1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sensory issues Please Help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sai19, Dec 18, 2011.

1. sai19

sai19 New IL'ite

My son who is 2 year 5 months started preschool 3 months ago .He speaks indian language at home.He is totally opposite of what he was at school.At home he is defiant , naughty and loves sitting without moving when I read books and keeps on asking please read one more book, loves doing jigsaw puzzles if I sit with him,can play with cars ,trucks,construction vehicles for any amount of time without me being there and narrates his play .He has very good memory and relates and interprets very good. He is very oral at home too.He keeps everything in his mouth but never swallow even a small piece.If we say not to do something he likes to do that but neither agressive or wild.

He goes 2 days a week for 2.5 hrs.He doesnt sit in the music. sits for sometime and runs in the middle to press piano keys or goes near chairs at the corner of room and sees wether teacher comes to take him back to circle.He has the habit of running to the hallway of school sometimes or not going in line but checks wether teacher is coming to get him.He climbs on blocks table and when the teacher says no he doesnt listen.
    He keeps everything in his mouth at school.While in the music initially he used to observe a lot but he got better and imitates what they are doing but not as much as other kids.The teacher says he needs constant redirection and does not follow directions; unless, they are holding his hand, and he is receiving one-on-one direction and supervision , prefer to play alone, does not engage with interactive eye contact with teachers and others.He is not exposed to english sentences before going to school or neither understands them but he knows words.
    He has movement patterns such as running and walking on tippy toes not all the time, or flapping movements while running.She says he has difficulty with modeling behavior, modeling play, or pretend imaginary play and does not appear to be interested or seem to grasp any part of it.But at home he does pretend.He socalizes very well with adults plays with them if somebody comes over.He didnt have much opportunities to play with peers So I am not sure about that part.

I got him evaluated from the govt, and they also got him observed with a parent teacher consultant who came to class and observed him.They said he is not having stimulation and his english is not on par with other kids( all are english speaking kids) and they dont expect a kid to sit if he is not understanding language.Some kids do sit if they are not understanding becausce they have fear and my son is fearless.He is not having the support of me saying the sentences in our language while reading books.

They disagree with them and thinks he is having sensory issues and strongly think an outside occupational therapist should come and see him in the class.
    I have checked the checklist and noticed he keeps thing in mouth,does have little bit texture problems but can swallow and chew ,he cries for haircut,brushing little battle I didnt see any major things.

I contacted an occupational therapist over phone .She said we all have some types of sensory preferences .But the frequency, intensity, duration and functional impact of these symptoms determines dysfunction.How much it is interrupting your occupation, or developmental skills or everyday functioning then only it is called disorder .She said its like a pie whole lot of things go into it.Its not just exhibiting few characteristics.It is very hard to diagnosis.Sometimes misdiagnosis happens or if instruments are not used properly it will have negative effects.
    she said some characteristics of SPD are observed in children but they may not have SPD.Level of sensitivity matters. She is insisting to talk with pediatrician first and if needed if u want peace of mind u can come for second opinion .I am planning to take him to pedaitrician.

Please pour in ur experiences and suggestions.

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI, it sounds like there are multiple things going on here.

If he has been exposed to a totally English Speaking envt only for 3 months it will take time for him to comprehend and respond functionally in school. There is the language factor, a new envirnment and routine and the fact that he has to adapt to other kids in school. His primary need, from what you say sounds like communication.

If the other kids are all primarily English speakng kids, in all probability the teacher is aware of only early language acquisition as it relates to one language. English Language learners go through this phase...in some cases they are absolutley quiet and in others they may act out . If he does have modeling and imitating difficulty you sould consult a speech language pathologist who is used to working with bilingual children.

Typically, it is a bigger concern if the child is not able to make sequential and systematic progress in the primary language...because it may mean an underlying language based need. Having said that, remember what you expect as sequential progress may not be the same as what is expected in school-their goal is to challenge the kids in a specific way so that they are prepared for the creative thinking and problem solving skills (all language based) required as the kids enter academic grades.

Here is the asha webpage (american speech and hearing association)

Learning Two Languages

...they have a list of SLPs (speech Language Pathologists) who are trained to work with bilingual children. In fact such a person may be able to educate the teacher about what is typical for your child.I am not finding fault with the teacher...but this is common. It's because they don't have the exposure of working with bilingual children.

