1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Citizens Of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Apr 4, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Senior citizens of wisdom

We live in an upmarket complex housing around 1000 flats and 1000 villas with all the frills like swimming pools,tennis courts.badminton courts,banquet hall etc.A mini supermarket,a pharmacy,24/7 nursing assistance supported by ambulance etc. Most of the residents are highly qualified and well placed IT professionals in their early forties.Almost 100 flats have senior citizens living with their children,a few of them having lost their spouse.There are three senior citizen groups like GAMAPA[Grand mother grand father association], one group essentially of seniors from the north and our group from the Deccan plateau-we call ourselves senior citizens of wisdom.We are around 25 and comprise of engineers,doctors,airline professionals,marketing professionals,professors,railway executives etc.You will observe that there is no vested interest in forming the group except to find space and enjoy companionship.The association has provided chairs under a gazebo a little far away so that nobody will know what we are talking about.We are in the age group of 65-85 and I am the third senior most person.

We meet every evening for an hour and a half and indulge in a light hearted banter.Adult jokes,communal issues and gossip about other residents are strictly prohibited.I am called chairman and reserved a seat though a disgruntled senior not happy with the embargo on some subjects calls me Head Master.One gentleman who walks behind his wife unable to cope up with her speed is called the faithful follower. One gentleman who speaks very fast is called the bullet train.A senior [85]who keeps track of other members movement is called GPS.The name has become so popular that his wife herself refers to him as GPS.One more gentleman is called 15 lakhs as he continues to hope for the credit promised years back by the government.

Most of them are well placed,earned well and financially independent besides building a nest for their children. Barring single men, there is no dire necessity for any of them to stay with their children.Adhering to the norm,health issues,emotional support from children seem to drive the seniors to the care of their children.Somebody to take care of the house,grandchildren,drop and pick them up when the school bus arrives and cooking in double income families drive the children to invite their parents to stay with them apart from genuine concern about the well being of the seniors.

All of us are well dressed.Some of them in their seventees still use dye and when complimented as handsome they blush like teenagers. Without dentures they are a delight to the little ones at home.Many of them wear T shirts printed with IBM,COMMON FLOOR,ACCENTURE etc handed over by their sons.Any outsider seeing seniors in company T shirts will be wondering why these companies are still keeping old fellows in employment.

The main topic discussed is health issues and every one will offer a solution.The second topic concerns association issues.Dropping interest rates,expensive habits of the current generation,loose handling of grandchildren etc keep us in animated discussion. Other topics of interest are how to handle a tough DIL,are seniors relevant,what is friendship,how to spend time gainfully etc.One question I recently asked the seniors about their adolocent romance stumped them.There was pin drop silence.One gentleman summoned courage and said that his romance failed but he[ 74] continued to have inoffensive chat with her[65 a grand mother] and this was objected to by his family. Another gentleman a Major [tamilian] married his sweet heart a Malayalee,his neighbour in the army quarters.They have three well placed children.The sad thing is they cannot agree on anything and the day begins and end with quarrels.The lady is economically very well off.Where has all the love gone? Most of them had some romantic inclination or other, failed or otherwise but this had not affected their marital relationship and in fact it borders on devotion.
    On DILS they seek my opinion as I have no DIL and therefore will give an unbiased opinion.One gentleman complained that his DIL conveys everything through her husband.My simple reply was that either she is scared or feels that he is a stranger.Behave like a father with indulgence.This advice when followed completely reversed the situation.One gentleman says that he had a fight with his daughter on CAA and wanted me to give him a well researched article to pin her down.

All of us are forgetful.One gentleman repeats an anecdote for the tenth time and others clap because they too don’t remember to have heard it.When breath becomes shorter and anecdotes become longer it is a sign of old age, goes a saying.One palghat iyer is completely bald and says age is catching up with him.Mami[his wife] says that he lost his hair in his mid thirtees and just to prove that he was not born bald he keeps his hairy version photograph prominently displayed at his home.Though a lion outside he becomes a lamb once his wife serves molagootal which she only can make.

