Senses sans sensibility - Bhagavad Gita Verse 2.58

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 29, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The detached and unshakable nature of a man of established intellect is based on the principle of non-attachment. Such non-attachment develops naturally with the growth of awareness of the Self, as separate, from activity.
    This same natural state of non-attachment is at the basis of activity in the state of steady intellect even when the senses remain "withdrawn " from their objects, as shown in the following verse:

Yadaa samharathae chaayam, kumO(a) ngaaneeva sarvas(h)a:
    IndriyaaNeendriyaarthaebhya: thasya prajnaa prathishtithaa 2.58

Moreover, when he completely withdraws the sense organs from the sense objects like a tortoise withdrawing its limbs, his knowledge becomes firm.

"How does he sit" (kim aseetha) was one of the questions of Arjuna who wants to know how a sthithaprajna will behave in the midst of the tempting objects of the world outside, without being ambushed by them. This verse answers that.

It is mentioned that a man of steady wisdom has the special knack of withdrawing his senses from all the disturbing fields of objects. The simile is very effectively used.
    The example of tortoise is very vivid and expressive.
    A tortoise on its slow move brings out its head, its four limbs and tail so long as it feels it is in a safe place. But when it feels even a suspicion of danger, it immediately withdraws them into the shelter of its shell-fortress, with perfect ease and spontaneity.

The man of perfection disciplines himself so well that the six factors with which he perceives the world, object after object – the five sense organs and the mind – are all entirely under his control. They play in the field of sense-objects and at the slightest apprehension of temptation, he can, at will, easily withdraw the mind and the senses from the objects.

The wise person must have the capacity to manage his mind and senses. The senses only report to us, what is happening. But sense pursuits do not happen to a man without his action or signature! He has to learn to withdraw the senses, at will, from the objects and into oneself. This ease is not with us now and so, we fall a prey to their enchantments and suffer tragedies.

To reach a state of sovereign freedom, to live in the world, but not be of it, ever at will, enjoying the grandeur of beauty in it, but not falling a victim to its hallucinations and magical enchantments is the goal of all spiritual life.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Thanks for another great post. This principle of non attachment is like a thread woven throughout Gita. One can only be firm in knowledge when one learns to completely withdraw the sense organs. I was also just wondering in my mind the question that Arjuna has raised. So the man of perfection has had to discipline himself in order to achieve the near impossible of withdrawing mind from the senses. For this act to be accomplished one has to be alert at all times. When one has to learn to be in the world but not of it one has to put in a lot of practice mostly by the mind and intellect. I remember a story I once read on this regard. One man owned 2 pet parrots. one of them managed to escape. The other felt very sad. Wondering how to escape. Then the other parrot sent a message, Pretend to be dead. So this parrot not knowing why pretended to be dead. The owner saw this and cursed and opened the cage to clean when the parrot flew away. This was specifically for to be of the world and not of it. Thanks again for writing.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Withdrawing one’s senses from the objects is one of the most difficult aspects of mind control. Even the greatest Rishis of yore succumbed to their senses from time to time. Indra was adept in corrupting the minds of great Rishis who he considered as a potential threat to his power and glory. He used Menaka to make the sages succumb to her wily sensuousness and lose their power of Tapas. Viswamithra, one of the greatest sages of yore, succumbed to Menaka and fathered Shakunthala. Vibhandaka, another great sage, succumbed to Menaka and begot a son through her and that was the legendary Rishyasringa.

Jamadagni’s wife, Renuka, was so chaste that she could fetch water for her husband from a nearby river with a pot made of wet clay on the river bed. One day she saw a reflection of a Gandarva in the river water and lost her poise for a split second and that momentary lapse resulted in her forfeiting the power to make a pot out of wet clay. Jamadagni ordered his son Lord Parasurama to behead his mother as a punishment for her momentary lapse. The son carried out His father’s command but later got her restored to her life out of a boon granted to Him by His father.

These are all instances to show how difficult it is to keep our senses reined in. According to the theology of Confucius, you do your hearing, not with your ears, but with your mind; not with your mind, but with your very soul. But let the hearing stop with the ears. Let the working of the mind stop with itself. Then the soul will be a negative existence, passively responsive to externals. And that negative state is the fasting of the heart. It is amazing that this Confucius philosophy so closely resembles what the Lord says in this verse of Gita. From the sense organ to the soul, each performs its actions without being influenced by the other. This way a sensuous sight or word totally loses its sensuousness by the time it reaches the soul.

For most of us, the mind starts processing the data communicated to it by the sense organs. This is quite acceptable if the mind stops with it and initiates action essential to the information it receives. For example, if the eyes see a poisonous snake coming towards us, the mind immediately on receipt of the data communicated by the eyes initiates defensive action. But the eyes keep seeing so many things and as sense organs they keep transmitting whatever they see to the mind. They do not sit on judgement whether what they see should be communicated to the mind or not. But the mind is the one that analyses the data and decides what to do with it. So mind becomes the filtering point and its job is thus very significant. ‘Reining in our senses’ does not mean banishing our sense organs from doing their basic functions. It only means that the Mind should be trained to insulate the Soul against the harmful effects of what the sense organs convey. The Mind should not initiate such action that will negate the existence of the Soul.

