saffron during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sruthu, Feb 25, 2008.

1. nehajagadeesh

nehajagadeesh Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

Regarding saffron , i had taken in my first pregnency , only on 5th ,7th and 9th month only 1 day on all these three months. after taking saffron for 2 days i was on strict diet ,no masala or hot chilli food stuffs, as saffron is very heat

in this pregnency also i'm following the same. regarding the fairness , i don't think its true.

:cheers

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I have taken saffron for both my pregnancies,throughout the pregnancy period,just 3-4 strands in a cup of warm milk at night.I don't believe in the tales either,I took it only because of the good flavour it gave to milk!

3. Ruhaanee

Ruhaanee Senior IL'ite

Saffron definetly does not make the baby fair, I know a lot of ladies who tried that and it has failed.
    It is definitely a blood purifier, i dont know when you should have it but a two or three strands in the milk will definitely help in keeping you more healthy.
    its a medicine used in most ayurvedic therapies

4. jyothijyothi

jyothijyothi New IL'ite

thanks friends for your adivces.

I don't like plain milk, smell of it makes me feel vomiting so i am mixing some addictives to milk like horlicks, milo etc and drinking it. I add saffron to the same milk and drink is it ok? or i just have to drink plain milk with saffron pls advice

5. nandinibabu

nandinibabu Bronze IL'ite

so for everybody discussed about the intake of saffron during pregnancy period..but i can tell one suggestion that don't buy any cheap quality of saffrons..it may be adultrated and will give harm to ur health..so please be carefull while buying saffron and don't compare with prices..

regards,

nandini..

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Well,regarding adding saffron in horlicks,milo etc,I will say try it first.It does taste a little different and you may not like the combination.:hide:​

7. sowmyaganesh

sowmyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi

Though people advised me to have saffron, I did not have it as it induces a lot of heat in the body. My daughter is very fair inspite of that.

Regards

8. bhargavi2101

bhargavi2101 New IL'ite

Hello Ladies. can anybody tell me if it is safe to use Saffron during pregnancy? i am 16 weeks pregnant and would like to know the quantity intake of the same.

thank you in advance for your suggestions.:)

9. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

Hi bharavi
    I had also taken saffron during my pregnancy, but I started taking it only from 6th month onwards just as a precaution. I would also like to say that saffron is said to be a increase body heat, so make sure you have it only once a day
    The way i had taken it is :
    Take one or 2 strands immerse it in 2 or 3tbsp of warm/hot milk for 1 hr . After 1 hr rub the strands between your fingers and try to dissolve it in the milk. Then you can add this to a cup of milk + sugar and drink it.
    Nikky

10. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Bhargavi,

There are already order threads in IL regarding Saffron during pregnancy.

1) Kids will not be born fair in color due to Saffron - No PROOF. Plus mother who drank saffron milk also said it is not correct that kids will become fair.

2) In First trimister, Saffron is heat. May be start having it in second trimister.

Bye,
    Archana :)