On the whole it is an interesting evening every day away from the real and imaginary problems.We celebrate birthdays with a party by contribution.Sixies get a party,entering 70 get a silver coin and entering eighty get a shawl apart from the party.When a suggestion was made to garland[sandalwood] the eighties it was turned down on the plea that garlands are reserved for the final journey.

Srama, Thyagarajan, kkrish and 4 others like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Single, independently wealthy men, who own housing in an upmarket complex ? Why aren't they getting married ?

A few years ago I saw one "Satyameva Jayate" program, run by one of the Khans of bollywood, where he and his audience celebrated the marriage of a senior, and encouraged all available ones go ahead and marry.

Although Amir Khan showed a Senior marrying another Senior, I am sure many young things would gladly marry a gentleman of substantial independent means, and especially one who is owning upmarket flat.

[​IMG]
    “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”
    ----- Jane Austen

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”
    ----- Jane Austen

There is emotion involved behind relationship-I liked what Deepika padukone said referring to a broken relationship with another star.In todays context of demand supply equation girls have a wider choice instead of hitching on to cardiac,diabetic, prostrate and gastro patients.What you say can happen with a traditionally rich man and not with a middle class person who is now saving for his grand children after accumulating a kitty for his children.There is now a perceptible change in opinion on the institution of marriage and old chaps cannot even digest a discussion on the subject.Thanks for the interesting angle you have given to the issue.
    Regards SLN.

Thyagarajan and Amulet like this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Made interesting reading. I think it is a wonderful way of being engaged and spend time in the company of ones peers at this age too, instead of being either cooped up in the home or going on lonely walks. I would say you are all naturally priveleged to be in such a position. God bless.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.As Aristotle said man is by nature a social animal and an individual who is unsocial naturally is beneath our notice. The one and a half hour rendezvous every day keeps our spirits high until we meet again.
    Regards SLN

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@sln, thank you for the delightful peek into your complex and especially the wise senior citizens' group. My father had a group of buddies who met every month and I always wondered what they chatted about. Now I know! :D

PS: I absolutely love the members' nicknames. :lol:

7. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

As humans we need company and the silvers need it more because they have other options to occupy themselves. At home either they are alone or with spouse. There is not much to talk among them accept some daily routine and children and that too has some limits. After some time it becomes repetition only.
    It is a good idea to have a seniors group of same sex. Women can have a separate group. This way they can talk freely.
    These groups share their talents like singing and playing musical instruments.
    And as Amulet said, there are ambitious young girls looking for marrying wealthy seniors on the verge of retiring from life.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

• Sad to read your comment on what a middle-class-person is consigned to in his entire life: First save money for his children, and then save money for his grand children.
    • "old chaps" cannot even digest a discussion of a plausible last call to a thrilling finish ? Doubly sad...
    • All those chronic conditions are likely exacerbated in living with an ornery DIL and a son who has to obey, or lose privileges. Triply sad.
    A win-win situation, ain't it ? I remember only recently there was this about a perfect manner of exit:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    HariLakhera, Thyagarajan and sln like this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.Our group activity extends beyond the evening get together. If I am alone at home for a couple of days a senior friend will come and stay with me.[I dont like to travel on a holiday] Further this gives me unfettered access to kitchen and I make merry with jayasree kitchen,Hebbar kitchen and the great Yogambal sunder receipes. Sometimes friends accompany me to hospitals when I dont want children to know what is wrong and worry about me.When somebody pops off,youngsters are in a fix what to do.The whole gang will descend on the scene and take care of the arrangements.In short the group has blossomed into an extended family.
    SLN

Amica, Thyagarajan and joylokhi like this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Of late I find that there is nothing much in common between seniors and their children. They are in a different orbit as far as income,lifestyle,credit card usage,undue indulgence to satisfy every whim of their kids etc are concerned.Neither seniors are consulted nor their unsolicited intrusion tolerated.Not many seniors know the salary of their children not that it matters.That was not the case with me atleast. Secrecy at home leads to a pressure cooker situation and our group lets the steam escape.An anchor however is required to steer away from controversial subjects as seniors by nature are unswervable in their opinion on any subject.This may be one reason why youngsters avoid consulting seniors.
    Regards .SLN