Sensible Shopping? Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Needtobestrong, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I put this thread here in general discussions rather than fashion so I'll get a better response that's all..
    Addressed mostly to ladies in India...
    Many of my friends and relatives of my age group , living in India and abroad, keep posting pics of themselves in trendy clothes of latest fashion..they do not seem to repeat a single dress also..
    Some dresses look like expensive branded ones..
    Observed same with ex colleagues in my previous workplaces..
    My ex colleagues would spend atleast one hour everyday during lunch hour browsing for clothes of latest fashions from online sites and would also order often..every few days, one or the other colleague would collect some package and open it and we would all ooh and aah, seeing the pretty little piece, maybe a little black dress or a sleeveless Kurti or a short top etc..any fashion sale in showrooms or online , they would immediately purchase in thousands of rupees..
    I did Do lots of shopping during initial days of career but after quitting job I lost interest due to low confidence levels..
    I was wondering, there is a limit for the amount of wardrobe and storage space that anyone would have, and how can we buy and flaunt clothes of latest designs without just accumulating more clothes that we can fit into wardrobe?
    Is it practical to just give away or donate clothes worn just once or twice in good condition just because they aren't so much in fashion anymore and to make way for new clothes ? If it's bought years before I can understand, but if bought some months back and used just once or twice?
    Those who are working will have to dress very well due according to work environment and also have a regular income so they can spend some amount every month on clothes, cosmetics, accessories etc..now I'm a housewife due to family responsibilities, so I don't splurge much on clothes and prefer to make do with the ones i have and buy new ones only for festivals..

few of my close ones keep criticising my dressing sense and compare how other ladies my age dress better and how I'm not making enough efforts ..I did listen to them and bought few outfits, but I was thinking how practical is it for a housewife who steps out only occasionally, to splurge on clothes every now and then without making a big hole on finances?how can I overcome the temptation to buy some outfit which looks really good but not really required for me?

PS: I love shopping and I'm not all judgemental, just getting a perspective from the savings point of view..

sindmani likes this.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Unless the paparazzi is stalking me I could care less if I repeat clothes in pics. I do get what you say, I have noticed the same amongst family in India and wondered about it too. I suspect there might be sharing of clothes between friends and family that helps with this.

Most of my clothes last for a couple of years, So I do retire some outfits and bring them back in a year or two. I don’t follow trends for this reason but buy something I know I can wear later as well.
    Don’t burn a hole in your pocket to keep up with what you see on Facebook. Ironed and well fitting clothes with neat hair , decent footwear and you should be good to go. You can also change your accessories with the same top/ dress and could totally pull it off as a new look.

3. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Feels like someone just read my mind out loud. Personally, I feel buying clothes every now and then is a dead investment. I for one really don't feel the urge to splurge every now and then. But have seen so many 'friends' here in US buying like its doomsday. I find it utterly ridiculous. I rarely buy clothes. Last time I went on spree was 4 years ago before I had my first one.

Also one funny thing, I have seen friends going for window shopping, dressing up in the changing room and taking photos and uploading. So point is don't go by Facebook post :lol::roflmao:
    I know one of my friends friend goes for shopping every weekend. If she finds out someone is going to India, she sweet talks and hands over 23 KG bagful of clothes to be delivered to her sister in India who in return sends her the same bag with full of ethnic clothing..

4. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Oh I knew someone long back she would wear the jackets n coats with tag n later go back n return ,how I know bcz I saw the tag n asked u still have the tag take it out she then told me y...but should appreciate her honesty!!

Needtobestrong and Sandycandy like this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Recently I started feeling that clothes are a dead investment as well..because they go out of fashion easily, and if weight fluctuates too much the clothes become unusable..better to have a decent collection of carefully planned and purchased outfits than to spend a bomb on excessive clothes that are just piling up , half of them with tags still on and not yet used..
    After knowing about your friends, it makes me wish I had a sister of the same age group and size with whom I could do such "exchange deals"! :D

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP, everyone is different and have different indulgences. For women its mostly fashion and dress up and problem is we notice each other and judge by clothing, no matter what we say.

