1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

School Admission: What A Battle

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamrakshar, Dec 15, 2018.

1. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Great snippet , depicts anxiety of parents going through admission cycles.

I had given an interview for my elder one and was rejected for being a working mom... at that moment i thought that the school was it worth it, we got into an international school and were happy with our choice

There was a no interview and lottery based school which was very good in our area and I used to make sure to get that info to many first time parents . We missed it as we were abroad for couple of months. Need more such schools ...

Parents should boycott such schools that creates so much anxiety inparents and in turn children

Tamrakshar likes this.
  2. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Viswamitra ji for the detailed translation. That was indeed funny!

3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Hmm, What a nightmare experience for the parents.

I heard similar events from our friends in west coast, competing private schools and the cost involved.

There are few prep schools on east cost and cannot be easily afforded by mid range income parents. The kids do come out as exemplary students, prepared for the best universities.

We are lucky, we don't have that many private schools. Most kids go to public schools and a few neighborhood kids go to private Christian schools.

Tamrakshar likes this.
  4. Tamrakshar

Thanks armummy for the appreciation! Yes, some of the schools I know don't prefer working moms. There are some schools for whom the income factor plays the deciding role. There are certain ones which focus only on the quality of the child.

5. Tamrakshar

Thanks poovai for the nice informative feedback!

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Wow that is real battle and congratulations on your win. Very nicely narrated. Felt like watching a movie. Hardships parents go through for the admission process is just a beginning.

3year old knows all this ? I guess we should start homeschooling our kids..

Education has become a big business everywhere. Most of US parents are saved up until high school if they choose public schools in a good school district.

Rihana and Tamrakshar like this.
  7. Tamrakshar

Special thanks to you jskls for being the first to like the snippet, and now for this great feedback! Yes, I have been teaching my elder daughter, too. She is not bad, but this younger daughter is something that I have never seen. I have to goad my elder daughter to study, but Rai herself asks me to teach her, and she is never tired. When I call it a day, she pleads, "One more page please Daddy".

kkrish and jskls like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

awesome. you have an inquisitive curious learner here. Do keep engaging and keep reading with her. She’s aspiring to gain knowledge. It will be a challenge until she learns to read by herself and soon all you have to do is give directions (for which you need to start preparing) Don’t get lost in the competitive rat race. All the best

Tamrakshar likes this.
  9. Tamrakshar

Absolutely! I agree with you!

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

How I wish home schooling were a possibility here like it is in the US. It would make life a lot easier for many parents. What I find ironical is that schools charge so much for admissions and insist on parents being very well qualified, a certain school here turns down kids of working mothers as they need to be available at home to take care of the child's homework etc. Why the hell should parents pay so much money to schools if most of the studying is done at home? Might as well homeschool.

Tamrakshar likes this.