Sashtiapthapoorthi & Sadabishekam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by DIvKar, Jan 5, 2007.

1. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My father-in-law is turning 61 this december. we have plans to celebrate his sashtiaptha poorthi . i saw many ILites have celebrated the fn recently at home.so can pls throw some info regarding the thirukadaiyur procedures, any particular priest who is not money minded and does the homams perfectly etc...,.
    thanks in advance,
    Priya

2. Ramasubramanian

Ramasubramanian New IL'ite

Hi Everybody I read this forum But actually speaking there was no greeting card available for both Sashtiapthapoorthi & Sadabishekam in any GREETING CARD WEBSITE why cant we take a step to create some GREETING cards for this basically Young people who dont know about this including me were searching for wishes so why cant we take steps to introduce some gretting cards which will help us in future I think this will help a lot of generation to come and current generation.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sir,
    Ours is a community site and we are interested only in hosting discussions on such functions and rituals which will benefit the community.
    Making greeting cards does not come under our agenda - thanks for your offer.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

4. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam,
    Can u pls give me some details abt the sashtiapthapoorthi function and why do we need to celebrate it? Actually, we have a f for our in-laws this moth and while i was telling this to my friend here, she just asked me this questio. i was not able to answer her clearly. it has become a custom nowadays celebrating it without knowing its significance.
    Konjum theleva therindhu kolvatharkaga, athai patri neengal solla mudiyuma? Muzhu vivaram therindhu, ketpavargalukellam solli seithal, nanraga irukkum and ninaikiren. pls help me.

I have seen sashtiaptha poorthi ad sadhabhisekam in my family, but since it's the first time in my in-lawfamily, all the relatives that side are pouring with questions. pls do help me.

sorry to bother u a lot on this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Priya

5. chla1978

chla1978 New IL'ite

Can Shastiabdapoorthy be conducted for parents by a daughter?

Hello !! :hiya

I am the only daughter for my parents. Is it okay per the vedas to conduct Shastiabdapoorthy for my parents as my father is completing 60 years in 2010 May?

Or is it a mandate that this ceremony should be done only by sons to his parents?

6. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Re: Can Shastiabdapoorthy be conducted for parents by a daughter?

Hi Charu,
    It's nice that you like to perform the ritual to ur parents as a daughter. good to hear that. yes, u can perform that. recently, we had the sashtiaptha poorthi for our in laws and we were held up here in US. so it was my sis-in law who perfrmed that with her husband in tirukadaiyur temple. and also we are only 3 daughters in our family. we have to perform the same ritual for my parents together. there is no restriction for that. Children who do these kind of rituals will be blessed is a belief irrespective of a ale or female. so go ahead and plan for that. Advance wishes.
    Priya

7. chla1978

chla1978 New IL'ite

Thats nice to know! We plan to be in Chennai next year May as our little bundle of joy will be 1 year by then.

8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Charu.

Best wishes.

There is no discrimination between son & a daughter in doing Shastiapdapoorthy.

You can very well do that. Go ahead and have the blessings of your parents.

Andal

9. syogesh79

syogesh79 New IL'ite

Hi All,

we are going to have our parents sashtiapthapoorthi celebrated in 11th September at thirukadaiyur. I will bring all the details.
    As of now we have booked everything over phone. They have asked us to be there on 10th September afternoon. Rituals and food is taken care by them.
    Accommodation is also taken care by them. In that town thirukadaiyur there is nothing called as muguratham date. Every day is a good day as many turn 60 & 80.

Plan has be in place and it should be in advance.

Regards,
    Yogesh

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
  10. lakshmilatest

lakshmilatest New IL'ite

Yogesh
    Please provide me with the phone #s if u have any. My father is turning 60 during the month of november. We want to do it in Thirukadaiyur,Your information is appreciated. Thanks .