1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sarees My Passion

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by iyerviji, Aug 12, 2016.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Did not know where to post this

It must be the dream of every individual to appear beautiful. How to look beautiful is the one of the most important questions. mind and finding out the ways to achieve the objective of having the body beautiful is the major look out of almost all of them.

The simple way to look beautiful is to look natural. It is not true that wearing lots of makeup can really make one look beautiful. What is important is to look beautiful is by keeping the heart and mind pure in order to keep the inner self-beautiful and this in turn will attribute you with a body beautiful.

Draping in a saree a woman looks beautiful. I had an aunty who used to bring us saree when she used to visit us. That time I was still in my teens. I used to think once I start earning should have many sarees and should wear different saree everyday.

In the early stages it was not possible. Before marriage due to financial condition we used to get sarees only on Diwali . Me and my sister used to share the sarees. After marriage also it was very difficult to buy more sarees int he beginning. Once the children were born and they grew I got a chance to buy sarees more and used to like to collect sarees

When I wasworking we had a shop nearby. Me and my friend used to visit the shop during lunch time and we became their regular customer. Whenever new types of sarees came they used to call us and we used to be the first buyer. Once they had taken my photo also as a regular customer and put it in their marathi magazine. I dont know where that photo is now but somewhere it is safe. I always used to get the best sarees. When I used to go to catch the contract bus ladies going for walk used to wait to see which saree I am wearing.They used to tell me they like my collection of sarees. Also the people residing near my office used to appreciate my sarees.

During my brother in law's daughter's marriage my sister inlaw and her family went to Salem to buy sarees for the marriage. She told me also to come as they felt I am good at selecting. We went to the saree shop where they were weaving the pattu saree. I liked one blue saree which they just finished weaving and I took that saree and everyone liked it very much.

Earlier I used to buy the sarees but after retirement I have got many sarees as gifts given for marriages. Now since I am not working not able to use the sarees. I wear only when I go for functions or marriages. Evening while going to market dont feel like taking out the saree and wear , so go in a simple saree only.

Anyway I have worn different kind of sarees, different colours to my heart's content.

Amica, Caide, vrikshakadali and 6 others like this.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Nice one as always

iyerviji likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:) Hope they also gave you decent discount for being a loyal customer!

Viji, did you change the style of blouse over the years or stick to the original cut? The length of sleeve in particular and also neck shape.

I hate the blouses with small sleeves. Sometimes the stubborn tailor refuses to stitch longer (like 5-6 inches) sleeve since it is out of fashion.

Also, did you ever wear sleeveless blouse? Must be common in Bombay.

iyerviji likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sindmani for the first feedback

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Glad to get your feedback Rihana dear Ya dear they used to give decent discount and we always used to be the first buyer. When long sleeves was in fashion I used to wear long sleeves , then later short sleeves but not very short , now I dont like long sleeves. Neck shape always the same . I have been giving for stitching for me and for my daughters only to one tailor, only for sometime changed as we had shifted to a different place. I dont wear sleeveless dear

vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  6. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Hi vijima....nice write-up.

I love sarees too. The best part is I look good in them too. But DH doesn't like sarees. He feels saree is very restrictive.

Added that working in an MNC has made it next to impossible to wear a saree.

I have a nice collection too. The ironic thing is my best sarees are a gift from my husband.

I hope you post pictures of a few of your sarees.

7. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Vijima,

Lovely post as always:blush:. I love sarees, I started with half saree as a teenager and moved on to the 6 yards , as mentioned by Rihana with different blouse styles. Here in US I never miss an occasion when I can wear them. I love 9 yards (Madisar) too, I wear them to temples during pooja time and I get a lot of compliments:relaxed:. I really miss India in these aspects, where I will get to wear fresh Malli poo along with my Kancheevarams and Madisar :) :)

8. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

true true saree is always best

9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Nice post Viji ma'am .
    Did you ever wear chiffon sarees like Yash Chopra Heroines.....with a long Palloo?
    I love chiffon sarees . I think I will get some blouses stiched(old ones are always shriinking .....o_O)and take out my sarees and start wearing them. You have renewed my interest again.

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame