1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sensitive Topic Among College Friends

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Vedhavalli, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    Last week, my college friends in US met at a common place. We rented a big party hall. Almost half of my co- year students (then students) came. All of us were super excited,to meet. Many of us flew cross state to meet. Whole day was just like college days. Added to that 3 professors also joined us they were visiting their children.
    Organising committee worked so hard to make it happen, as 99% of us are working.
    Our pictures went viral in college fb page.
    On the whole it was a great day!
    2 days after that we got separate pings in fb from a friend , a lady married one, yet to have kids.
    This gal/lady who kept asking other females (almost 50-60 persons). Note she is from some other department not so close friends , but same college.
    1)If married and no kids - when are u planning to have kids
    2) if married and has kids - when you concieved? Is your husband above 32 so you chose to have kids?
    3)if not married - telling everyone this year we all will become oldies so get married.
    First me and my same Dept friends didn't notice. We were super excited to get connected. So replied her.
    While getting replies, she has casually told a friend , " oh you n me got married in same year, both of us don't have kids, how about your family pressure on this?"
    The friend got annoyed, pasted her entire conversation in the fb messenger to the entire batch, including guys.
    She didn't feel sorry. Many of choose to ignore. But it came into light why she is comparing her life with others.
    Asking questions is okay, but asking everyone of them is so bad , it's like psychological issue, some anxiety.
    Just wanted to share...

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I am assuming she's suffering due to no child, maybe going through a lot due to her family pressure. So she may have been trying to take statistics to report back to her family.
    "See am not the only one, this many people also don't have kids".

Sweety82, shravs3, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  3. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Well posting the entire conversation on the group was also not the right thing to do.

sindmani, shravs3 and anika987 like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

She may be having some psychological issue, possibly due to her childlessness.
    Adding to that, it is understandable that she must be presurized by the family.
    Her problem and pressure that make her discuss such matters with friends upon reunification. Because possibly, this is what running in her life.
    If it is me on her place, I would rather talk extensively on career and how best we are balancing work and life. Because that is what eating up my mind since a long time. In fact, I discuss this with everyone, so discussing the same with my old buddies wouldn't be a taboo for me.
    I understand... such repeated or unrelated discussions can be so boring for those who are not in the same boat.
    But there is a way to avoid this. There is a diplomatic manner to ignore or omit such talks without hurting the other fellow, specially after knowing she is battling with childlessness, and possibly affected by that psychologically.
    To know this, you don't need statistics or expertise. It is understandable, right.

What kind of a mentality to post private chats in public forums, and feel OK about it?
    It is rude and shows the ill-manners of that friend of yours.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

No matter what...your friend posting it in FB was a mean thing to do.

sindmani likes this.
  6. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Understand your friends frustration. The lady asking personal questions most definitely have some anxiety or insecurity issues. Your friend could have replied like " You seems be in lots of tension. We are here to enjoy. So no personal problems or queries please. I am not comfortable to discuss" or anything along that lines. To be honest, sharing her entire conversation to all common friends, seems a bit cruel to me.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Everyone has different problems in life, medical professional personal. Not all maybe comfortable sharing on a public platform..
    Your classmate may not be able to establish a good rapport with some people atleast after this..

8. Rosey2018

Rosey2018 Bronze IL'ite

Everyone has worries and fears. Its upto each individual how they discuss it and treat others and behave in a mature manner. Some of the behaviour that was mentioned seemed very teenager like.

9. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Yes I too felt that. Behaving like teens

Rosey2018 likes this.
  10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

True

anika987 likes this.