Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 3

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Nov 11, 2010.

1. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

One more benefit about well water - we get good exercice while crawing water from the well. This was shown in the movie 'Apne' starring Dharmendra and family. Nice article, aunty.

Raji

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Yes, Raji. Spondulosis was not heard of in those days!
    We have lost so much of health benefits over years with mechanisation, call it hazards of modern living!!
    Love,
    C

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very nice article Chitra ma'am
    I remember taking a bath in a river in Kurnool when I was 6 years old. i enjoyed it immensely and the memory still remains fresh.
    Unfortunately now I have access to neither well nor a stream.

4. Chitvish

Dear Kamala,
    Neither do I have access to river or well!
    I had my only river baths in Ganges & Gaya many years back!:)
    Love,
    C

5. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Dear Mami,
    That was a very informative post.....My husband loves the vilage atmosphere, his grandma 's place is Nagari, though it is a developed town, his grandma's house is still in the village, he loves going there....and when i went it was a great experience..for me as well..

Well, i have another doubt to ask you, iam not sure if it is relevant to this thread, today is Vaikunta Ekadesi, they say, we are not suposed to eat rice on this day, and i know that they say it is equivalent to worms when you consume rice on this day....but we are allowed to take pongal, idly, dosa, all these are also made of rice, i dont understand this?, can you please clarify this for me...iam breaking my head with this :)

6. Chitvish

Dear Manasa,
    Thanks for coming here.:)
    Why village?? From a metro city like Chennai, even when I go to Madurai, I find the pace of life is comparatively relaxing!!
    I know rice is not allowed, but have not heard of what you write!:biglaugh
    My grandmother used to say that the form of saadam / cooked rice has to be avoided, but not rice in any other "avatar"!!
    So, even if pongal was made, rice was not used rawbut roasted, washed & used!! I think it is more a belief followed over generations!:biggrin2:
    Love,
    C

7. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

When i asked my husband to avoid rice on taht day, he started asking me all sort of questions and which finally made me ask you taht question,:bonk, he started arguing with me, that when you are supposed to take rice, how come pongal , and other things, :bonk.