1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sending money to MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shari2003, Feb 7, 2012.

1. apaasn

apaasn Gold IL'ite

Hey,

I read your post but havent read the other replies,my husband too sends money to his parents,1000$ and more,I understand how you feel but till today I have never asked him or let the whole thing bother me,I always tell myself its his money his parents and he has the right to send it to them even though I dont like his mother i try not to let it bother me.

I just want to tell you dont let it affect you,you have a good job,you have kids,you have a good life,be thankful and remember there are worse things than husband sending money to his mother.(read other posts in the same forum)The reason he hid it from you is because he cared abt your feelings,he didnt want to hurt you so he hid it from you,take it that way because thats what he probably wanted to do,dont fight for it.Forget it and deal with it.

1 person likes this.
  2. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi shari,

Your worry is he is not transparent when it comes to financial matters. Can you open an account for yourself and save your salary there so that your husband can spend for family and others.
    Many indian men thinks when it comes to investment wife will not smartly invest. Like MF,ULIP, chit..etc., which are of greater risk. SO he may object when you are investing money on those. I don't think he will have problem if investment is wise and good for future.

3. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hi Pranatim,
    Yes, I do understand that this is a very common issue faced in the Indian household, irrespective of what kind of people inlaws are, their social/ financial status etc. I quite understand that I should not be talking about it at all and don’t talk too. I shall try and be happy about the fact that at least he is not depriving us of anything.

4. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hi Apaasn,
    Your reply was full of positive energy. It has certainly made me take things in a better way. I am not too sure of why he hid that from me, because he is a person with a very low EQ, and does not think of how hurt I might be with all that. However, it certainly feels a lot better to think that he hid it to not make me feel bad about the transaction.

5. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hi Pallavi,
    Yes, treatment from inlaws has been bad. I am a person who normally keeps good relations with people, but that cannot happen for some reason with inlaws! For instance, MIL has given a portion of the house she lives in on rent. It has been rented out to someone who people in the neighbourhood say are not good (bad morally). Since it is a prime locality in this town, MIL would definitely get good families to rent the portion out, and I suggested she gives the portion to someone else after vacating them. But, MIL just ignored that (though all her relatives know how bad that family is). She does not vacate them because the lady staying there does petty jobs for MIL. Now a days it has gone so bad that MIl even goes and has her dinner there. As I mentioned, I used to feel very bad about it earlier, that I am not considered a part of the family, and she does not consider what I say, but these days I don’t think much about it.
    Yes, my mom staying with me is partially a reason for all this. Initially DH was the one who invited my mom to move in with us when our house was being constructed. She supported us, in fact put most of her savings into our house. And now, how can I push her out of the house??? She has been telling me that she would move out and stay in her own house, but, I just cant do it! In fact, I have told DH that he can ask my mom to move out if that is what is bothering him…Regarding how much mom helps us and all that, I earlier used to make it a point to tell him about it. These days I don’t, because he gets agitated at times saying still we are providing her with food and other things, and that she is brainwashing me and the lil one.
    I just hope these things stop affecting me…

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. bukbuk

bukbuk Silver IL'ite

Sadly, I think your dh is not a very good human being :(
    I gather you are an only child and your dad is no more ? ( forgive me if am wrong). It's just humanity to let your mom to stay with you. One doesn't need to be god for doing that. It looks like your dh is quite selfish and has love for just his mom but his wife's mom is nothing to him? At least he can respect her because she is an elderly lady.

Also, since he's away and you are staying alone, it's nice that your mom is staying with you and its a win-win situation. But your dh is too blind to see it.

Anyway, i guess there's no way you can change your dh because it seems to be his inherent nature. Some people are like that in this world. You cannot do anything about it. If you accept it and learn to live with it, your life will be peaceful.

7. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Yes Bukbuk!
    It was with so much difficulty that I accepted the fact that DH is not a good human being; not him alone, but MIL and his siblings too lack the basic human aspects of love towards other beings in society, consideration and empathy. I have accepted all that; what to do, cannot spoil life because of all that. He is least considerate and is very, very selfish. I have a very bad migraine problem and once in a while complain of the aggravated headache, but not even once has he asked me how I feel L. Ours was an arranged marriage and I/ my family had been too naïve to check on all this.. well! I accept it as my fate.
    Coming to my family; I lost my father when I was 8. Mom was employed then too and thus she managed to give me good education and inculcated good values in me. I am her only child. She got me married to DH’s family because she thought they would understand what I might have gone through because my FIL had also passed away at a very young age of my DH (10 years). But, it proved wrong and I accepted the bitterness.
    I don’t say that I have been 100% right in everything; I was a pampered kid and expected my DH and in-laws to pamper me too.. I soon understood that my expectations where very far from reality. I do not know how much DH loves his mom/ siblings. I have never seen them talk openly, frankly or discuss anything in these ten years. Once in a while, MIL sits right next to DH and hush-hushes for a few minutes, and I never understand what they talk. Similarly, DH does not call his siblings even once in a while and vice-versa. Now, being abroad, DH talks to his mom once every week or so.
    My mom once scolded DH and stood by me when he raised his hand towards me for something (even that was related to finances.). From then, Dh has started being harsh to mom. I feel so sad for mom, but, am helpless. He kept on saying why cant she leave us alone, she is the one who creates problems in family and all that, and mom prepared to leave. But, the same man went to her and told that he had been angry and she should not leave. After a while, the taunts started again. Mom feels as if she has lost all her self-respected and is hanging on here. I don’t want her to leave, because, it is as if we have used her for all the good things she gave us. I also dread that mil may come over once mom leaves L.
    I still wonder sometimes as to why my life is like this… but, I know I have to come to terms with it. I just live in the hope that some day things would turn good for me…..

8. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hi Renu,
    Yes, he expects me to be transparent, while he can do what he wants. It was not specifically for the investment that he had a problem. It was for the fact that I decided and then let him know. But, he cannot let me know of anything...

9. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi Shari,

Please don't come to a conclusion that your DH is not a good human being. You will be staying with him for your rest of life. And now itself you get this bitterness then coming days will not be good. Don't keep this bitter in mind.
    Things will work in your way ...just do what you would like to do for the good of your family. Keep MIL's,mother side. Concentrate only on your family. If you drag this much then you won't find any solution ; better be what you are and lead your life how you want.

10. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

I have been there..so i know what it means to be faced with such a situation. Don't object for the money part. It is after all only money. Look at the bigger pcture..what use is all the money in the world if there is no peace between husband and wife? Yes, it is your right to know, ensure that your husband understands that and informs you. Of course, don't talk about this just yet. Because there is some tension, it won't register well in your DH's head and he will only misunderstand. Just let it slide, when everything is fine, slowly let him know, that what bothers you is not the money, but the fact that you are not being kept in the loop.

As far as your expenses are concerned, as long as you know you are not wasting money, don't bother about DH's restrictions. Just say, that you are matured and he has nothing to worry about. Do not show your irritation.

Things will slowly change - believe .. they will.