1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Sam's Club vs. Costco? Is the membership really worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sharvani, May 7, 2014.

1. Sharvani

Sharvani Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I have been in US for more than 8 years now.. but never felt the need to take the membership for the wholesale stores. Now that we are going to have a baby in few months.. many of our friends are suggesting to take the membership for such stores. We have a Sam's club near our place and a Costco about an hour from our place. Distance in not an issue.. but I am concerned which would be best? I have been to both Sam's and Costco with friends.. and have felt the costs are too much even for bulk items... which could be bought fresher and for less price in other local retail stores.. we are in dilemma whether it is worth it to get the membership or go for one.. which store carries best products, both from family and baby perspective?

Looking forward for your valuable suggestions my dear ladies :wave

Sharvani

2. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

I would prefer Costco, even there store brand Kirkland is very good and very well priced, as are there pharmacy items, detergents etc which you will be needing a lot more of now. they also get some very good household items from season to season which are good deals. I like the quality of their items and return policy is very good.

3. Sharvani

Sharvani Bronze IL'ite

Thankyou peeks :)

Did you happen to buy any baby products from costco? Are they good too?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have a Costco membership, since it is closer to my place than Sam's. I shop there often and have been very pleased with the store. We easily recover the membership fee. I buy produce, fruit, eggs, rice, sugar, coffee beans, cooking oil, maple syrup, peanut butter, cleaning supplies, paper goods, office supplies and dog treats regularly.
    It saves me the hassle of running around to different stores, so I don't mind spending a little more if it comes to it. There are also seasonal products like garden supplies, that are a good buy. Milk is also cheap, as well as cereals, snacks, desserts etc but I don't buy these. Their organic and frozen products are of great quality and good price.
    Costco also has some items based on the neighborhood demographics . Ours sells rotis, nans, ready-t-eat Indian food and snacks too.

5. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

My advice: You take the membership for a year and check it. If you do not like it you can choose not to renew it.
    I have been with, and without wholesale shop membership. In the past 7 years, we had a year of BJ's ,and now a costco membership. I do not find that we are saving big time with the membership.

We did amazon save and subscribe for pampers diaper. It worked out very cost-effective during those "diapering' years. Now the LO is diaper-free during the day time, and the mostly during the night as well.

For baby-food, I have not used any wholesale shop because of the lack of variety (4 boxes of three flavors). My kids were/are still picky eaters. So, I preferred to buy from outside (shoprite) where I can pick up different varieties. I used Gerber food mostly during travel. At home I puree the fruits and veggies.

I have costco membership. I use it mostly for mushrooms, and 1 % organic milk. Also to buy juice-boxes or appetizers for the get-together.

If one is the "couponing" person and the one who look out for deals; I feel one can save a great deal, and shop efficiently w/o going to the wholesale. Plus, your lifestyle also matters. If you are a working mom, gerber food from costco, and finger food boxes might help you to save the time. As prev. poster mentioned one stop shop, and the quality of costco food is great. But you have ample time, do not mind going around shops (retail therapy), and get some sort of "weird happiness" saving a few cents (like me), then you can save a few bucks going to local retail shops. Ultimately, it depends on the kind of person you are, your needs, and your lifestyle. It will be different for everyone.

6. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

We love Sams and as other ilite pointed out, you will recover the cost of membership soon. Also, if you are not satisfied, you can chose to terminate the membership and get the fee credited. I find that sometimes, for certain items like milk, eggs, cereals, veggies, fruits, good free range meat, fruit juices, salt, sugar, rice, cooking oil, mattress or furniture, electronics or even gasoline etc, Sams has the lowest price(compared to walmart or other retail stores). They often have discounted/special prices for members. Only problem is that everything is in bulk, so it might take a while before things get used up.

7. Sharvani

Sharvani Bronze IL'ite

Thanks to you all for your wonderful suggestions.. I will definitely keep this in mind before going for membership with these.. Thanks again!!! friendssmiley