Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 5

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear CL,
    Though I plan to write a few more explanations, there still prevail some customs, the reason behind which, we cannot fathom!!
    We just have to 'assume' some self-derived logical explanations!
    Love,
    C

2. Chitvish

Dear NK,
    I wrote these once in one of my replies. Well, no harm in my repeating.
    BUT THESE ARE MY OWN EXPLANATIONS & I AM LIKELY TO BE WRONG!!

The cooked items are highly perishable even before night. But we preserve curds, pickes etc over a period of time. I think,, the perishable bacteria should not get transerred to the other dishes, even by mistake.

Vizhuppu is based more on hygiene, I think. Everyday we do not change & wash our bedsheets, pillow covers etc.Also we go out during the day & many do not have BATH STRICTLY BEFORE GOING TO BED. SO, IT IS LIKELY THAT WE may be carrying some infection .They get cleared after a bath & that is madi, perhaps!!
    No hassel about my patience, but I will admit my ignorance more often than you imagine!
    Love,
    C

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra mami,

What a nice explanation of pattu and madi. My mil still practices this pattu and madi. and does this at her house even now and we too have to follow it at her home, when we go there:rant. :spinHowever my mom doesnt follow pattu (touching water before serving curds, pickle etc). Mami, if it is your own explanation means, that shows your years of wisdom on various topics. We can only :bowdown to you.

Radhi

4. Chitvish

Dear Radhi,
    Thanks!:)
    My MIL strictly followed these; previously amma also to a certain extent! Amma used to say,whether we follow it or not, we must know the 'do's & 'don'ts' before we get married!
    To me, this seemed to be the only possible explanation.
    Both amma& MIL never would allow us to taste (to see - uppu poruma etc) & I strictly follow it.. When I see the TV shows today where they taste at every stage, I only think of them!
    :biggrin2:
    Love,
    C

5. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Aunty, here is a doubt from my DD for which I had to :bonk for an answer. While doing namaskarams whether at home or at temples, why is it that gents alone should prostrate with full length of their body while ladies do it differently! (adakkama !) ?

6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

thanks Cv for this nice thread, We really learn a lot from your posts. thanks for your patience and care to explain everything.

i think the lady does not prostrate fully, because it is not advisable for the top part of her body to touch the ground,,, (why??)

even sometimes they say ''ponnu kuppura paduthu thoonga kudathu.." may be for the same reason,

chitvish ma, please clarify our doubts.

7. Chitvish

Dear Mallika (mysalute first as usual!)
    & ப்ரியமுள்ள ப்ரீதி,
    I am giving a combined answer since the topic is the same!!:)

Please read

Why do we do Namaskaram to God and elders ?
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/c...ure-vedanta/2988-why-do-we-do-namaskaram.html
    That will tell you why we do namaskaram at all..

Sashtanga namaskaram is what we should do - 8 angams (parts of the body) - chest, forehead, eyes,knees, both hands, vak (speech or tongue) & manas (call it heart!).
    Of these eyes, vak & manas cannot physically touch the ground. so, chant prayers with vak, look up to the deity with eyes & do dhyanam of the deity with manas.
    Women cannot do thus, lying flat on the floor with outstretched hands because the breasts will come under pressure.Besides in the long run, the uterus is likely to descend
    and cause problems as well!
    Mallika, I think te word 'adakkam' nomore is relevant today!!
    Preethi, your statement is new to me because my daughter from birth till today cannot sleep on her back, but always only on tummy!Even the whole night!!

Preeti,you are coming to my thread for the first time - thanks!

Love,
    C

8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh, dear I am sorry.. I am one of the ''hurry-burry'' types who visit your threads but rarely give Feedbacks and post:hide:

This may be the hundredth time i am reading something written by you. :bonk

9. Manjunathyk

Manjunathyk Junior IL'ite

Dear Madam,

I have joined recently this forum know more about spitituality , pooja , slokas etc. Few of your valuable articles I have read and it's nice experience to know so many things which we forgot to ask and know from our parents and grand parents .

Thank you for the same.

Regards,

10. Chitvish

Hello Sir,
    I am privileged to be a contributor in IL - a site specially known for the religious forum. which is fast becoming popular on google search.
    Thanks for yor nice words.
    regards,
    C

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010