Schools in chennai

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by jothi, Dec 2, 2006.

1. bagy

bagy New IL'ite

Hi Shanthy
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I did check the wikimapia. However, i grew up in vadapalani and have now been out of the country for about 15 years. hence, chennai is a totally new place for me and i am unable to judge the distance between selaiyur and velachery (the britto academy) using a map. Would you know approximately how long it would take for the kid to go from selaiyur?

i checked out the school's website and it has been quite sometime since that has been updated.

Also, about the other schools--- I am sitting here in the US and have no idea where these schools are located.... :icon_frown: i know a little bit about sankara vidyalaya, vivekananda vidyalaya but thought they were matriculation.

Any little info will be appreciated....thank you

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi bagy,

I know the school's website is outdated. have requested the mgmt to upgrade.
    I think a rough approximation would be around 10-15kms to britto/arsha.

sankara vidyalaya i think is cbse. Smt.Ramkumar Devi Fomra Vivekananda vidyalaya, Kumarankundram,chromepet should be nearer to selaiyur.

There are two kendriya vidyalaya in selaiyur. again 2nd language will be a problem. but sanskrit will be easier than hindi/tamil at this point i suppose. my own opinion.

The satya sai school is a cbse one. (I came to know of this school very recently. and it is only for boys.)

Then there is vel's vidyashram, pallavaram -but i am not so happy about this schools.

3. bagy

bagy New IL'ite

Hi Shanthi
    thank you very much for all the information. Is OMR/Tidel park far off too?

Which KV do you think is better? I know that there are 2 KVs. I dont mind if it is matriculation or cbse. what i do care about is that the school have a reasonable teachet-student ratio like 1-35 (am i asking for too much). My kids are fairly adjusting but 1:50 seems too much like the time i studied:) . Also, i hear that most schools have very poor bathroom facilities. That may be a problem for my kids who have been born and brought up in the USA.

4. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Bagy,

There is an American International School near Tidel Park in Taramani. This is their website - American International School-Chennai. They follow the American system of education.

Hope this helps.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi nivedi,bagy,

This schools the fees are exorbitant and an nri/usc child the fees is expected in dollars. The transition is easy though.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I am not sure of the kvs in selaiyur. but both are for the AF employee children. if u get admission it is from the open quota and is difficult.
    At the outset u have to understand, the reasonable teacher-student ration is found in a very few school, may be american school, harividhyasrham. Otherwise, the good schools like Chettinad, SBOA, PSBB all have 1:60,1:70 also believe me and sections upto k and l also in certain cases. Regarding bathroom facilities, I can understand, but u can't expect the same in kv's and all. but some private schools are better.
    Hi bagy, south madras has developed well, If you have not been to chennai in the last year you may not be aware. There is the tambaram-velachery road which gives you access into tidel park and OMR is also accessible. Today people travel from Mylapore-Chengelpet:mad: to work
    This is the rail map for chennai
    http://www.irfca.org/faq/map/chennai_mrts_suburban_map.pdf
    [IRFCA] Indian Railways FAQ: Chennai Suburban Schematic Map

The list of schools in tambaram area
    Welcome To TambaramOnline

Tambaram Route Map- will definitely give you the idea of the roads.:2thumbsup:

hope this helps.

7. bagy

bagy New IL'ite

Thank you shanthi, nivedi for all the information. I have already done my share of looking at the maps of chennai and i realize that south chennai is the hot place to be right now. I was just a tad bit worried that if i enroll my kids in st.brittos or even dav in velachery, they would have to travel at least 13-15 kms. normally, how long does it take to travel such a distance by school bus or auto or car?

Actually, this is kind of a repeat of my school days, bcos my dad built his house at valasaravakkam in 1970 and i had to go to school in T.nagar (the nearest place with good schools back then). It would take me about 45 min- 1 hr by PTC and i did that for about 12 years. I used to hate it. Even the bathroom facilities, my school used to have 6 bathrooms for 2000 students!! It used to be hell.

I am saddened to see that the situation has not improved even after 20 or so years.That is the situation that i am trying to avoid for my kids. other than that, my kids could get used to the huge teacher student ratio and other cultural differences.

8. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Good Schools in Chennai - A website with good information

Hi all,
    I just found this link about the good schools in Chennai... Found it informative for those who are in search for schools. So I thought of sharing it on IL...

This is in the form of a blog... Though there is a big list of good Schools of Chennai, the blogger has tried to group them into Tiers instead of ranking the schools.

Good Schools in Chennai

9. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Re: Good Schools in Chennai - A website with good information

Hi Manjumnair,
    Very God Blog. I wish they should add someother school details soon.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards
    Birraj

10. roselotus

roselotus New IL'ite

Re: Good Schools in Chennai - A website with good information

Hi,
    I just registered in this website. Iam searching for some good schools in chennai and i found this article sent by you is very informative.