1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sambhar Uninterrupted

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Never learned Telugu script; too many spell-o's when I attempt. Tamil is a wee better, but still spell-o's come up. Here is my attempt: "குழந்தை வாய முத்தமிட்டா மாதிரி இருக்கு" (transliteration: kuzhandai vaayai muthamittaa maadhiri irukku). Meaning: Feels/tastes like kissing a baby's mouth. Obviously, this aphorism is only possible when one had kissed a spicy mouth of a grownup:blush:.

When reading through your essay, several thoughts come up. Some are rather kosher (for this forum's decorum standards). The idea of "picking and setting aside the curry leaf of a sambar", as well as "kissing a baby's mouth" are often heard from grownups in the kitchen, older widowed relatives, who had been picked off by life's bad luck, and consigned aside for kitchen duty. Fit metaphors for that set aside curry leaf, with long ago memories of spicy kisses :disrelieved:.

Like I often say to myself... never mind.

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very true. Recipes vary a lot. And also the same recipe cooked in a different place, tastes different. Initially, I craved the taste of Indian vegetables when cooking in the U.S. Used to try all varieties of tomatoes and more. Finally, man is a creature of habit. Now, I've almost forgotten the taste from childhood.

That makes me wonder - cooking in party size amounts sometimes gives a different taste to a dish. My grandma used to say it is because of the different source of heat (wood, cooked in open air, etc).

3. Rihana

Not to turn it into mutual admiration society here, but it is mostly reading your snippets that has made me observe more, and be more conscious about simple joy in the little things.

My dream kitchen would have a door with a lock (on the inside : ) )

20? Wow. Can imagine the scene, all sitting on the floor, and the love and noise and cousins mock competing for the veges.

Really? No twinning here. : ) If I leave dishes in the sink for the next day, it spoils my post dinner time and sometimes I even have bad dreams of a long-ago roommate, who had a strict rule of no dishes in sink. Once I left the rinsed pressure cooker in the left-side sink, forgot to put it in dish-stand. Aiyo what a lecture she gave me. Though I don't mind if I've rinsed the dishes and just need to load.

: ) For me that is when His Excellency of few words and rare compliments, asks, "Is there more?" Or, "Can I take more, are you saving for tomorrow's lunch?"

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Srama like this.
  4. Rihana

Thank you! For the gentle nudging, including this thread: From Thoughts To Words

5. Rihana

Thank you. Will ask a friend for an equivalent Telugu version and maybe will post too.

I am glad you didn't post un-kosher thoughts. : ) Wouldn't do to spoil everyone's sambhar experience for ever. : ) There is a scene in the Hindi movie Sarvamangal savdhaan, where the heroine's friend tells her she will never look at or eat a glucose biscuit the same way again. Youtube has it "<movie name> funny scene."

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Please do. I had been dragged off to grow up in forin by my allegedly-Telugu parents. They said that I behaved-- during my troublesome years-- like I was raised by wolves. Like all foreign raised children, I think why my parents had not done the impossible. Taught me indian languages so that I can fully enjoy filmi music, and the culture like a native can.
    I miss @Blinky; didn't she post a picture of a sambar ?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Rihana

Haven't had drumsticks in sambhar in a long time. The kids don't like the drumsticks, don't even now how to eat : ) We are more than happy to finish all the drumstick pieces ourselves.
    LOL. I have a huli-anna friend in real life. I don't ask her what was lunch. I ask was it not huli-anna. : )

I take out the dabbas that are in top shelves first, so I don't spend time when oil is hot to drag a chair and get on to it oh-so-carefully (ain't getting any younger!)

jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Rihana

Thank you. Hadn't read about Sambhar Lake in a long time. Looks like it is the scene for movie shooting, riding bikes... and the movie PK had scenes there.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Rihana

Aah I remember those days. Used to drop off one to a class, rush back home, switch on stove, and finish half a dish. Drive back again in 40 minutes. Carpools never worked for me. 2 kids and a dog!! That's quite a lot of distraction!
    Only we women would have this combination as a dream combination - wine, kids and cutting veggies. : )

Rakhii and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

So it is!!
    But a special kind.
    Normally it is wine, friends, and conversation.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018