There is a famous Tamil film song written by Kannadasan that asks us if the legs can go the way the eyes travel and if the mind can go the way the legs lead us to. In a wise man, the functions of the sense organs, the mind and the soul are strictly compartmentalised. Each stops with its intended function and not leads the other to destruction. The law of Confucius states this beautifully.
    Sri

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear C & C,

I know I cannot beat the other C (AC?), in being the first to give feedback to your (as usual, as always) wonderful posts ! But I think you have touched upon the greatest impediment to mental peace and balance - temptation. I would like to share my thoughts in the perspective of not just the sense organs, but of our tendencies !

Nothing is ever going to be enough for anyone. "Be ambitious", "Challenge yourself", "Be the best - get the best" are things which we hear in different contexts in our lives - more so, these days, I guess, when benchmarks for success and happiness seem to be pre-defined ;-) :).

There is always going to be a 'better paying job' or a 'more luxurious house' or 'someone else whose kids are always getting first rank in school'. Where do we draw the line? I suppose when this 'quest' (rat race??) starts, thanks to the various modern lifestyle temptations that we keep encountering, then there is no end to it really.

It is OK to experience the variety and challenges that life has to offer. After all, God created various things / helped man discover / invent various things only for us to experience in our lifespan. But that should not become a greedy desire and a motive strong enough to disturb the mind and the simple pleasures of humble living.

Please keep your Gita posts coming.
    Thanks and love
    Your IL disciple,
    Pavithra

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    Another very interesting post from Gita explaning about the senses.Controlling the senses is a real tough task to acheive.But if one masters that art, then he reaches the state of what you have explained as a man of steady wisdom.Your example of tortoise made the understanding easier.Once the senses and the mind are under our control, the only thing we will visualise is god and it will be our ultimate goal and nothing else can break that thought flow.

Thanks Chithra.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    My..my how do you come up with so apt examples that suit the leader post by chithra? Bowto you.It really makes my understanding better and leaves a trail on the mind.I mull over the Gita topic based on the example you quote everytime.Thanks a lot.
    Today's post is also well supported by your apt examples.Indeed Rishis dreaded Indra for he had a strong liking to disrupt every other rishi's tapas.Your quoting from Confucius philisophy was very interesting.Hear with ear send to mind and then to soul- passively respond to the outer world ..hmm... real food for thought!

Ofcourse , the kanni ponna pokile song is a good anology here.If we can channelise and compartmetalise our mind and actions, yes, we are sure heading towards the steady state mind.

Thanks for this wonderful post Sri.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Pavithra
    You have raised a very relevant point and let me try to answer it with a question.
    Let us assume that you are headed towards a particular destination on some important mission. On the way, you come across a place which is as good as paradise on earth. You find it extremely difficult to leave that place and move further. Will you forget your mission and your destination and settle down in this wayside place just because it is so alluring?
    Success in life is relative. In evaluating it, what can we keep as our Benchmark? Antilla, the new house that Mukesh Ambani is building? The wedding that Laxmi Mittal celebrated of his daughter? Whatever it may be, our Spiritual quest must progress steadily. It may not appear much relevant when the fantasies of youth clog our minds. But it will become an all consuming passion as we grow older and become tired of materialism. Remember the story of Yayathi? It has a profound message for humanity that the transient nature of material possession and youth can never bring lasting happiness.
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Aishu
    When I first read a bit of Confucius in the form of his quotes, I was struck by his simplicity and the amazing similarity to the thoughts conveyed in our own Scriptures. The more I explored this area of comparative religion, I found that almost all, Sufis, Buddhists, Christians, had a striking similarity.
    I agree with you that the dubious methods that Indra resorted to in disrupting the Tapas of great Rishis show him in poor light. It was not as though he was allowed to go scotfree for all his misadventures but the stringent punishments and curses that he received never had any effect on him!
    Sri

9. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

Thanks for your ever-lucid interpretation of the Gita slokas. If we learnt who a Sthithapragya is last week, this week it is how to become one. So, this is a very precious and extremely useful verse. The example of tortoise provides much clarity. The following paragraph sums it all up and should be kept as a frequent reminder.
    The wise person must have the capacity to manage his mind and senses. The senses only report to us, what is happening. But sense pursuits do not happen to a man without his action or signature! He has to learn to withdraw the senses, at will, from the objects and into oneself. This ease is not with us now and so, we fall a prey to their enchantments and suffer tragedies.

Dear Sri

The following statements are very profound - It only means that the Mind should be trained to insulate the Soul against the harmful effects of what the sense organs convey. The Mind should not initiate such action that will negate the existence of the Soul.

Unlike the Rishis who need a Menaka to get distracted, we are distracted and fall prey to whatever we see, hear and feel in our day to day life. We get provoked at the drop of a hat, hurt even faster than that. Your elucidation reminds me of the popular quote known to all -
    “Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
    Watch your words, for they become actions.
    Watch your actions, for they become habits.
    Watch your habits, for they become character.
    Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
    Our words, actions habits, character and destiny all spring from our thoughts. Many thanks to you both for your strong reminder to manage mind and senses...!

-Gayathri.

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    The example you have given is just perfect.
    The five sense organs are like five beams flowing out of every individual like antennae & give us the complete knowledge of the external world. These stimulii, on reaching the mind, provide all the disturbances !
    To a Yogi, this comes by practising Pranayama very regularly.
    A vedantin has to develop this using his discriminative faculty.
    Love,
    Chithra.