1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saree shopping made easier

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Vidya24, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

You don't say!

Really Vandhana...saris with pockets??? Gosh! What next:)

L, Kamla

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    now you get desogner sarees which are easy to wear and manage. The pallu side will thin out and then again flare out-the saree will be lesser in width at the shoulder and again flare out.It is easy to manage and looks nice also. You can watch for this type of saree in the Hindi serials.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I don't know......

Oh Varloo.......I am not so sure if I like what is happening to our dear old sari...pockets and narrow bit followed by a flared pallu.....hmmmmmmmm..Give me my old classic sari anyday pleeeeease:)

L, Kamla

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Varloo,
    I too noticed these sarees , but i did not know they r available inthe market...thought hey were specially designed for serials....for the rich and beautiful...ha ha

So did u do any saree shopping, hunting on the eve of your b'day! :-D

Thanks for the update on sarees...

5. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Butterfly Pallu saree

Hi ladies.,
    I am new to this thread.
    & I don't know much about sarees.Bcz from last 3 yrs I am wearing saree.
    & from last 1yr 3 months i am staying at abroad.
    So i have no idea about Latest models.
    After coming to USA i used to browse some sites to know about latest models.

I have seen Butterfly pallu saree in some sites & some celebrity functions.
    People in India must be having some idea about this saree.
    This Butterfly pallu saree looks very passion & Modren.
    Pallu looks rich with white jari type thread.
    Pallu is wide(just like regular model) at the waist & just 1feet width at the sholder & normal at rest of the pallu.
    This pallu looks just like Butterfly wings only.

I am very enthusiastic about latest models of sarees
    can any body tell me, the normal people(i mean except heroines) used to ware this saree or not?
    & How it looks ? .

Thanku all
    Bye :wave
    & waiting for ur replies.

6. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I see that sarees from namma karnataka have not found mention here. So here goes:

1, Mysore Silk : of course very famous. Fine crepe silk that drapes so well. Like the ad. for a suiting material says, " Feels like Heaven !"

3. Bangalore silk : Not really a legitimate species. But because of the silk industry thriving here, new varieties of silk finishes keep appearing. " Bangalore Silk" is a modern invention , also called Butter Silk . Its a thin variety, finished to look shiny and smooth, mostly printed.

2. Belgaum Sarees : Rustic chic. Very ethnic borders with solid dark hued body. Full Cotton or silk+cotton, cotton+rayon mix. Thick and Long lasting.

3. Ilkal: Beautiful woven borders and pallu. Horizontal "rasta" markings in body are unique.

4. Hubballi: (Hubli-Dharwad) Dark earthy colours with maroon / chocolate brown woven borders with Matting design. The woven blouse( seperate from saree) pieces with Kottadi( tiny checks) design look vert arty

5 Kasuti Embroidery : Delicate hand embroidery done on any dark coloured saree of thick cotton or silk is very much Karnataka. The single- thread work employs only two kinds of stiches: The running stich called Gavanti and the zig-zag called murgee. The work is so fine that the design ( tribal art motifs) looks same on front and on reverse side too. At present Kasuti work done on Polycot sarees is also available .

6. Molakalmuru : Crisp Handloom Silk sarees.

VS

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Sunikris,
    I have not seen anyone wearing this butterfly saree. But many women's mag. featured this saree as a new introduction. I guess, many people would not wear such sarees in the public places, but for parties and other places, I think you can try. You know, it may catch like fire and many ladies would follow you. So try that according to the crowd and where you go.
    Many trends catch up like this only. We can see many brides leaving their hair loose during the reception or engagement, even middle class girls do that now. Nowadays you can do whatever you feel comfortable with.

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    this saree of ours is a wonderful and elusive dress. I hear that this is the longest cloth to be worn unstitched.
    Mostly the South Indians wear the saree. We see many styles of this garment in different parts of our country. Even Srilankans wear it in a different style.
    The normal type of saree which most women wear is actually supposed to be from Andhra.
    In Tamil Nadu, after the pavaadai chattai, comes the dhavani or half saree. Then it is directly to saree traditional to the caste one belongs to- madisar for Brahmins and Kandangi for others. Both these saree styles have the gatherings (kosuvam) at the back.
    The kantangi was very convenient when the women worked in the paddy fields- the kosuvam did not get soiled as it was on the back.
    Many of the women of those days have not worn the half saree or present day saree- they went to madisar straight away from pavaadai chattai due to child marriage.
    The Karnataka women wear the saree with kachai (the front pleats is tucked on the behind) on the outside. The Marathis also wear like that.
    Except the Madisar and Gujarati style, all others wear the pallu on the left shoulder.
    I guess the Coorg women wear their pallu from back to front on the right shoulder.
    The Kerala women used to wear the Mundu and Neriyal till some years back. Now they too wear saree only or salwar kameez which had become our nations dress.
    The beauty of the saree is, one can wear it and fully cover oneself, even with out inskirt and blouse.
    The old sarees used to serve many purposes, they doubled as 'thooli' for the babies, where the babies slept well as they had their mothers fragrance on the cloth. The old cotton sarees are so soft that it is very much advisable to use them for infants.
    And women of the villages and rural area even washed the saree that they were wearing- one half at a time. And it is dried in the same way , the woman wears one part and dries the other and vise versa. Saree is a boon for the Indian woman, don't you think so?

9. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Hi Varloo,
    Thanku for ur detailed reply.
    Thanks for letting me know about Butterfly pallu saree.
    & Thanks for being with me.

Bye :wave

10. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

maybe, a denim saree next????????

Hi ladies,

I wouldn't be surprised to see saree made out of denim material soon.
    or maybe, it's already in the market.
    butterfly pallu sarees, saree with pockets, oh, my god, waht more in line?????
    in a way, it's nice to have some variety & style but then, who's gonna wear it?? has anyone tried these?? pls do tell us how you felt wearing one.
    OR shall I hunt for one & model for IL, what you guys say ??????????????

anyway, nice to know all latest news about our sexy dress, SAREE.

Love & regards,