1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Setting Limits During Presentations

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

At work, I am trying to present Technical seminars that might be of interest and open it to few people. I even purchased light morning refreshments because when you attend Seminar, there should be light refreshments.

Presentation was attended by about 8 people. And we always say hello to each other, or joke around with each other. I was very excited about this.

First slide of presentation says Questions is last part of presentation, and I verbally requested Questions be held off till the end

Problem is, the audience doesn't wait till the end.

Part of it is my fault because I am friendly with audience member, so I don't want to be rude to them. And I was joking and kidding around with them.

But this joking and kidding around changed the atmosphere of the meeting.

But then other people start shooting off questions one after the other because they either didn't understand the topic, or understood too much beyond my level.

Many questions can be answered in later slides.

Then audience members started debating amongst themselves and I was feeling like I am being pushed over again (I guess this is called ego).

It came to a point where I had to start screaming that them to let me finish presentation, and then I can answer questions because we will loose the conference room.

At the end of meeting, I said I hope everyone had their questions answered. And I tried to go back to answer people's questions, even if it wasn't even relevant to the presentation.

I was feeling very bad after this seminar because
    1. I didn't expect these questions
    2. And I didn't manage meeting well

Then I personally visited almost all the attendees and asked for their feedback.

And to the person who I cut off in middle of argument, I explained that the time was running out, and I was concerned we would be asked to leave conference room because other people scheduled it for after us.

He insisted that everything was ok.

I got lot of great feedback on the type of content to present in future presentations. Several people said this was awesome presentation that gave new ideas and information they didn't have before.

And some gave honest feedback about providing pen and paper so people write down their questions.

Also if people joke around, don't laugh along with them, just gently press on with the presentation.

I just wanted to make sure the participants felt they were happy attending the presentation.

I think they enjoyed the banter and debate.

So here is my question.

How do I make presentation flexible so that
    1. We cover all materials in allotted time
    2. I take into account any unexpected questions I am unable to understand (due to thick accent) or am unable to answer (because I simply do not know)

The purpose of this is to inform co-workers, inspire them to think differently, create dialogue, and create linkages.

Please advise room for improvement.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@ChennaiExpress- You have already done a wonderful job. Patt yourself on your back and consider it me patting ;)
    1. You completed the seminar.
    2. Controlling the crowd which started to talk all over you. Don't feel bad for shouting at them- Dont, it is necessary to make yourself heard and that's what you did.
    3. You went and collected feedback. I think all these are a wonderful start.

For your questions-
    To cover all the material in the allotted time- Don't start the seminar with a question, don't encourage people to shoot questions while you are giving the seminar. Politely tell them to ask the questions in the end. If someone has a question say something along the lines "hold that thought, I will answer all your question in the end" or start the seminar by saying "the Q/A is at the end of the session".
    Practice the seminar material beforehand to fit the allotted time.

If there is any unexpected question reply something along these lines- "its a great question...give me sometime to get back to you with an answer" There is nothing wrong in not knowing the answer, nobody can know everything. Make an effort to research and go back with an answer to any questions you weren't able to reply.
    If you are not able to understand- ask them to repeat the question and you too repeat the same question along with the person with an accent.

I suggest allow discussion, dialogue in the end of the seminar, as they would have completed finished listening to you and you can complete the seminar by just answering or directing how the debate is flowing.

High five girlie, good job on the seminar again.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

High five!

I'm happy my audience was awake and lively!!!

Looking to do another presentation in few months!