Schengen Visa

Discussion in 'Indians in Doha' started by happy_feet, Sep 24, 2014.

1. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Hi all,

We applied for our schengen visa and got it within 2 days. We had applied for short stay i.e. less than 90 days as our hotel booking is only for 7 nights. But my understanding was that we will be given a visa for full 90 days starting from the somewhere nearby date of our journey and ending within 90 days, so that if we wanted we could have made another trip to an European country within that 3 months period. But we were given only 1 month visa starting just 2 days before our journey date. I have few questions regarding this and please if anybody can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Can we someway extend this visa after its 1 month validity is gone in Qatar (the reason can be we could not go at all to EU because of some reason or after going and coming back once, we want to travel again within 3 months time because we have paid the visa fees for 90 days stay)??

If we are showing hotel reservation only for a week, could we still apply for long stay visa i.e. for more than 90 days, by paying the long stay visa fees (reason being we would like to travel again in future without going through the process of applying the visas again??

If we have applied for say Italy (I know schengen visa is for the whole EU, but mentioned that port of entry will be Italy), then after getting the visa can we cancel Italy completely and go to France and Germany and comeback.

If anybody has any idea about the above questions then please help me.

Thanks.

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

:welcome Sister Happyfeet to IL family,

You are talking about EU, also mention Qatar, your place shows TamilNadu, not clear you are travelling from where, Are you working in Qatar and visiting EU, else in Chennai with a Visa to EU, then how does Qatar come into picture.

Thanks, SAIRAM

3. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Hi Sai,

Thanks for bringing this to my notice. Actually I came to Doha couple of months back, so forgot completely to change my settings (now I have edited it). Anyway right now I am staying in Doha (with Qatar RP) and want to travel to EU for vacation. I hope this clarifies the confusion.

Bye.

4. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

In edit page, I could not find to edit the state from Tamil Nadu to Doha. All I could change was city and country. Can somebody help me??

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Kindly check the number of entries in your visa. If it is single entry, which means just one entry, then you can't come back and visit to Europe again with the same visa. If the visa allows for multiple entries, then of course yes.. You can do that for several times within the said 3 month visa period.

I've been to Europe last year. The 3 month Schengen visa had just one entry only. So, I had to apply for another visa for my next trip. Had I known about my next trip then, I would have informed the authorities accordingly as I make most of my Europe trips officially, so getting visas have never been a problem to me

1 person likes this.
  6. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes they issue visa only for a limited period, eventhough you applied for a long term visa and paid extra fees. It's upto the visa authorities.

I dont think you can extend the visa after 1 month, I think you need to re apply if you want to travel after that 1 month validity.

7. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Thanks SGVB and kcb for your responses.

@SGVB - well the problem is they never granted me visa for 3 months, they just gave it for 1 month and I have not checked for multiple entries as I thought within 1 month we will never go back, but I will check it.

@kcb - yeah I know it is upto them to decide:). Actually I overheard one lady saying she got it for 6 months and anothere man was saying he got for 3years, of course their conditions would be totally different from mine and I had applied only for 90 days, but I was hoping to get a 90 days visa instead of 30 days.

8. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi happy_feet,

Through which embassy did you get the Schengen visa? Italian embassy?

In last September, we got Schengen visa for a trip to Swiss. We applied through the French embassy and had plans of going to Paris first and then to Swiss. But, due to limited time we finally opted to visit Swiss alone and went to Zurich directly. We didn't face any issue though we mentioned that we will be landing in Paris when we applied for the visa and had shown bookings accordingly. Though I was little scared of this fact, they didn't ask us anything. If you are travelling as a family, they don't question you much.

In French embassy, there was a type C visa and we were advised to apply for that and were given 90 days visa with multiple entry.

9. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Hi madhu,

This is really a great help. Although I knew there shouldn't be a problem, but we didn't want to experiment and get denied for the entry. We applied through World Bridge for Austria.

Thanks.

10. Shylajasanthosh

Shylajasanthosh Silver IL'ite

There is no problem with applying somewhere and going somewhere else...so u cld still start with any of the schengen countries. And its not about the way you apply. I've seen lot of people apply for a longer stay and haven't got it. So it is their discretion. And even if u have visa for say 1 year, you can travel there again only if u were given multiple entry. Otherwise the moment you finish ur first entry u can't travel there again. Last year we went down to Europe for 15- 20 days but we were given multiple entry visa for 6 months without asking for any specification. So it totally depends