Schools in Trivandrum!

Discussion in 'Trivandrum' started by ANK, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

Hello ANK,

Trust you have moved and that your transition has been smooth. How is Christ Nagar International School? I have heard that the school is very strict. Is that so?
    Also, would appreciate if you could share more information regarding the syllabus (does the school offer IB or IGCSE or both?), campus location, general school culture, facilities, extra-curricular activities, care given by teachers etc. Any information would be a great help!

Thank you,
    Lively

2. srnair

srnair New IL'ite

Hi ANK, Manaswi -

I'm so glad to have found this thread and joined IL finally as we're moving to Tvm in June. We had visited Tvm Intl School (Trins) last summer and I've been in touch with them. I share your concerns that they do not give out any details on the syllabus other than what's on their website. I had to get some details from a friend whose daughter studies there. Christ Nagar Intl. never responded to my emails but got some generic info when i called. Since I'm going to be working at Technopark and our home is near there, we decided to enroll our kids (son going to 8th grade and daughter going to 3rd). I'm yet to send the application forms and have them take the test online.
    Could you nice ladies please share your experiences? Where did you end up sending your kids and how do you guys like them? I'm hoping I can meet some of you when I'm in Tvm, it'd be great to share the experiences. We are in Santa Clara, CA and my kids go to Cupertino School District schools. I'm worried too about the transition and esp. languages but hopeful things will turn out okay.
    thanks much,
    smita

i meant we decided to enroll them at TRINS :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  3. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

Hello Smita
    We are also contemplating moving to TVM in a couple of years. I had posted a similar query in this thread earlier, but I haven't seen any responses. Like you, I'm also apprehensive about language and the syllabus for our child who will be entering 9th then. Last year, we had called TRINS. The lady I spoke to asked us to meet her at the school. But we couldn't make it due to our short stay. From what little information I have gleaned about both schools, TRINS appears to be more accommodating and inclusive. The campus seems big and the school offers many extra curricular activities. Distance and commute could be a big deterrent though. Christ Nagar is smack in the middle of Kowdiar, I'm not sure about the building/facilities. Any information that you can share about Christ Nagar International and TRINS would be most helpful.

All the best with your move.
    Regards

4. srnair

srnair New IL'ite

Hi Lively,

I got the online (via email) tests done for my kids for TRINS admission. They had a phone interview also and I heard what they were asking as my kids put it on speaker phone. I liked those teachers/principal who interviewed my kids and spoke to the principal also (for junior and middle school). Their admission is set and we'll be there on June 17th to complete remaining process and my kids will start school on June 20th. I'll post our experiences more on this thread later. For now, very busy with packing and the move.

best regards,
    smita

5. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

Hello Smita
    I just saw your reply (never received any notification...)

Thank you for the information. I'm glad that your kids' admission is complete.
    For your 8th grader, which stream is he taking? CBSE? Or is IGCSE available for 8th grade also? How about languages? Does he have to take Hindi?
    I know you will be extremely busy now with your move. Let me know the details when you have time. We will be in TVM later this month.

Best regards

6. srnair

srnair New IL'ite

Hi Lively,

Sorry I didn't see your message. Same issue that I didn't get any notification email, need to check the settings. :)
    My kids started school on June 20th. They are already having the tests/assessments for June. Until 8th grade they have a combination of ICSE and IGCSE at TRINS. There is no CBSE. We find the standard to be lower than what our kids had in California. My son is feeling quite bored so far. Only Chemistry and Hindi are the challenges for him. before getting the admission, TRINS folks always kept telling that they teach the language from basics no matter what grade. The Hindi teacher for him isn't so nice and helpful and keeps teaching to the whole class. They tried to convince us to have him take French but we want him to learn Hindi. So we started Hindi tutoring for him near our home and that teacher is helping him make very good progress. We feel TRINS could have done that too. My daughter's in 3rd grade and her Hindi teacher seems better.
    Overall, the school is quite disorganized and it's frustrating at times. Some teachers are nice. We have a parent induction program tomorrow, so we'll know more. Swimming and PE only one day a week each which is way too little. Kids like the food so far although I'm not happy they give Fanta to kids for morning snack on some days. Some unnecessary rules and quite kiddish things even for middle schoolers. You can call me if you need to talk more - 0471-3042049 (office).
    Good luck and best wishes with your move!
    cheers

7. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

Hello Smita
    I just saw your reply. I was away in TVM for the past month. We did visit TRINS and met with the admissions coordinator. She was open and welcoming, answered our questions patiently and even gave us a mini tour of the school minus the classrooms. We were impressed then; however reading through your experience makes me a little disappointed. I had the same question then about academic rigor at TRINS - whether it will be adequate and prepare the kids to face the ordeal of medical/engineering/professional exam admission/entrance tests after 12th grade.

How did the parent induction program go? How is your son doing now? Do post your experiences - I look forward to them and they are invaluable to me. I'll call you sometime...trying to coordinate the time difference.

Best regards and best wishes

8. srnair

srnair New IL'ite

Sure no problem. Things are better now but still struggling with certain things esp. Hindi for my son. You can call me on my mobile - 854 772 1750 for more info. I find most of the teachers very nice and they listen. There are things that you won't find here but also things that you won't find in US. Good English speaking skills is very helpful, people are really impressed :) 1st term exams are coming up soon and i'll know more about their progress and adjustments after that.

take care,
    smita

9. smiles4dia

smiles4dia Junior IL'ite

Hi all,
    I went through all your posts.Iam currently staying in dubai.by next academic yr will b moving to tvm as my daughter will be ready for school. I am confused as to which school to send her to. I don't want her starting off at TRINS because of the location of the school. Can someone let me know how good Arya central school is since we have a house near the school. or any other good schools in pattom or kowdiar? I am looking for a school which improves English speaking skills and also gives importance to extra curricular activities.Which curriculum is better?IB,CBSE,ICSE or IGCSE? Really confused as I have heard mixed opinions of the schools and syllabus :(
    Regards,
    Simi

10. davids

davids New IL'ite

Dear All,

I am so pleased to see the discussion on good schools in Trivandrum as we are also doing online research for the same. We are rellocating back to TVM with our 5 and 7 year old boys. The schools we have in mind are TRINS, Christ Nagar International and also Chempaka. Could any of you give me your experience with either of these schools. Any help would be much appreciated..

Many Thanks
    Smita