1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Screened!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Apr 11, 2015.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I was standing there before the deity awaiting the screen to open. The place being famous for the 'known secret', yet many of us could contemplate only the literal meaning, had a strong scent of being ancient and divine. The middle aged pujari opened a side screen and asked us to look. I peered, seeing through a wooden veneer kept at the side. "Do you see those golden leaves? Yes! Those vilva leaves! They are the ones you are meant to see!", he said in a tired voice. It was about 9 p.m. in the night. I didn't tell him that I read what actually constituted the meaning. I am yet to realize it fully, yes, but knew for sure that he was actually pointing me in the wrong direction. "I think its enough for you folks!", was what he might have actually thought. We moved along and I thought of the various screens which we construct for ourselves and others, and how that affects us.

Most part of life is spent in trying to prove what we aren't and it starts right from the family, I feel. To the spouse, to the kids, to the neighbors, to others and where not? We attribute various reasons for it, right from asserting control with respect to the family, showing how capable we are [not] and finally just to prove that we are one up. Perhaps the only moments where we glimpse our own screenless self is when we play with babies and kids, and those briefest of moments, when we are kids ourselves. I understand that most of these screens that we go behind, come from our own insecurity to lack of inclination to understand. As we grow up, we not only learn things, but also build our own perceptions around it. These effectively serve us like blinkers to a horse, only that we limit ourselves by doing so.

Without knowing things fully, we decide, at times not having an iota of what we are facing and at times, as though we know everything about it but we just know only a bit of it. Perhaps the most difficult to be seen, but the strongest of all screens is our own 'knowledge' and perception without experience, either ours or that of others we care about. Have you ever wondered what causes such a perception? How many times we have thought something totally different about others and stayed away from them whereas our first interaction with them changed that totally? And when it comes to dealing with our own dear ones, we are so biased and polarized that either we go to this extreme or the polar opposite, thus straying in both ways. Who knows how many such screens are we wearing and how and when they would be opened?

Perhaps the greatest joy in the spiritual learning comes from the knowledge of how simple and close the eternal truths are. We see parts of them through our smog and for that itself we rejoice. As we get in more and more, the heat of it just burns away all the screens and in the process, makes us resilient too. But then, its only for those who can bear it and have the courage and luck to stay till the end. Many go astray or move out after involving themselves heavily, because they are not able to see their long formed and hardened beliefs and egos crushed. Like a miser in despair, seeing what he collected as gold, turning out to be nothing, we feel lost and a terrible fear comes in, as though we are pushed from a cliff. We kind of position ourselves through these screens like a prey in a spider's web, thinking we are safe. The more screens we have, the more tied we are too. In the end, when the screens are unveiled one by one, we start the real learning and feel anguished for how long we had been in an ignorant state. But that is quickly replaced by joy and an urge to go further. Like the seven screens opening one after another in Vadalur and the shrine lights you up after that, if all our screens are lifted, how different it could just be? I don't know honestly but long to be there one day.

Till then, I am limited by my own screens. Isn't it?

5 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

A great introspective thoughtful snippet.
    In Samayapuram they used to say that the deity is'Aayiram kannudaiyaal'-having thousands of eyes to look and care each person. But each of us has lakhs of eyes fitted with thousands of lenses too.
    Human beings have a tendency to form an impression and justify it as the best impression too.
    My sister's two year old daughter daughter hated 'milk'. We thought that she didn't like the taste .It took sometime for us to understand that she hated the word'milk'.and liked the word'more'( buttermilk' We changed the name of milk into 'more' and she started liking it.
    When such a small child has strong notions even about words and sounds, what to talk of ego centric human beings?The same analogy applies to all life situations, religions, traditions, culture and habits.Hatreds towards different communities, the crisis between Saivites and vaishnavites,and contrasting opinions among siblings- great is the misconception about MILs and DILS.
    Strong ,prejudiced notions spoil the very harmony leading to clashes and permanent misunderstandings.
    It is not that educated well informed people do not commit such blunders.
    Many educated people become susceptible to misinformation and wrong perceptions. We think normally that if people are provided with the correct facts, they will be clearer thinkers and better citizens.More often this is not the case.

Recent studies in human psychology have totally disproved about our faith in the power of information. It’s this: Facts don’t necessarily have the power to change our minds. In fact, quite the opposite. When people are exposed to correct facts, they rarely changetheir minds. In fact, they often become even more strongly set in their beliefs. . Like an underpowered antibiotic, facts could actually make misinformation even stronger.

Take elections in our country.Voters are not blank slates. They do have already certain beliefs and certain notions imprinted.When correctly informed,instead of changing their minds to reflect the correct information, they can entrench themselves even deeper.

This is the case in politics, business,education,or arts.A person adept in Tanjore painting may pass a comment'after all it is only a Mysore painting.A dancer talented in Vazhoor bani may comment that kalakshetra dancers do only exercises on the stage and do not have an element of grace.The same problem is with languages.Persons knowing even a little bit of sanskrit always find fault with their own mother tongue Tamil. Nothing to say about parents boasting about Western culture and about the princely life in US.