In my younger days, I have spent a lot, literally and collected. Now, becoming wiser and age/body shape/different situattions and low confidence, my interests have changed. I splurge on other things.

I have similar FB friends, who seem to be following every fashion trend before even fashion websites show it. And I have friends who do not eat food at all so they can remain in shape to be able to dress latest. My sister in India have tonnes of clothings and I feel bad sometimes. I think we need to let it go and stop chasing others. For that we need to have our head on our shoulders.

It happens when we see some friends and we like to spend/ buy too and on/off thats fine. After all life is short. I tell you, I have close family friends and I go there, every time they show me their expensive wardrobe proudly and I feel how i have changed as I was same at some point. Here in US, I do not have many friends and people usually do not comment on others clothings unless very close.
    But I go to India and I take my best and new clothes to wear there, and I hear so many things from them. I wear cheap quality clothes and not- trendy. You know how US clothes ( normal priced) can not stand indian detergents and pill before even first wash and how thin, synthetic and unfit clothes are here.
    So I go through same pains and feel like coming back to US.
    I would say, balance yourself. Now a days, everything is in trend, atleast in US and in western clothes. In India, fashion changes in 3 months. So wear whatever you want. Allot a budget to your monthly purchase and on and off you splurge.

I do not have many friends and do not go out much. Thats advantage, I do not get much to compare or nothing motivates me much to buy in terms of fashion or shopping.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  7. Needtobestrong

:roflmao:

8. Needtobestrong

Yes i agree with ur reply..well balanced approach.

Sandycandy likes this.
  9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Sale: I buy mostly during Sale time n as n when I require according to festivals / parties / functions. As during sale time, I end up getting atleast 2 dresses for the price of one.

Mix n match: I mix n match, so when I wear the same dress again, I accessorise with different jackets or bottoms or something, so it doesn't look the same.

Group cycle: I try to avoid wearing the same clothes when with the same group.

Batch cycle: I also store a batch n wear it after a some time.

Trend: I don't follow this, I go more for my body type n what I like. So my clothes doesn't get restricted due to this.

Cost: I don't like paying too much until unless the occasion warrants for it, which is rare. I don't run behind brands blindly, but more behind the dress itself. so I like buying mostly only when I get good deals.

Physical store: if you are regular to malls, this comes in very handy as I have seen some really awesome deals. But the crowd scares me, so I avoid.

Local markets: this is very cost effective, requires patience n good eye. But not for everyone, I haven't tried this in years.

Online shopping: I personally prefer this as I feel the varieties are limitless. And also can do from anywhere, anytime. Compare prices. Easy returns.
    So I shortlist the ones I like, for e.g, this will be about 30 designs, then shortlist even further, about 10-15 designs. Will log out n come to it after a few days to see what I really like. Then it will go down to 4-5, after that I will decide on the occasion, price, style, etc then go for 1-2. Or I don't shop for some months n will get In bulk in one go, esp during sale time.

Storage / cupboard space: haha, this is the most challenging one out of all. If you have limited space, folding them, stacking them neatly works, I also have boxes or separate cupboards in different floors where I keep my winter wears, ethnics, rarely used clothes separately. N fill my cupboard with the clothes I use at that time / season.

Giveaway: you can also give away, I do give a lot to our maids, or give if friends / cousins want something.

Or you can also modify old clothes like sarees to dress, dupatta to long shrug.

10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Making enough efforts for what? Your dressing is entirely your preference and there is no need to compare or rate yourself against anyone or any social media pics. In any case, fashion is overrated. And, the craziness doesn’t end if one tried to chase the trends. Stick by the rule simple living high thinking!!

Nope not practical. Don’t waste money. Wearing clean, untorn clothes is a standard but nowhere is there an unwritten code to wear fancy clothes, never repeat same clothes, compete in social media to look better. Sure if we are models, but are we?;)

Needtobestrong likes this.