1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seasons Greetings

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sushmavja, Jan 1, 2012.

1. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

I remember almost 13-14 years ago when around this time of the year we would be busy with the sending and receiving New Year Cards.There used to be tents almost in every street of our colony with colourful and beautiful cards for Christmas and New Year.Even my cousins used to set up these shops for some time pass and making few bucks in the season. We used to collect all the money from the previous pocket money to buy cards for the near ones..we used to prepare a list of the friends of our class, friends from previous schools, relatives, Dad's friends, his colleagues and this process would start almost from mid december. We used to search for the cards with best wordings, buy them and got to post offices to get stamps and post them in the nearest post box.then we would be delighted to receive cards from our friends too. I would write in the best of my hand writings with all slants,smileys and in different colours of gels and glittering pens..me and my bro always compared who got the max number of cards and who got the best that year..these would later be sticked to the clothes and book almaraihs for the whole year until the next year arrived with more and more cards. Dad used to get cards in office which he brought home to show us.

Today, where are these tents, where do we find cards? i have hardly seen a post office nearby my home back in India,post boxes are rarely seen which earlier used to be seen in almost every colony. Few years back it was a personalised e-card which later was replaced by bulk mails..later arrived the mobiles when atleast we used to call a person to convey wishes but soon these were replaced by bulk SMSes..now these too are gone..we find messages only on FaceBook and when you are tagged you have to think :" ok so this person has wished me so let me too wish her/him". Then we pass the same message to all the contacts be it best friends,friends,relatives,parents,brothers/sisters, colleagues or even aquaintance..nothing is personalised..no one feels special about it..

At this time of the new year, i miss sending cards to my near ones with so many warm feelings attached right from the time when we chose a card for keeping the person in mind and receiveing the same with a feeling that" yes we are remembered by them and we are in their thoughts"..

DEAR FRIENDS, WISH YOU ALL A PROSPEROUS AND FUN FILLED NEW YEAR..

Cheers,
    Sush

5 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sush,

Thanks for reminding me of those days and festivals with the accompanying greeting cards. These are now just memories from the past and to be perfectly honest, only after I read your snippet did I remember.

Those were lovely memories - buying cards, personalizing them and sending them off (choosing specially issued stamps for the occasion) .......

One does get fed up of bulk mail these days when one is just one of so many others. But we can still send individual e cards to friends and family. Let us look at it as a way of helping to save our environment by preserving trees which would otherwise have to be chopped down to make the paper for greeting cards.

Wish you a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year.

2 people like this.
  3. sushmavja

thanks satchi for your fb..yes thats true too..lots of paper is saved with these e-cards..but i still miss the personalised touch..

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gone are those days Sushma, I use to do them so many and always loved to give my personalised cards. Now a days I have become so lazy or I can tell this country has made me so lazy that I hardly put myself into those hobbies.
    Now all shortcut methods of wishing each other has come into fashion.

Wish you and your family Happy new year.

2 people like this.
  5. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice post dear Sushma....:)..Gave my dose of nostalgia........:coffee
    New year.....birthdays.......
    I was proud...with my head high on my 20th birthday......I received 40 cards....all arrived by post.....almost all new cards for Archies, American greetings n cards, Anne Geddes, Hallmark......
    Now...........:drowning
    Happy New Year dear!!!! nyear.jpg

1 person likes this.
  6. sushmavja

aruna ji,
    thanks for your fb and thanks for dropping by..
    yes even i have become very lazy these days and i just send all close frnds and relatives a e-card..

7. sushmavja

dear bhargavi,
    yes..so many bday cards..i remember my friend who went to the shop for my bday ending up buying so many as she loved all of them and gave them to me for my bday..when ever i used to go to a card shop with friends,if i liked some cards and wordings i would instantly buy them even though there used to be no ocassion at that time..there were later given to friends on bdays..How i love the Anne Geddes cards with so chweet cute babies..

8. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

very touching post sush..
    I still have those cards with me..some of them are 25 paise cards with faces of meena,chiranjeevi,nagarjuna printed on them:)

I don't feel like replying them if am one among those infinite lists..

9. sushmavja

thanks for dropping by SP..glad u liked it

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sushma, growing up in that age of post offices, we all certainly understand the joy of receiving a birthday card or a new year card! Thankfully here, for Christmas a lot of our neighbors and friends mail in their greetings and usually my fridge is adorned with those for the whole two months. We also still recieve b'day invitation cards and thank you cards by mail :) and personally for thank you cards, I still choose some moments from the party, mail the photos to kids who are in teh pictures!