1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Self Eating Habbit

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by ILUser07, Apr 6, 2018.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

My kid is 2.5 yrs and it takes an hour for him to finish a meal. I have to keep reminding him to chew irrespective of he watches TV or not. Sometimes he just keeps food in mouth for 15-20 mins and asks me to take him to kitchen sink so he can spit.
    I am fed up of this whole process. My parents left recently and they had all the patience in the world to spend whole day just to feed him.
    I tried to sit and eat as a family. But my kid just wants to grab everything and I had to pickup everything before he made a mess.
    @Rakhii As you mentioned in one of your post, please post suggestions on how to promote self eating habbit

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

My DS's habit of self eating started at his pre nursery, his school provides meals n he started eating on his own when he saw the rest of the kids doing it. But he was still very very slow.

He's 9 now, n is very much independent, clean eater without wasting food. But my training for him started around your kids age.

Some of the things I did..
    At home, I started to show him videos of kids eating on their own.
    Appreciated when he did.
    Gave him a timer n rewards when he completes, like kisses n hugs or play time.
    Made him sit till he was done.
    Gave him a separate food mat, it was big enough to cover his whole eating area.
    Then made him clean his own mess.
    Used to show how we eat, our clean plates n how clean it is outside our plate as well.

Kept repeating like a broken record about how valuable a plate of food is, how many people in the world starves, how grateful he should be that he has food n that he should never waste / throw food - I used to say his food is crying because he dropped / wasting it. It really stopped him from wasting / disrespecting food. He started saying 'sorry food, I won't drop you again'.

Not much gets done when they are young or in a single day, but it definitely makes a difference in creating good independent eating habits as they grow.

Rakhii and deepthyanoop like this.
  3. SaiNiharika

SaiNiharika Bronze IL'ite

Wonderful reply, uses to all

4. IMDBEST

IMDBEST New IL'ite

My son 10 years old is still such picky eater, I have to feed him while he watches TV...feel I have failed as a perfect mom:pensive:

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

When he was around 1, I started cutting up bits and pieces of food and offered him to eat. I started with snacks first and then moved on to Mains. Initially there was a lot of resistance. Like he wouldn’t eat properly, I feel bad and feed him. Then it continues on to the next cycle. We had a break through when he and I both realised one thing. If he is hungry, he will eat. Keep the food and if you prefer (I encourage this) sit beside him and you can eat from your own plate. If he doesn’t eat, that’s fine. Clear the plate and don’t give him anything until next meal. He will cry and throw tantrums. Don’t give him anything else to eat. When the time for next meals comes up, give him food again. Sit beside him again and eat. He will be more inclined to eat on his own when he is really hungry. Have a structure to the meal times if you don’t already have one. Make sure there is a gap of at least 2 hours between meals.