1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Scribblings of a septuagenarian- Our nest is not empty

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Mar 9, 2011.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Our nest is not empty​

The chicks after growing up have built their own nests. They do show their love and concern and keep in touch. But flora and fauna are fulfilling the vacuum created by the chicks. They are keeping our morale high with their presence. “Each little flower that opens and each little bird that sings,” makes us beam from ear to ear. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

We tend to our plants as we had done with our babes. We talk to them and cajole them to give us more flowers to offer to our Deities. We tell them that they blossom only to adorn the Deities and that is the greatest honour for them.

Our avian friends like the crows and pigeons are entertaining us with their chivalry. They come to drink the water and the food we offer them both in the mornings and evenings. It is a fun to watch the crows picking out a piece of bread or some eatable and dipping it in the water and cleaning it before eating. Lunch time for the crows is between 11 and 11.30. The squirrels also share the lunch with crows. They also have a feast of ripe tomatoes from our plants.

In the evenings when we have the snacks watching TV in the drawing hall near the balcony the crows come to have a share of snacks. Even sometimes when we attend some marriage and I do not make any tiffin they both come and sit at the balcony cawing at the usual time. I do not want to disappoint them and give them the sweet and savoury that was given to us in a packet at the marriage.

During nesting time it is a pleasure to watch them picking up twigs and strings of ropes to build their nests. After laying the eggs one of the pair always keep a watch on the nest and after the eggs are hatched the cute little chicks opening their little beaks to be fed by their parents is another beautiful sight.

“Kakkaikkum than kunju pon kunju” and there is no doubt about it.

Crows are always keeping their unity and we have to learn a lot from them. Crows are very intelligent also. I keep wondering of their time sense as they arrive at the balcony for the snack.

When a crow in distress all groups of crows try to help. We witnessed it when a crow got caught his claws in a thread on a tree in front of our house on the republic day of 2009. The poor crows could not do any thing but were flying in circles around the tree cawing their hearts out. We got pity and we tried all sources and at last fire brigade obliged us. We really felt relieved and happy when the crow got the freedom.

These are small joys which keep us hale and hearty.

2. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

I can totally relate to this post in many different ways. My parents also treat crows like their children and since the crows at our house in chennai are used to roti... (really they don't touch rice!) on days when there is no roti at home, my mom or dad make some specially for them. This has been going on since we were kids and we used to always love to watch them nest and hatch eggs from our bedroom window.

Many years back there was a phase when I was riddled with acne and was feeling quite low and one day asked my dad if it had got any better due to some home remedies etc. He told me this “Kakkaikkum than kunju pon kunju". That is my most cherished moment with him and shall hold it very close to my heart.

Nice post!

3. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpa ma,

Beautiful post ma.

Both you and mama are a blessed couple who see bliss & happiness in small small things.

Please do keep me in your prayers ma.

:bowdown
    Saras

4. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pushpa ma'am,
    Amazing post :bowdown.
    I would love to write more, but no comment will do justice to your wonderful post, so I stop here!

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli ma'am,
    All birds do have the time sense..I think they have a biological clock inside them. here too..Red cardinals, will coo out, if they couldn't find the bird seed in the feeder and after we fill it up, as a sort of thank you, I hear a pale 'mm' low throat voice from the nearby tree.
    I remember that incident of releasing the bird..

Nice to see that you see joy in nature's every day happenings.

sriniketan

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear pushpa ma,

A lovely post.... enjoyed reading about your love for the birds and the flowering plants. My prayers that you both have a healthy and blissfully happy life like this always.

Akila

7. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpa ma...

I'm feeling so good after reading your post!!! You are really gifted to watch all these beautiful creatures given by God. You made good observation on their life and their day to day activities!!! I can feel how much relaxation it would give you. It is totally a different world. We are tied to them in some bond. We look forward them on the routine timings. And if they miss to come one day (they never miss actually...) we feel somewhat... and they also look forward us and they wait eagerly for the food we serve to them. Not only with friends and relatives, we tend to get close to them as well. They become one among ourselves!! It is a wonderful feeling ma. We speak to them, though they cant understand (some times they do understand and respond !!!). Sometimes we feel them as our kids!!

I wish I get such environment (I should create one!!) and spend time with them. It was an awesome post!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Keerti,
    Thank you for sharing your intimate moments you had experienced with your dad. Parents do love their children without minding their looks are shortcomings. They try their best to support them and to enhance their self confidence. There might be some rare exception.
    My DH and myself are both on the same wavelength in observing nature, though we do have difference of opinion in some other matters.
    Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts,
    Love,
    PS

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Saras,
    These small joys are bestowed upon humans by God's wonderful creation. We should have the awareness to enjoy them.
    You will be always in our players and God Bless you!
    Love,
    PS

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Navs,
    Your comments made me think if I really deserve that much appreciation. Thanks a lot,
    Love,
    PS