Sashtiapthapoorthi & Sadabishekam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by DIvKar, Jan 5, 2007.

1. DIvKar

DIvKar New IL'ite

Hi,

I am wondering if someone could provide some information on the importance on sashtiapthapoorthi. Both my father and father-in-law are reaching 60 this year, and I guess we need to do something.

Would be great if someone could shed light on what needs to be done and how to go about it?

Regards
    Divya Ramakrishnan

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Welcome to IL & this Forum, Divya !

It is heartening to see youngsters like you to take interest & ask for details, to make sure that you celebrate both side parents" Sashtiabdapoorthi" in the prescribed manner ! I applaud you for being dutiful as a daughter & daughter-in-law !

This is a thanksgiving to God, that you are blessed with 60 yrs of life.

If it is a very simple ceremony, "ayush homam" minimum is a must. The other homams that can be included are, Navagraha homam ( praying to all planets for the well-being), Dhanvanthri homam ( praying for good health) and Mrithyunjaya homam ( praying for longevity).

The next higher step is to have Rudra Ekadashi if you are followers of Shiva.
    The sanctified water is done abhishekam for the couple, followed generally by a "Dhampadi pujai". This needs Purohits who are well qualified to chant Rudram & Chamakam.

Over & above, poor-feeding, making donations for worthy causes, creating endowments can all be done - these are more social than religious.

May be other members can throw more light on the subject ?
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Hullo
    Nice to kno u want to celebrate the parent's B.day according to tradition. Maybe you'd like to kno why we celebrate 60th. birthday as a milestone. In the Indian system , we count time in cycles of 60 years ( you might have heard the names of the 60 years - prabhava, vibhava etc) So when a person reaches 60, he is in the year of the same name as in which he was born and hence the successful completion of one cycle. So, we give thanks for this longivity and pray for a trouble -free old age.( remember in olden days, the average life expectancy was much less and only purana purushas are said to have lived for hundreds of years ! So completing one 60 yr. cycle was a big blessing)
    As Chitvish says, Ayushya Homan is a must, the others optional. In south india, we call it Arubatham Kalyanam giving rise to many jokes about 60th. wedding ! Actually Kalyanam only means auspicious occassion. But in some families they have a custom of having a real mini kalyanam with Mangalsutra, Swing function everything ! Maybe to cheer up the senior citizens !

Now-a-days, its becoming a custom to celebrate 60th. birthday at Thirukkadaiyoor because the presiding deity there is Amritha Ghateswara ( nectar lingam) who protected Markandeya from Death.

80th. birthday is the next milestone when a person is felicitated for having seen " a thousand full -moons ( sahasra Chandra Darshanam)".

VS

4. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi,sorry iam not giving u any information,but i just want to share the thing happened. on the day of my grandfather's 80th b'day v all r gathered there with happy to see the couple, suddenly my grand father said, dear all , at the age of my 30 i got married with same lady,later v had sastiapthaboorthyat the age of my 60,that time also with this same lady,atleast for my 80th b'day anyone can pls find a match for me,becoz again i have to marry the same lady,v all burst in to laughter,later my grandma scold him for this,that is anotherthing:mrgreen:
    pls convey our regards to ur parents & to ur inlaws.
    bye,
    vivbass.

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Reading all the posts especially when reading Vivbass's I was really thrilled to go through all those experiences we have had during our grandfather's and grandmother's sashtiappthapoorthi, BheemaRathaSanthi(70th Birthday), and Sadabishegam which we all celebrated last year. Though my grandfather is no more with us today I feel very excited thinking of him and all those he has done to all of us especially his grandchildren. He was a good friend, philosopher and guide to all of us. And more than all this he was my daughter's playmate.

Now coming back to Sashtiapthaboorthi- Mrs. Chitra has given you great many details. You can also celebrate it in Thirukadaiyur. It is a function to get blessing of those elders and moreover to bring all the relatives together as everyone of your relatives will want to get the blessings of those couples.

6. kalpana

kalpana Junior IL'ite

Sastipoorthi

Hi Divya,
    I appreciate that you thought about this, good:clap :clap

I go with Vidyasarada....
    Even my parents got this pooja done in Thirukkadayur. My uncle and aunt also had thier Sastipoorthi there.

Why don't you give it a go....

Regards
    Kalpana.

7. Kalsuri

Kalsuri New IL'ite

Thirukkadayur

I just read that one of your members had performesd Shashtiabdhapoorthi in Thirukkadayur.
    As we too intend to perform the sme there, I would be obliged if you can provide me with the procedure, rates, hotel bookings, etc. Incidentally, I live in Calcutta.

Thanks.
    Kalpana.

8. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Re: Sashtiapthapoorthi

Dear all,
    It is soo nice to see about Sashtiapthapoorthi...:)
    Would any of you know about any good priests in Dubai or Abudhabi, who can conduct this ceremony? My parents are in AD and my dad will turn 60 in a few months from now..

Please do write back if you have some information.

Thanks and love
    Pavithra

1 person likes this.
  9. Kalsuri

Kalsuri New IL'ite

Re: Sashtiapthapoorthi

hi,

Nice to read so many mails about shashtiabdhapoorthy. Can someone please enlighten me asto how to go about it if I want to perform it in Thirukkadayur. I need details, as I live in Calcutta and have no idea how to get going.
    Thanks,
    Kalpana.

10. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

60th wedding!!!!

hi everyone
    i would like u to put down watever u know that happens in 60th wedding also if u have any pics please upload them also tell me some new ideas to make it intrestin.like one of the il-ites had suggested in the mehendi thread to have a similar mehendi function for the parents 60th wedding.:goodidea:
    hopin that u all wud educate me more on this topic!!!
    luv
    pavithra