Schools in chennai accepting ADHD children

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by ksireesha, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ksireesha

ksireesha New IL'ite

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this thread and I want to know which schools accept ADHD children. My daughter is 4 years old and she is going to metriculation school. I am searching for a school taking care of ADHD children and the communication should be in english. I am not interested in sending her to special school. I am staying at tambaram sanitorium. Could anybody please let me know any schools in and near by schools in tambaram or chrompet or camproad. We are also planning to shift to near by tiruvanmayur. Any schools near tiruvanmayur is also fine.

Regards,
    Sireesha

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sirieesha,

sorry for the late reply.

in chromepet there is a playschool called budding minds, google for the same name, to get to their website, heard that they are going to have upto 5th soon. they are very understanding, why don't you check them out.

Another choice is headstart, who also take children with special needs to an extent.

but the best thing for your child is to accept and allow her to go to a special school in the initial years so that she is trained and sent back into the normal one.

I had suggested sankalp learning centre (they have a open school system), to one ilite's daughter. now she is doing very well.

3. geena

geena New IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

Do you know any special educator who has experience dealing with children who learn a little slow than the other children?
    I want this information for my friend.Her daughter currently goes to a montesori school where they're accepting these children.She wants the educator to work with her child seperately at her home too.

TIA

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Geena,

I don't know any special educator taking a one-on-one case to teach from home.

but you could check out with the spastics society, maybe they have a list of people who have enlisted. or your friend could go and do a course on how to take care of her child.:idea.

There is chaitanya, in aminjikarai which also guides the parents. a very new base, i don't know any body who has been there.

5. geena

geena New IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

Thanks for your prompt response.This imformation is sure helpful.

6. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

Try Children garden school, mylapore,radhakrishnan salai.This is one of the oldest schools in chennai.they take children with ADHD problem.They have a seperate school for spl children also.they will check the requirement of ur child,and decide accordingly about the admission.I went there for my daughter.But i didnt admit her there because she was not ADHD.u go and see that place once and u willget idea.only problem is this sch is far from ur place.but the school is nice.they make ur child come to main stream sch.that is what we want.
    they hav both regular sch and spl sch.they will tell u which sch isbest for ur child and decide admission.Ihave seen ADHD children in regular class also.only thingis they make an attender sit near that child to help them through out the day.
    umust visit the place once to understand the way they work.
    If u want tohave another accessment for ur daughter u can goto vijaya hospital childrens wing.they have facilities for diagnosing such things.
    all things i said above are out of my exp with mydaughter.so u can give a try.:thumbsup.u can try homeo for ur daughter's ADHD .i did that also for my daughter.they certainly slowdown.i went to kopikar homeo t ngr for that.

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sireesha,

Has your daughter been diagnosed formally-by an educaional psychologist/child psychiatrist? If her diagnosis is only ADHD, you probably need a regular school which is willing to make certain accommodations. If you do look at special schools, check out their curriculum and see if they progress in an age appropriate manner.

I ask about the diagnosis because, with ADHD your daughter's cognitive functioning should be on par with her peers. Your work (and the teachers') will be in
    • teaching her to regulate her body (as this will afect how she acquires her preacademic and academic skills),
    • giving her the foundation in study skills (starting a task, focusing on it and completing it within a given tme frame), and
    • accepting behavioral limits (as some children have a hard time with this as they grow older).
    The reason I caution about special schools is that, in India we generally relegate 'special' to any and every condition including intellectual impairment, mental illness and specific learning disabilities. On the one hand, this may seem too much nitpicking but on the other it does not utilize the child's full potential.

Try visiting the neighbourhood schools near Thiruvanmayur (as you say you'll move there)-See which ones have smaller classrooms, talk to the principal/head and advocate for you child. Ask for accomodations-front row, minute long breaks during structured activities so she is not sitting for longer than 5 minutes at a stretch-slowly increase it, intersperse academic activities with short movement breaks, etc.

Look for a good Developmental Occupational Therapist-a child with ADHD may have problems regulating his/her body. There may be sensory-motor integration problems. A good OT will assess your child and give you something called a sensory diet-activities to target specific skills in your child. These are usually fun and games. Teachers can incorporate this in their routine-they don't have to do anything out of the way.

I think someone else mentioned Spastics Society-Vidyasagar? The head of the inclusion program there would be a good resource on schools and other services.

Good luck and do share what responses you get from the schools:)
    R

8. ksireesha

ksireesha New IL'ite

Hi Everybody,

Apolozies for the late reply. Thanks for everybody for your suggestions. Your suggestions will surely help me.

We are using homeopathy medicines for my daughter. Now she is some what sitting in one place and showing some concentration. We are still in dilemma about the school.

Regards,
    Sireesha.

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sireesha,

I talked to a former co-worker of mine who heads the inclusion drive at Vidyasagar (in Kotturpuram). She asked that you make an out patient appointment at Vidyasagar and take your daughter. When they meet her they can assess her needs. That way they can match the child's needs and the school's expectations. As they work specifically on inclusion, they'll have a list of schools to suit your needs.

Here's the number:22354784 or 85

Rama

10. janejana

janejana New IL'ite

for your ADHD children, it is best that a doctor and therapist work together for the child. however, the dose and kind of medicines should be double checked. some doctor may give high dose for speedy improvement or 'banned' drugs for convenience. I stay in Bangalore, and I have no clue about chennai options but what i have heard that there are some adhd schools that offer good interventions. If you research, you may find out.