So don't panic...you probably will have a lot to learn and in the process will teach the teacher something about working with a divergent population as well.

Pretend play: His age is well within the 'emerging' period of the stage.

He does sound like he has some sensory needs-especially tactile needs. And yes, it doesn't have to be to the level where it has to be classified as a disfuntion but as he has the other communication based need it may make adapting to the new envt difficult. It doesn't hurt to get an evaluation, and do the needful...most of the activities are play based anyway...

Good luck.

3. sai19

sai19 New IL'ite

Hi,

Thank you very much for ur reply.I think I didnt provide enough information in my previous post.He doesnt have communication problems in primary language.He is ahead in speech from childhood.I just taught him mother tongue rather than saying the sentence in both mother tongue and english .
    When the state evaluated him at 27 months his receptive language was 34 months and expressive language was 29 months .The team of evaluation has psychlogist too.
    He does narrate his play very well while playing with cars,trucks,diggers,fireengine,bus.It was mentioned to me by the service coordinator who came to take sensory information few days before evaluation.

At home he is quite opposite to what he was at school.He is very understanding if I reason it out in somethings but also has the habit of pushing to boundaries.I definetly know he is understanding but choosing not to do becausce he goes and does the same thing and laughs at us.The teacher said after 1 month that it is not defiant but he has processing problems,behavioral problems, attention problems( he has huge attention span at home).So I got him evaluated with state.They also took permisssion from me for parent teacher consultant to observe him in class.Both said he is typical ,very curious ,acting out becausce he doesnt have stimulation and fearless.
    As a mother I know he is very crazy about cars etc and always wants to play with them and cannot let it go and prefers cars etc always if there are other toys too.In the freeplay he plays by himself with them rather than giving attention to teachers pretend play, blocks .At home he is good for his age in pretend play but he is not interested to play with blocks.He understand the concepts in books and he is very good at interpreting things.for example when he was 16 months he knows his colors and shapes including pentagon(soccer ball) ,octagon ,hexagon(stop sign) .At that time he showed me my rug in the familyroom has hexagon in the middle,his toddler bed has screws in the middle of the screw there is a hexagon and my kitchen cabinets has small octagon rubbers to prevent bumping.
    I will be surprised by the way he relates everything.He is very observant and has excellent memory( knows all the routes/landmarks in our city).These are just few examples.The main reason why I said above examples is he is standing out in the clasroom.I am not understanding is it becausce of language problem ,culture problem or some sensory problem.I have seen lot of kids eventhough they are naughty at home they are disciplined at preschool but my son is reverse of what he is at home.

His preschool is open door policy so I did observe him twice.As a mother I have seen change but the teacher thinks 3 months is enough for a child to get adjusted completely.He started speaking english sentences at home .The preschool is very structured eventhough the teachers compare my son to other kids several times when they are not doing why is he doing( he runs,climbs) and I still have great respect for them.

Does anybody know how long will it take for a ELL to get adjusted in preschool.Thanks in advancs for all your replies.

4. sai19

sai19 New IL'ite

Hi ,

Thanks for ur reply. My son doesn't have any problems in primary language. He also started speaking few sentences in english.I asked the teacher to write her points and took it to the pediatrician and the pediatrician said the points she mentioned are expected for a 4 year kid who is getting ready for kindergarten.My son is a typical 2year 5 month boy and the teacher has very high expectations and maybe some kids can match her expectations .
    She also said what the pschyologist ,parent teacher consultant said. She said if I were you I would look for other options if not develop thick skin and take good from her and leave the bad.Regarding balance she said my son is not doing all the time and she feels there is no problem and they will become normal later as they grow.Regarding keeping things in mouth she says he is stimulating himself by doing that and she says u have to discipline on that and if he does that at 4 years she would worry but right now she said she wouldn't worry.
    She said she strongly feel that my son doesn't need to be seen by a occupational therapist .I believe the teacher influenced my mind so much that I may even get him occupational evaluation so that I will have no doubts in my mind.I don't want to take any chances.

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

mmm...being able to communicate is the key...and it takes anywhere from 2-4 years for children to develop basic fluency in the second language. As he is so young your son should be able to catch up without much trouble. Just give the teacher info from the ASha webpage...she may not have had much experience working with second language learners. It will help her understand that what she sees is also quite typical.