The main reason is the general tendency to admit yourself as wrong and search for some defense mechanism to prove the wrong as correct. Most of us like to believe that our opinions have been formed over time by careful, rational consideration of facts and ideas, and that the decisions based on those opinions, therefore, have the ring of soundness and intelligence.

And rather than facts driving beliefs, our beliefs can dictate the facts we chose to accept. They can cause us to twist facts so they fit better with our preconceived notions. Worst of all, they can lead us to uncritically accept bad information just because it reinforces our beliefs. This reinforcement makes us more confident we’re right, and even less likely to listen to any new information.

This being the human tendency, I am afraid whether we will be able to shelve off the wrong screens.If the shelving of wrong screens result in opening of clear facts, it is welcome.But if the screens are substituted by still more hazy screens?
    I may look pessimistic. But it is a hard core reality.

Even now in this advanced communication stage we see honest hard working people being given an unceremonial send-off,the innocent being penalised in criminal cases,meritorious students being refused admission under'caste'screens,rumours spoiling the life of many individuals.
    Worst is the scenario of depressed people who live within a circle created by themselves,

Do I lament too much ? Perhaps the situation is not so bad? within limits of corrections?
    Jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  3. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @rgsrinivasan ,

A beautiful and wise introspection on the screens we surround ourselves with!

Yeah, these screens can be burnt by the heat of absolute unity with the Supreme. But these screens also prevent ourselves from seeing ourselves. I think we can walk back through the screens and see ourselves in our original glowing Self.
    In ageing don't we try to walk back in to ourselves! I think, Vanaprastham and Sanyasam at the proper age or stage in life (not necessarily physically, but mentally) take us to the inward travel through the screens!

A deep, deep snippet! Would like to read again, without my screens, in light!:)

2 people like this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

One word that comes to my mind is 'MAYA' . Good article to think and ponder for the weekend

3 people like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,
    Yes, we all have screens or masks...why screens? Sometimes they are concrete walls! Very difficult to break them and come out. The reasons are many. We may want to lead a smooth life, want to impress people or get on with work at workplace, want people to think good of us and on and on. Sometimes it is suffocating and a sort of loneliness creeps in. Then we break the walls and courage comes to present ourselves as we are really, no screens.
    In spiritual life......
    We may not reach the ultimate but even a little of it is enough to be peaceful in day to day life. Yes, life is really simple but we make it complicated by our thinking and thinking too much.At every stage we become doubting Thomas. That makes things pretty tough or complicated. Many times we have to take instant decisions and plunge....the result may be good or bad, we do not know.

Syamala

2 people like this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear rgs,
    A thought provoking post.
    when we wear these screen we become hypocrites! Preaching something and practicing something without showing it to the world!
    Aha! The human nature is like that and blessed are those who can smash the screen and be their true self! Easily said than done!

PS

2 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

When we begin the journey on a super highway from ignorance to knowledge, we invariably see a lot of neon signs guiding us towards gas stations, rest houses, restaurants, etc. which I compare with worldly pleasures. When we need gas or rest (Shusupti) (deep sleep)or food is when we need to take a break or when we have a flat tire to fix (fixing something to begin our journey again) and otherwise, we need to continue our journey on the direction that our conscience guides us towards.

I compare these distractions towards smoke screens that prohibits us from focusing on the dharshan we need to have at the destination. The blanket of Maya (distractions) are so strong and it is difficult to break open unless we have a lot of determination to do. Mind is an adroit substance and it shows and expresses itself as so strong. It is nothing but cauldron of thoughts. But it has the power to discriminate right and wrong and that faculty is perfectly capable of taking us towards our goal. Unfortunately, the one that is responsible for Bhavaroga (an incurable disease towards the form) is also the medicine to see the formless. Sankalpa helps us to remove the screens. We need to be determined to find the truth like a person who is gasping for breath when he is drowning. It is difficult but not impossible.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. rgsrinivasan

Very interesting feedback, Jayasala madam, covering various aspects, right from raising a question of how early do we start applying these screens in our life to the ill effects of these screens and the 'myth' that having more information clears us to decide. I am particularly impressed by the myth busting part actually and wonder whether the information that we receive is not full always, but through our own screens we find that its enough and decide based on that.

And about how decisions are made - makes a whole big read - I covered a few, but you listed a lot more. Thanks for such a long and informative feedback.

Besides, you just stated what you felt and its not lamenting. May be, things will change once we start coming out of our screens first. -rgs

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your appreciation Suryakala madam. And you are right about going back to ourselves when getting older. We can do all these while in family too and very few actually succeed. Provided, we even shun our own screen of biased love towards our dear ones. Happy to write something that would be read again. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  10. rgsrinivasan

Thats one word of putting the entire context Jskls. We do construct our own web and falling prey to it more often. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

1 person likes this.