1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Same Sex Marriage - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sbonigala, Oct 19, 2016.

1. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

With same sex marriage being legal now, does anyone think it effects the family construct and the society as a whole?
    Is marriage all about having two consenting adults or do you think it is more than that ?
    I am sure we all have some thoughts, questions and opinions about this.

This thread is for an open discussion to understand the thoughts and opinions of ILs on this hot topic in some parts if the world.

GlobetrotterG likes this.

2. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

I think it is about two consenting adults. I think everyone has a right to choose their partner.
    It will definitely change the structure of the traditional family. But ppl can come out of the closet and lead the life they want to. Better than spoiling 2 other's lives by unsuitable marriage.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

What two consenting adults do is none of my business or frankly anyone else's. If they want to enter into a loving Union more power to them. It is going to cause a shift in societal attitudes. Even in America the reality is very different in urban versus less urban areas. I cannot imagine how this would play out in Indian society.

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I see it enriching the society. Less discrimination. More people can be themselves. And it's no one else's business to comment indeed.

Most of all, being in a traditional set up, I consider it my duty to ensure that my child thinks it's completley normal for any person to choose to love another without being prejudiced by gender or race or other such parochial parameters.

Strangely and unfortunately some people - even some Caucasians - are unhappy with my candour. That doesn't make me condone bigotry.

5. sbonigala

Thanks for your responses dear ILites.
    Lets see what others think about this.

6. sbonigala

I think that a marriage between a man and woman is much better than having it any other way.

Reasons:

1. Man and woman are two different entities, none is superior or inferior than the other. They complement and complete each other. So when an child is raised in such environment, the child will have better idea of how men's thought process would/should be and how a woman should/would think. Things that a mother can teach, a father will not be able to teach a kid and vice versa.

2. When the wedding is brought down to "legality between two consenting adults" there is a chance that this can be misused for the sake of pleasure - trial and error between two men/women which can be mentally draining and depressing. This poses an issue where the effected person doe snot know whom he/she is inclined to, after the break up.

3. Today it is between two consenting adults. Tomorrow it might be anything. I think somethings are best when left the way they are supposed to be, in accordance to the nature and basic creation of human life, that is a man and a woman being a couple and raising a family.

APS45 and 28neha like this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I personally think a marriage between a man and woman is better than any other set ups. My faith/religious belief backs this up, so I can't think of this by any other ways.

However, I am no one to comment when someone else thinks differently. Again my faith/religious belief tells me not to discriminate anyone on any ground.

If a woman feels connected to another woman, and not at all connected to a man in anyway... we can't force her to marry a man and lead a meaningless marriage for a life time. By this, she is not contributing anything to her family or the society.
    Rather, she will become a looser, and make her spouse a looser too. Two losers can do nothing to enrich their society, rather they would contribute to the negatives, such as alcoholism, chauvinism and what not. Because lack of satisfaction and unhappiness is the root for all the problems.

I personally can't think of a gay/lesbian relationship. That is fine for me.
    But if anyone from my circle is to favor this, I would be the first one to stand by them.
    Because their sexual orientation is not my business. But their rights is...

Jlisabell, blindpup10, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  8. sbonigala

Totally understand.
    My personal opinion too is according to my faith and my beliefs.
    I personally cannot imagine myself being in a lesbian relationship. Neither would I prefer my kids to be in such a relationship. I would prefer them to have a traditional family - a man and a woman.

Discrimination is completely wrong. No human being should be discriminated based on their color/caste/nationality/sexual preference/ whatever other factors I would have missed out to write.

I understand it a human's right to choose what they want to have but I also do not want to leave out the fact that this kind of love and relationship has higher chances of fading out over time and there are higher chances that the partners get over possessive about each other leaving very less room for privacy.

One may say that this also happens in marriages between male and female but since the topic is same sex marriage I would choose to stick to the topic. I feel the above issues work a bit better in traditional marriages than in the same sex marriages.

Maybe its just okay if the couple choose to live as a couple without bringing in a kid.

When a same sex couple chooses to bring a kid into the family, I feel the kid will not have the chance to see the world just the way his/her peers (coming from the traditional marriage) do.

I firmly believe that a kid needs and deserves a male perspective of the world (that comes from male father) as much as the kid needs and deserves a female perspective of the world (that comes from a female mother) and that no one has a right to deprive the kid of the basic right to have a mom/dad.

GlobetrotterG and APS45 like this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I do appreciate the fact that it is not for some people. I don't think it is for me either. And that is completely personal.

However I do not think it is right to denounce families which have chosen to have a same sex partner and bring a child into the world.

Let us remember happy families are made in many many ways. There are many well adjusted kids I see who've been raised by same sex parents who are loving and supportive of each other.

In fact I'd go as far as to say with the amount of emotional and mental abuse and control that seems to go on in indian families and the sort of ignorant people many kids from that environment have grown into, a traditional family set up isn't much to shout from the roof tops about.

And oh! Homosexual behaviours are exhibited by animals too. It is also completely natural. It has been unjustly suppressed in the human community. Hence it seems nee and foreign. That is all.

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I am totally ok with any family set up that is functional... whether it is made up of 2 men or women or a man and a woman is irrelevant!

As for people saying it's not for me, I don't think it is a preference that you can choose to stay away from... I firmly believe that people are wired to be gay or not, so the question of "it's not for me" doesn't apply here.