1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sambhar Uninterrupted

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Have you ever seen bleary-eyed new parents gazing down adoringly at the baby finally fast asleep in the crib? Marvelling at their own creation, reaching out to caress its cheek but drawing the hand back just in time? Switching off the cooker in my kitchen, that was how I lovingly inspected the steaming sambhar and counted the floating vegetables like parents count toes and fingers of the newborn.

I had cooked sambhar a million times and can make it in my sleep, but this time was special. I closed my eyes and stirred the daal with the wooden spoon. It was mashed to a perfect consistency. The onion pieces had cooked to just the right shape, texture and translucency. Their pale yet healthy color reminded me of the cheeks of heroines on Barbara Cartland book covers that I had read as a young girl. Curry leaves retained their crispness and promised to be crunchy for the brave eater who did not push them aside.In the time honored style of experienced cooks, I scooped a little sambhar on to my left palm and tasted it. The mustard seeds and cumin that got into the sample proved that the tadka heat had been reduced just in time. I can go on with its praises but that would make me seem like the marriage-broker waxing so lyrical about the girl that the boy’s family starts to suspect something is amiss. But I have to mention the coriander leaves that did not get too cooked and did not remain bright green either. They settled into the sambhar comfortably like a haircut that is a day old.

Rome was not built in a day and the perfect sambhar did not get cooked in a hurry. I had had the luxury of cutting the vegetables without interruptions such as phone or email. No multitasking and saving time. I lined the beans and cut them to exact one inch pieces. Slowly and carefully. Each vegetable received the consideration it deserved. The daal was washed properly with no shortcuts and boiled with carefully measured water. The spices for tadka were set out before the oil got too hot. When time, care and love are added to the effort, the result is worth savoring. I served myself some in a bowl and sat down at my table.

As I blew air to cool the sambhar, so many memories came flooding into my mind. Memories of sitting down on the floor of my childhood kitchen to have rice and sambhar made by mom. Learning the method to make the sambhar a little at a time. The first time I was allowed to mash the daal. Mom had the time to teach. In those days, time was on our side.

They say “love” is the ingredient that mothers add to “mother’s cooking.” In my case, it is a rather humble thing - time. When I take more time to cook something, when I am not in a rush, and there are no interruptions during the cooking, the dish comes out better. I have noticed this many times.

So, that is my secret ingredient for cooking a perfect dish - uninterrupted time. One friend needs to have all the ingredients out of the cabinets and on the counter before she starts cooking. Another friend prefers the kitchen to be sans other people when she is cooking. I only need time. Contiguous, uninterrupted time.

What do you need for your perfect dish? Any time-tried tricks?

peddadas, Balajee, Shanvy and 22 others like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

A baby analogy !! And a conclusion about a full term, healthy-looking, sambhar !!
    One of the old, old comments a grandma would make about a sambhar the new DIL has made, after few drops on the palm is tasted: " tastes like kissing a baby". In vernacular Telugu or Tamil, this has greater humorous impact.
    When emigrated desis make sambhar for a family, there'd be children who would want a sambhar like kissing a baby, whereas the 1st gen' emigré would want it hot like his mom used to make it in Guntur, AP. The clever wife would pick off all the (totally unbroken) red chilis from the Tadka and set them aside. After the whole Sambhar is done, she'd separate the dish into two portions. One for the amreeki-born children, and the other for the immigrant parent. Into the 2nd portion, she'd add the red chilis that had been set aside (either whole or broken in two) and microwave that a couple of minutes, and give it a stir.

Sambhar twins. One satvik, and the other, hot and temperamental. Just like in a bollywood movie.

Shouldn't Asafoetida be the name of the heroine ?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    umaakumar, Rihana, Amica and 5 others like this.
  3. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Rihana
    I enjoyed reading your snippet...The way you compared the sambhar to a cutesy sleeping baby was interesting.....

True that, growing up we had both love and time, and things were simple.
    Our mothers were a YouTube cooking channel, tarla dalal and everything....

I can cook a perfect dish, when I or plan on my own and cook without anyone’s help....
    Not just calls and texts, I hate when someone keeps entering the kitchen while am cooking, but unfortunately can’t stop it..

I love listening to music while I am cooking, I find it soothing and relaxing.... I try to be happy while I cook, because I don’t like to serve food which was cooked in a sad or unhappy mood...

My kitchen was, is and will forever remain my R&D and L&D center.

Rihana, Amica, kkrish and 3 others like this.
  4. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

Beautifully written! :clapclap:

Rihana likes this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Lol. I remember one of my relative telling the same !

Rihana likes this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

:sunglasses::sunglasses:@Rihana Your narration is craving me to have good sambar now :hollering:
    Recently, I tasted Vada and sambar made by a relative. It was so heavenly and tasted just like Darshini hotels from Bangalore..

My DH always says tat we need to have patience while cooking. But most of the times I end up cooking in a hurry, just for the sake of cooking..

But coincidentally today my DH was full on praising me telling , whatever I cooked today turned out yummy :sunglasses:

I was in a very good mood today while cooking and also very curious to try out new stuff..

As @nandinimithun already mentioned that if we are in good mood while cooking, everything turns out yummy !

Rihana, Amica, Rakhii and 3 others like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Whoa :clap2:. I’m sure your food is graded highest! :blush:

8. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana,

Enjoyed imagining the sambar made by you, I wish you had added a picture of that adorable sambar sitting with all pride on a heap of rice in your plate. An action packed video would have been even better; we could have even seen the proud and satisfied smile of a loving creative mum!

For a perfect dish I need a calm and happy mind. For the best results I prefer uninterrupted kitchen time.
    The sambar without a strong flavour of asafoetida (devil's dung) is unimaginable!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Rihana, Amica, shravs3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Hehe, will leave that to my hubby, who has been my poor lab baby for years now:grimacing::grinning:.....
    Have successfully tried many recipes in my R&D and L&D center for him.:smile:

Rihana, shravs3 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  10. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rihana,
    I wish I can write like you. I can see the sambar in my eyes. It must have been tasted divine too. I love cooking and I do multitasking. But, before I cook, I run the plan in my head so I don't feel the pressure. I think when we feel the love and the intention to make the loved ones happy with a good meal it will turn out divine too.
    You have written simply beautifully.
    Vani