1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sandilyan Fan Club

Discussion in 'Books & Authors in Regional Languages' started by Rajeni, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

On seeing @AkilaPaarri 's thread for Ponniyin Selvan Fans, I thought why not create one for another wonderful historic fiction writer in Tamil - the one and only SANDILYAN!

I love his writings - esp. Yavana Rani (can create a seperate thread for this master piece), Kadal Pura and Jala Deepam. The sweet Tamil language is sweeter in his poetic narration.

I like his narrating style more than Kalki's - PS is still my best book - but when it comes to varnanai Sandilyan is a master! His attention to deal, the pace in which the story moves, his elaborate narration are all simply awesome! And, of course, the suspense he maintains at the end of each chapter!

Come Ladies, share what books of his you have read, your thoughts/opinion about his writing or if he is in your to-read list! And don't forget to tag the friends you think might have read him!

Tagging a few Ladies I know who might have read him - @stayblessed @blackbeauty84 @periamma @sreeram @aarthi28 @cherrybud @Deepu04

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Confession:
    Sandilyan is not my first love in tamil authors. But I have read many of his books. I have read the titles you mentioned.
    What I love about Sandilyan is his attention to details, the way he describes a character,feelings of a person. No one can beat him for that.

Rajeni likes this.
  3. Rajeni

That's what made me love his writing BB! His narration coupled with my love towards our history!
    Sandilyan's Jala Deepam is the first book I have ever read. My reading journey began from him..

4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Mannan Magal is my favorite, though I liked reading all his works.
    Many of these books, my father and siblings bought and collected for our own personal library as well.
    Rajaberigai is another lovely one.

-rgs

Rajeni likes this.
  5. Rajeni

Welcome Rgs!! Mannan magal s my favorite too! I remember getting all excited about seeing Vandhiyadhevar in it!
    Rajaberigai -yet to read! Added to my list
    And, in Vilairaani.. I loved the way he picturized the protaganist - "vigaaramuga valiban"

And, yes its through my parents' collection I got to read him. I secretly read a few chapters of Jala Deepam when I was in class 12, then reread it completely when I was in college..
    I believe most of our parents generation would have been the ones who waited for the weekly magazines to read Sandilyan!

periamma likes this.
  6. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

My first read of Sandilyan is "Kadal PuRaa". For the sea warfare and ships, I read it twice even then.
    The last that I read of his works was Rajamuthirai.
    Even his Rajathilagam is an extremely good one.

And Tiberius from Yavana Raani is still frsh in my mind! -rgs

stayblessed and periamma like this.
  7. Rajeni

Kadal PuRaa is my second! The desc of the ship still stays fresh in my memory.. and I remember ILaiya Pallavan's introduction on his entry into one of Kalinga's port. He would have compared the angry ILaiyaPallavan to a torch (thee pandham).
    How can one forget Tiberius! And, the comparison between Yavana Rani and Poovazhagi comparing then to lily and Sembaga Poo, ILanchezhiyan admiring the Sun and the Moon comparing them to Gold and Silver Coins.. so many things come to my mind when I think of Yavana Rani..

And, The terrific Kanhoji Angre of Jala Deepam is also fresh in my memory!

8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Rajeni Thanks for tagging me.i too read Yavana Rani,kadalpura,jaladheepam and many more of his books.But i have forgotten the character's names as years passed.i remember the Picture of the ship with sails and the descriptions.very poor memory for me.i think i must read again these books.

stayblessed likes this.
  9. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rajeni, thanks for the tag, indeed an exemplary writer, I have read only yavana rani and kadalpura, and my favourite is aslo yavana rani. Romba naalachu, this thread reminds me to read it again. Thanks to you for that

10. Rajeni

Hey, welcome SB! I just thought he deserves a fan club in IL! :D

Of course, Yavana Rani is a masterpiece! Try Jala Deepam too! Its also a wornderful work next to Yavana Rani and Kadal Pura.

stayblessed likes this.