1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking Help. Mil Problems

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Shilpanagpal, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Shilpanagpal

Shilpanagpal New IL'ite

Hi
    Its been 3 n half yrs of marraige.
    From begning there have been issues with my mother in law. There have been many fights between me n mil. I am short tempered and raise my voice againts any injustice hapens to me.
    I am blessed with a baby girl -8 months old
    There are many rules n regulations in my in laws plc only for dil. They have to get up early, bath early, do house hold chores properly, work as per there timings, eat as per there timings. My mil doesnt tlk to me well. Keep pointing out my mistakes n shows it to my husband. If i fall sick no one takes care of me rather i get blamed for not eating on time.
    I have one yr elder co sister who follows all rules n regulations and i am compared with her n degrated evrytime.
    My husband does not agree if i say mil doesnt treat me well. Also he keeps lieing to me on many things.
    Recently there was a fight at home and i denied to follow all their rules n regulations. Asked for seprate home but my husband denied. My husband asked me to leave if cant live as per my mil.
    I am tired living as per their wish and chose to come home.
    My parents are forcing me to compromise.
    I am also bothered of my kid beeing away from fathers love. My husband has also threatend me to take away my baby onces she is one yr and does nt need breast feeding.
    Please help and sugest.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

2. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

First things first! Do you work? Or are you dependant on your husband financially?

shri0218, Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  3. Shilpanagpal

Shilpanagpal New IL'ite

I use to work. Coz of pregnancy health issue (i had 10-12 vomtings a day) i could not continue. And now coz of my baby breast feeding and baby sitiing my husband convinced me not to work.

4. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Hi

I can understand ur situation , Being a new mom its hard to be a early bird and most of time will feel lazy and tired.Since ur husband is not supportive, try to satisfy ur mil , so that ur husband will be pleased and try to understand u, after all ur mil is saying u to eat on time and keep ur self organized. Make some free time after lunch make ur baby sleep in the afternoon and u too nap at time, so that u wont feel much tired.

Ur problem can be solved if u adjust and come to a routine.. They are many women facing much more or extreme problem with mil's. When compared to others problems , ur's can be solved easily. Its all in ur hands. In joint family u should learn to flexible, Else before marriage itself u should have talked to ur husband about moving out of joint family, Because mostly its hard to change husband after marriage to convince to move out of joint family. Mostly men's are not supportive in this matter.

sindmani and SudhaSree like this.
  5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

He can't take the kid away from mom.

dia3, Sunburst, Sandycandy and 2 others like this.
  6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Hi, I came across a similar situation with one of my friend. Exactly the same. It got so bad, she left home n refused to come back. as her luck would have it, her husband got a job offer in a different city and he took it just to fix this situation. Normally he would have never left his parents home.

It works in three ways,
    1) u start adjusting n do as they say.
    2) u stand ur ground n wait for dem to give in.
    3) d half- half situation, u do as much as u can n dey hav to compromise too. Like u will sleep in n wake up late then help in making lunch, dinner. It would b a rocky start, but somewhere ur mil will also get tired of complaining and ur hubby hearing it, n dey will start accepting it. U rnt gona get d best dil award. But all can compromise somewhere.
    N btw, d kids stays with d mother. Ppl jus uses it to blackmail the poor mothers to try to control them.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  7. vanithaudt

vanithaudt Silver IL'ite

Whenit comes to Indian families. You cant be honest and straightforward. You got to be clever and diplomatic. You first havw to act as if you are very sincere to your hubby and fine with mil. You wake up next day so early in yje morning and bath and dont cook in kitchen. Say your daughter is crying and want to be with her. Yhen you do the pooja and act very casually and serve food for your dh fil. Serving hand is more important than cooking. Then you acf as if you are working 24 hours and take resg whenever you want. Trust me straight forward and honesty dont work in Indian families at all. Find mil weak spots and fill the gaps. Lets say your mil forgets stuffa you ensure you cover her gaps and blow your horn gently.

8. Dreamer20

Dreamer20 New IL'ite

Indian families expect too much out of their DIL. They cannot understand that women of today have extra responsibilities and have brains too. We find it hard to follow some rules and regulations because they don't make sense to us. But who will explain this to the in laws? You have to be smart and tactful in dealing with them. No body likes people who are short tempered and straight forward, it does not work in Indian families. If your husband cannot see that your MIL does not treat you well, then the chances are he thinks you are over reacting and is tired of your complaints. In this case, you have to be very tactful in dealing with them. Anyways, your MIL will not live for ever, you have to adjust only for a few years.

Also, introspect yourself and see what could you have done differently to have avoided this situation. Try to think if there are any flaws in you and work on them. All the best to you dear!

NeetaR likes this.
  9. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

The irony that a grown man can't stand physical separation from his mother but is willing to separate a 1 year old baby from her mother!

Your husband cannot do any such thing. Be strong and confident.

Make your life decisions be it big or small as a responsible adult. Don't pay attention to their complaints. The only soul in your house that you are responsible for is your baby.

Be diplomatic and don't pick up fights. Don't complain to husband. By now, you know that he is not a fair person and don't expect that trait from him.
    Stop asking for separate home. You live your life as you deem fit. Let your mil do the complaining.

Once baby starts solid food or close to 1 yr, search for a good nanny and start working. Inform your husband that you need to work since you need financial security - he threatens you to move out of your own marital home.

pinkgal and Sandycandy like this.
  10. Shilpanagpal

Shilpanagpal New IL'ite

Thank you for your advice. I have been tring to see if my job can solve the problem. But there are many clause in it. They expect a lot of household work and managing job household work and kid looks near to imposible as per my stamina.
    A guy gets tired aftr working at office ful day. A girl cant get tired?

Sandycandy, sindmani and BeingSoulful like this.