saffron during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sruthu, Feb 25, 2008.

1. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

Re: saffron -is it helpful?

hi,
    i took saffron every day in my pregnancy, i dint believe a word of what they say about baby's fair complexion...but simply had it with milk for the yummmmmmmmmyyy taste! even now i add saffron whenever i have plain milk....

2. jyothijyothi

jyothijyothi New IL'ite

Hi all

please leave your valuable suggestions on how, when, quantity, proedure of taking saffron durig pregnancy. I have heard that taking saffron during pregnancy give good fairness to baby but i am not sure how and till when to take this

3. vestavijay

vestavijay Senior IL'ite

hello jyothi,

i dont know how far it is true tht" saffron gives fairness to the baby"

4. bebo

bebo New IL'ite

Hello Jyothi,
    Well even i am not sure abt the fairness thing. I think it all depends on the genes of the parents. But whereas taking saffron during pregnancy is considered. It actually purifies the blood n helps in relaxation for the mother. well if we r told that its gonna do good to us we might skip it but if we r told that its gonna do good to r babies..no way can a mother skip it right!!!...so i guess here comes the fairness thing...n we all know that we all r obsessed with that..:bowdown..

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I think having saffron during pregnancy is just anoither grandma's tale. There is no truth to it. Atleast that's what I believe!!.
    Fairness depends on the parents genes.

Just my 2 cents!

6. Triza

Triza New IL'ite

There is no evidence that saffron makes baby skin fair, u cannot change genetics just by taking saffron. Meanwhile I read somewhere that high doses of saffron (10 grams or more) can cause contractions and even miscarriages, so even if you are taking it take only 2 or 3 strands. Dont think that just because its a herb, or it was safe for some other woman, it is good for everyone. Better to consult your doctor before taking it.

Triza.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

dear jyothi,
    color of the baby's skin is solely dependant on the melanin content... which is predecided at the time of conception in the genome inherited from the parents... consuming saffron is a personal choice but i think its hightime we all surpass all these grandma tales!:)

8. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Just an old tale that adding saffron gives complexion.Do not take it in your first trisemester as excess will cause heat.when you are about to enter the second trisemester,you can add just a pinch to the milk and drink

9. umarayan

umarayan Senior IL'ite

Hi
    saffron purifies the blood,ok if u take that during pregnancy,blood supply to baby will get the purified blood ,its true,dont believe its gives color ok,i took this on 5th month till delievery,u should add just 5 or 6 threads on hot milk,let the milk to warm and have it at night time.

uma

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Jyothi,

I think its just a myth that saffron added to milk generates fairness to the skin. I think milk has a bigger role to play here. Let alone saffron in water and have it, I don't think it will do any good.

My personal experience is that milk and milk products like curds, paneer, buttermilk add to the fairness and improve complexion while adding lots of calcium too. Even citrus fruits like sweet limes, limes, oranges are good for the complexion even to the mother and to the baby.

As most of the IL's mentioned it also depends on the genes. I have not taken saffron during my pregnancy now so I cannot comment much about the same. All I know is that you will not regret having plain milk either.

All the best!

Regards,
    Lynette