1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saree shopping made easier

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Vidya24, Jun 7, 2006.

1. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

sarees, sarees & more of them.......

Wow, Vandhana, you seem to have a good collection of sarees.
    where did you pick them from???
    Once at Deepam I saw the Jamdhani sarees & I fell in love with them - I didn't know these are from Dhaka/Bengal. the other one Dhakai silk - are they so thin & silky to pull thru a ring??? would love to see them. Pls do share some places in India where we can buy these.
    Maybe I shld spend sometime in Deepam. Pls do give some good places in Blore where we can shop for sarees.

Varloo & Sudha, you both seem happy discussing about sarees. I do see the ads in tamil channels & the variety available now. Its too many choice & its confusing. I bought one mundu (kerala type) saree with zari work on the pallu using diff colored threads. Its a beautiful one. I like cotton salwars but cotton sarees is too much of a work - starching etc.

Saree is so popular now in the west. Just to share an incidence - a lady from london came to me and asked how we stitch blouses. she didn't know we had hooks in the front & she thought the tailor stitches it on us & we can't remove it ourselves. then I showed other ladies who had knots & hooks at the back & told her its easy to remove. she'd a loud laugh & said she's amazed at this particular dress.

Its definitely the best dress for women.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

and more on sarees

It is such fun to talk about sarees.

It is 32 degrees here and 32 here is like 40 in India. So we are all freaking out on Indian kurtis and sarees. But the Dutch seem to find the saree rather daring that the mid riff is slightly exposed. So, now have got all blouses made long, almost tucked into my saree.

Vandhana- can you tell me where i can get a Tangail in India? Calcutta? Know any shops?

Keep this thread growing, ladies.

cheers
    Vidya

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

The Bengal and Dhaka Sarees

Hi Everyone,

My mom's bengali friend reffered her saree walla to us( the one who comes every now and then from Bengal with the huge pile of sarees tied into a bundle ) . He is the one who got all my baluchadi, tangail, dhaka sarees. My mom used to order from him, and he got it specially made.
    Meena, the tangail/dhaka silk is indeed so fine it can be pulled through a ring. That saree guy showed us. Those sarees are a pleasure to wear. They are so light and elegant.

I don't know any place in bangalore for buying these Sarees. But Rasi in Chennai has some nice ones.

Am sure calcutta is good place to buy these sarees.

Vandhana

4. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

hello!

Vandhana, you have a big collection of sarees!
    I wouldn't wear sarees, but like to spy on others in sarees:) . Why don't you buy a kerala saree(known as set mundu or set saree)? Ladies look so lovely in that and the appearance is simple!

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

the handloom house in m.g.road has what u ask

dear vandhana,
    the tangailand thather shaadi available at handloom house in M.G.road in bangalore....u can try out...but pl do chek with the length they r sometime not enough for a long pallav to hand down....regards sunkan

6. smithabose

smithabose New IL'ite

Hi,
    There is

Narayan Peth Sarees from Maharashtra

Bomkai from Orissa

Ponchampalli from Andhra Pradesh .

Taat (usually cotton sarees) from Bengal.
    and also Shantiniketan sarees from Bengal are very famous.

7. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies in Chennai and India ,
    What's new in Sarees for Diwali.....have been seeing so many ads on reversible and 4 types in one saree etc. Any inputs on that....and whats the latest which is fast moving and lovely...come on let us on it, even if we have no festive look out here.

8. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

With a very little knowledge I have on sarees this year there are lots of Silk sarees variety that has got introduced..........the reversible saree had been quite famous with jothika in the ad (the bride)-This is from RMKV...........Samudhrika pattu from Pothys with Meera Jasmine in the ad and..........and Parampara Pattu in dashing bright colours with Sudha Raghunathan in the lead...Sudha Raghunathan is looking absolutely wonderful (but not sure whether theses sarees would suit us)...........of course Amirthavarshini Sarees from Kumaran Silks had been there and ..........The Silk Cotton Sarees from Prashanthi is sure a hit.........In fact for this Diwali I got one Silk Cotton Sarees from Prashanthi and one similar colour salwar from Sri krishna Collections........Thats my update.......

9. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Reversible pattu pavadai too

Hi Sudha,
    yes the reversible pattu pudavai is creating quiet a stir this festive season.
    All the girls are also having their share with reversible pattu pavadai - Jingle bells on one side and dancing dolls ballet on the other.

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Pocket Sarees! What next?

I saw the ad for pocket sarees by Kumaran silks yesterday. What will they think of next? It is a nice idea. but don't knowif this will take off. Nice marketing too.

Vandhana