 7 years and its quite fine. After 6 years I have changed the bulb thats it. You need to oil it regularly nothing else. Its handy and solves the purpose. I have stitched many saree falls, bags, alterrations, many things and I love it.

1 person likes this.
  5. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Pranati.. I was worried after reading about the recent reviews on Singer quality. Your post boosted my confidence. 8280 specs are good. Will check it out in the Singer showroom.

How about Usha Dream Stitch or Sew Lite Deluxe? I am planning to look at these also.

6. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Usha I dont have any clue and most of my friends have singer so dont know about that. Singer 8280 is good and you can go with that after all its all about 7 years experience :)

1 person likes this.
  7. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Very true.. :)

Will definitely check it out in the Singer showroom.

8. Padmathai

Padmathai New IL'ite

dear Orion80,

Just waiting for more responses, particularly from someone using Usha machine. I too am looking for a similar machine... It is lovely to hear that you are planning such a thoughtful gift to your mom, am sure she will cherish it.

9. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Padma,

Thanks for your lovely words.

Me too waiting for more responses regarding Usha. I am inclined towards Usha Janome Allure after the demo in the Usha showroom. It costs around 7k and was easy to use for a newbie like me who cannot use sewing machine for anything except straight stitch :bonk

I am yet to visit Singer showroom. Need to finalize this weekend as i need to buy before the end of this week.

10. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

I am using Usha Janome wonder stitch.It is very good

1 person likes this.