1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seven Hops Around Fire

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Look what all people do to get rain. I am desisting from using the word "Crazy" because I also did something weird
    hoping it would rain. I played raga Megh Malhar on my music system this morning hoping for a downpour. Nope. Nary a cloud. .(Once earlier when my gas lighter didn't work and I could;'t find matches. Iplayed
    Raga Deepak but the gas stove didn't light up. Tansen where are you?)

So I am viewing with a bit of indulgence the marriage of two frogs solemnized in Mafhya Pradesh by, hold your breath, a state minister!

My only objection to the wedding is did they take the frogs' permission? If not then it is quite unfair. May be Ms.Frog found Mr.Frog not very handsome (Too many warts) and croaked to express her protest which was mischievously misinterpreted as "I do".
    I am sure it was a Hindu wedding. I don't think followers of any other faith follow such practices. In that case, how did they make the frogs take seven steps around fire? That is , how the hell they were convinced that they should go around the fire instead of jumping into it in sheer disgust at human stupidity. That itself must have been a remarkable achievement.

Without the seven steps the marriage would not have been valid and no less a body than the Supreme Court has said so. No seven steps means no marriage and no frog wedding means no rain. But frogs don't walk, they hop. So rules must have been relaxed for them allowing them to take seven hops.

That would be a great idea. If it still didn't rain after the wedding, they can always blame it on he hops which strictly aren't steps and id it rained hops can be described as frog steps.

Now about the wedding banquet. It must have had a few of frogs; favorite things. Was it an insect based menu?

Aw come on. Why do we go into the details. It was not a page 3 wedding but a croakers' marriage. If it rains, the frogs did it ,if it doesn't get a few more frogs into wedlock Go on performing the ritual until it rains on its own. Then you can give full credit to the frogs for that.

Sandyr46 and shyamala1234 like this.

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

That is why India is called colorful. Surprise, surprise!!!!

Balajee likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balaji,
    I am laughing and laughing!!!
    Syamala

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,
    I read your snippet seven times in the fond hope that it may rain. But even the existing clouds vanished.
    I am very much delighted that you have taken sincere steps to bring rain to Tamilnadu.Thanks a lot.

Here also , varuna japam is taking place in many temples.Priests are sitting inside cement tubs filled with water reciting mantras. It has invited more criticism that the water used may at least quench the thirst of a few hundred people.
    You have talked about Tansen, Raga Deepak and Megh mallar .I don't know whether you have heard about yet another interesting episode about Tansen. Here it is.

The jealousy people were angry against Akbar also who supported Tansen. This time they planned to kill both Akbar and Tansen.But through some spies the king was able to detect the plot. He arrested the criminals and gave death sentence. But Tansen said that he would implement the death sentence himself.The king and other ministers were amazed and expressed doubt as to how an artist, who used to be very kind hearted could implement a death sentence.
    But Akbar was sure that the criminals could never escape the punishment. If Tansen could not do it, he would implement the sentence by hanging them.
    On the appointed day all the four criminals and Tansen were locked inside a glass chamber visible to everybody.As Akbar and all ministers in the hall were watching, Tansen started singing with a Tambur in his hand. As it was a glass hall, people outside could only see what was happening & they could not listen to the music.Yet Akbar was wondering " Tansen
    has undertaken to kill the criminals, but he is giving a musical treat.'He could only see the criminals totally absorbed in Tansen's music.Half an hour was over.The criminals were totally captivated by Tansen's music.

Suddenly Akbar saw Tansen keeping his tambur down and he came out of the glass hall. The security guards went inside and confirmed that all the criminals were dead and blood was seen oozing out of their mouths.What did Tansen do?
    Now it was Tansen's turn to give explanation.
    Tansen started singing the raga called" PASAND'-meaning'which is liked'.The raga is a 'panchama varja' raga in which the swara 'PA' will be absent.Tansen brought into all the delicate patterns of the raga and the criminals listened to their heart's content.As they were almost lost in music, Tansen suddenly introduced the swara 'PA',which should not be used. The introduction of apaswara shocked all the criminals .They stared at Tansen, their eye balls did not move,blood stated oozing out of their mouths and all fell dead.

Just as pure music leads to great joy, the apaswara could just take away the life.
    Perhaps this is the power of music---- of course by great musicians like Tansen.
    Whether the anecdote is real or imaginary, we don't know. But music is really soul stirring.

Now a days there are no Tansens,no rasikas of the highest order.We are also accustomed to listening apaswaras in between.
    We can surely attend the concerts and be 100% sure of returning home alive.
    If the politicians who are responsible for taking care of water bodies, and real estate dealers who have constructed concrete jungles in the real jungle and the Govt officials who have sanctioned their projects could be withered away in one stroke, it would be worth while spending a few hundred crores on constructing a music chamber, bring a Tansen-like musician and give a trial.But those criminals should be music sensitive.
    Balaji, you should be held responsible for my bringing out a plan to do away with the criminals. Joo-----t.

Jayasala 42

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,
    Last night I saw some clouds hovering the sky in our area and immediately I took my cell phone to balcony and played a soulful song sung by Nithyasri in the raga amrithavarshini hoping to get some rain. Alas! The clouds drifted away, but later a slight drizzle showered a few drops of rain.
    In Tamilnad our ministers are performing yagas beseeching Varuna to bring rain to Chennai so that the acute water problem could be solved to some extent.
    In fact both the dravidan parties are equally responsible for the current situation. Instead of desilting the dried up lakes and tanks they sold them as plots for construction.
    PS

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Water management is zero in TN/. When a human problem could be solved through human efforts passing the buck to Varuna is not going to help. Both the dravidian parties are in league with thr water tankr mafia which stands to make considerable profit in case of drought. Drought in Chennai I must say is really good business investment.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Balajee,

As always a funny take on what's happening! Rains seem to be changing their pattern/season and marriage of frogs or not, it should be a matter of time before it pours. I was also going some meteorological dept predictions! We are supposed to get april showers for may flowers but here are we are end of june experiencing rain - I am not complaining at all. It is not as hot at least. On a serious note, I can understand the need for relief. If only there were more real jungles than concrete jungles - I don't know if it is fair enough to say that. Recently I met a person from Estonia and one of the statistics of her country she decided to share was "50% of the country is covered by trees!" I was impressed. Marrying the frogs raised more questions in my head than answering the question of rains! Enjoyed reading as always.

Balajee likes this.
  9. Ashi1515

Ashi1515 Senior IL'ite

Hahaha...funny post but why blame the minister when most of us are trying something silly but innocent to please the rain gods !!! :)

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

The last thing that Frogs are worried about is getting married that too a wedding conducted by a human being. They believe in living together much before our culture introduced that concept among human beings. Which court they go to if they need to divorce the spouse they married? They are not governed by the laws of the Supreme Court of India. During rain, they keep making noises resulting in identifying their location only to be consumed by snakes.

Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan played his Violin a few years back to get rain.Whatever happened to seeding the clouds with silver iodide? At least, that increases the business for the eye doctors as it was connected with Madras eye earlier. Chennai is paying the price for constructing residences over 100 water sources and destroying the trees throughout the city.