saffron during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sruthu, Feb 25, 2008.

1. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Re: What is ur view on having milk with saffron for the complexion of the baby/??

Hi,

As others said i too taken it, nothing harm. I don't know if its true or not, but my kid is really fair than both of us. Might be she would have got that from her granny too who knows..

But one of my aunty said it helps to keep the body without getting cold during pregnancy, so i started taking in that sense rather than thinking about complexion...

2. npri

npri Bronze IL'ite

Re: What is ur view on having milk with saffron for the complexion of the baby/??

Just to add up to all your info..

Proven results when consuming Safron
    * It increases body temperature , be little casious when your body temperature is already high.
    * It helps in blood circulation for the baby. The blood to-fro from the kid would increases resulting in good growth to the baby

3. ish333

ish333 Senior IL'ite

I am not yet a mother. But as far as i know the baby's hair color,features,skin color depends on the genes.

4. eliz

eliz New IL'ite

helllo alll...

thanks for ur replies...:)Infact i have had it for one month now...yeah its smells so pungent.. and here in dubai i had to buy 4gms of the stuff for AED 170..Thats roughly around 2200 INR..:hide:...Well..as u all say, i know it depends on the genes wether ur child is fair..but all r taking it just becoz of the myth.. anyway, i havent noticed any bad effects so far.. my temp has slightly increased i feel.. that i am always hot... both me and my parents and all in our family are fair..:coffee so if my child is fair then also, i cannot find if it is becoz of the saffron intake.... :bonkI am taking it 3-4 strands with milk before bed...

eliz

5. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

Hi Lavii,
    Where did you buy Saffron. even i want to take it with milk but scared of duplicates.
    Hansika

6. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

hansika
    one of my uncle went to manali recently and i had asked him to get it
    he said there are stores there which are organised by govt from where he got it

7. shalsraaj

shalsraaj Bronze IL'ite

hi guys, i am in the 6th month of pregnancy. my MIL has got saffron from some of her known friends for 340 per gram. Is that an original product???

because i saw in the thread ppl saying it costs around 1000 per gm.
    Please help me out. I am not bothered about the complexion of the baby. All i wanna make sure is tat if its a duplicate one, it shd not give any negative impact on the baby.
    Please let me know abt the original saffron and it would be gr8 if u could tell me where to get it :hide:

8. MiaSen

MiaSen Senior IL'ite

Hey eliz,
    My mom has always forced to me to take saffron vn i was carrying...
    Nt sure if it has helped as we are all fair in our family and my son too was very fair :)
    But one thing is tat eating saffron actually help in improving blood circulation in uterus - i heard from a friend of mine, not sure how true it is...
    But then it has been a time tested thing, so no harm in taking it anywayz...
    Guess old ppl might have thought tat we wont take if they give the actual reason, so could have told tat the child would become fair ;)
    Enjoy the days and sleep enough - after delivery u'll have a hard time finding time to nap :thumbsup

9. puresaffron

puresaffron New IL'ite

Saffron is an antispasmodic, so when taken during pregnancy, it may help relieve renal colic and stomach ache. Also it is believed to improve digestion and increase the appetite of a pregnant woman. Saffron is also known to control blood pressure and mood swings during pregnancy. However, as saffron induces body heat, experts recommend that you add just 1-2 strands in a glass of milk during pregnancy
    As far as any beneficial effect goes it depends on the type of saffron, the country of origin, the purity, the method of extraction and the amount in the purest form absorbable by the body.
    Yes it is supposed to purify blood and hence improves the blood flow. More than color of the skin, a healthy skin is what is essential. So thats why all these home remedies were suggested by elders.

Pregnant lady should take it from the 5th month untill the 9th.One needs to take around 3 leaves of saffron and keep it soaked in warm water overnight and then have this mixed with milk before having anyother food the next day.

Docs say that this particularly should be taken on days wen the lady has head bath , to avoid her getting infected from cold.
    Also its said that its good for digestion and heart.

But as saffron is the costliest spice available , getting pure saffron is indeed very difficult.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Though i don't have much belief about complexion and saffron me too started having it :). I am in first trimester.Just 2-3 is more than enough per day.

1/2 gram costs nearly 120 in Nuts-N-Spices(Chennai).Since they are well known for these kind of products i had no second thoughts to get from them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010