Senior Level In Big Company Or Lead Level In Small Company?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by jillcastle, Jan 13, 2017.

1. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

@jillcastle congrats on your new opportunity and congrats on your baby news :)

I had similar situation but not exactly same .I was expecting a promotion and transfer to different department in my same company ( I had to attend interview and go through all the formalities like joining in new company ). This happen when I was 3 months pregnant. I didn't inform anybody and behaved normal . I cleared interview and got new offer . Around my 5th month ( my tummy was not fully visible ) i have informed them that I am pregnant. ( My lead commented "you got pregnant in wrong time "!!:openmouth: But was very cooperative:blush:) That too like how I should go on leave ,work from home etc.

I started my work from home in 9 th month .Worked untill one week before my due date then went on maternity leave.

2. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

Its a tricky situation. But you cannot hide your pregnancy for a long time. Its better to share the truth with the client and make arrangements of your backup support while you are on mat leave. Ultimately the client is focused on your experience and knowledge so as far as the deliverables are not effected in your absence the client should be ok.

You will need to work on detailed plan with your manager first, who will be responsible for what in the project setup, the point of contact for client, the deadlines, different phrases of the project, so on and so forth. And provide your inputs in the areas you can contribute before you go on leave. Presenting a detailed plan to the client should make the situation better.

Good Luck!

3. happygolucky22

happygolucky22 Silver IL'ite

You are not bound to share your pregnancy news. Your consultancy is right you should not share and join the new job.. work for few months and if you feel like then you can share the news. One of my friends colleague was 23 weeks pregnant and finally an indian lady co worker walked up to her to ask if she is pregnant lol.. that's when she said yes. My point is you can keep the news to yourself as long as you want. No hurry. Keep doing good work in your new company and share after few months when you have a good repo established in the team.

4. Sags

Sags Silver IL'ite

I second this . Show your work and then you can share the news.

5. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

happygolucky22, even my DH was saying the same, to keep the news to myself as long as possible. I was only confused what my manager might think cos there is a possibility they may hire me if they like me. Just didn't want to jeopardize the situation by lying. But I agree I am not bound to share my pregnancy news.

Thank you all for the inputs. I have decided not to share the news as of now.

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I know this is an old thread, however, here is my input (general input and not for this particular instance).

During the final selection, I am wary of the teams I work for and the culture and etiquette of the firm. I don't mind being a minion for the rest of my life in a company where I am amazed everyday of the ideas and discussions. To me, that stimulation matters the most. Usually, in the firms I have worked for, employees on their leaving-do send out a farewell memo of gratitude on how their stint in the company has shaped their thinking. One might think such memos are perfunctory. Notwithstanding, everyone thanks the same set of people and prominent culture which is very specific to the firm. I intend to do the same one day. Email ten people and few groups who hardly know of my existence telling them how much I have learnt through passive listening just by eaves-dropping on their talks.

To me more than the prospect of my position in the company, the intellectual infrastructure of the firm matters the most whether I would be able to learn through mimesis. You will be amazed at the range of ideas that originate in these breeding grounds. Regardless of a lead or an ordinary staff, if the company is reputed for such intellectual hold, I would take the offer because passive learning is an effortless learning.

Well, now that I have confounded you enough, I meant, look for companies where you can thrive in a manner that builds up your character. If you are spending nine hours a day in a team, ensure that you are spending with the right-minded folks who will influence you with their competence. Big or small or brand or foray or lead or cog, environment and the work culture within matters the most more than one's own position or size or multi-nationality of the company. Don't ignore that facet in a career.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017