Sachsenhausen, Langen, Darmstadt-comparative merits

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by teacher, Dec 17, 2009.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    We're looking at places in and around Frankfurt...We are city slickers-without kids...I guess Sachsenhausen is in the city but I've heard a lot about how difficult it is to park there, and that the city is easily accessible fom Langen/Darmstadt. What are some nice areas in these places? Near old town? Is there an Indian community? A few comments in another site sugested that these places are too restrictive...I understand what is restrictive to one may not be for others...Any input on life in Langen and Darmstadt would be appreciated...We like walking around towns..I see Darmstadt has a fair bit to see..how about Langen?
    ???
    Thanks,
    Rama

2. Sonh

Sonh New IL'ite

Hi,

Lived in Sachsenhausen before we had kids and atleast there it does not feel like the whole city has died after 9 pm! Plus we did not have a car at that point in time as the public transport is really good and we used to rent a car for the weekends. Langen is pretty and smaller. Darmstadt is much bigger and comparable to Frankfurt but it all depends and how much time you want to spend commuting and what your needs are.

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

True:) We just moved this weekend and explored all these places along with other areas. Everything does shut down early doesn't it? We found a nice place in the city-so hopefully that is livelier.
    R

4. Sonh

Sonh New IL'ite

so which area of Frankfurt did you finally settle on? have you found any indian famillys?We find it really difficult to find any indians here with whom you can meet and untertake something. In case you guys would be interested let me know.

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi there,

We've decided on a place near Gruneburgweg...not a lot of shops but some restaurants. Really liked the apartment and I guess we can walk to the shops. I'm game for a meet up-Thursday/Friday? How about the big book store near the galleria (only place I can remember I'm afraid).

Rama

6. Sonh

Sonh New IL'ite

we could meet friday, but since I work will have to be around 5:30 pm?How does one send messages directly here?

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    We can't send contact info. Friday evening doesn't work for me but next week looks feasible as does tomorrow
    R

8. Sonh

Sonh New IL'ite

what time would suit you tomorrow? I could maybe manage sometime in the afternoon, bit later than earlier.

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI,
    anytime is fine-is 5 too late?

10. Sonh

Sonh New IL'ite

5 is fine. Incase anything comes inbetween just post till tomorrw 1 pm here. I will do so too. So at the huegenduebels entrance? Thats the book stores name.