1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Sachin Mango and Aishwarya Guava !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Yashikushi, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

NEWS COURTESY:Outlook India and from other internet sources.

http://malihabad.blogspot.com/

www.outlookindia.com | The Mango Maharaja

A mango tree that flowers 300 varieties!

It is hard to believe that a farmer can have as a hobby the grafting of multiple varietal scions of interesting and unique mango diversity on to a single tree.

Haji Kaleem Ullaj Khan in Malihabad (a town in Lucknow district) maintains several trees with many varieties grafted onto them in his orchard.

Two very remarkable mango trees in one of his family’s orchid known as “dussehri”( Abdullah Nursery, Kaleemullah's 14-acre orchard )…One is said to be 100 years old and is named Al-Muqarrar. It has had more than 300 varieties of mango skilfully grafted onto it by Hajii’s father. The other, younger tree has more than 150 mango genotypes grafted on to it. Each branch looks like a different tree! Both trees are bearing fruits of different colour, shape and size, and at different times.

The man has grafted and grown about 300 varieties of mango(The original tree is nearly 80 years old.)— every fruit has a tiny tin label of identification on its pale green pedicle. The names are as fascinating as the mangoes themselves: the heart-shaped Asl-ul-Muqarrar, the bright red Husn-e-Ara, the bitter gourd-like Karela, Kelwachampa, Sharbati Bagrain, Pukhraj, Walajah Pasand, Khas-ul-Khas, Makkhan, Shyam Sunder, Prince, Himsagar...they are all there. In all their splendour.—on this single 100-year-old tree

The oldest mango tree in Dussehri village
    [​IMG]
    “Mangoes are my passion,” he readily acknowledges. “They are more important to me than my children.”

A boy climbs on the mango tree
    [​IMG]
    When Khan talks about the variety of mangoes grown by him in his orchards in the renowned 'dussehri' belt in Malihabad, it seems that he is fondly referring to his family members.
    He has named the mangoes on this particular tree after his family members who also were mango growers, he said.
    Relentlessly working in his nursery, Khan's passion for the fruit goes back to his childhood when he began experimenting with mango saplings.

Driven by zeal to preserve vanishing variety of mangoes, Khan started his conservation effort by grafting seven to eight varieties of mango stems.

He has also cultivated 5 more new varieties of Mango and named it after the famous actress “Aishwarya, Anarkali ,Nayantara, Nargis and Jahanara “ .

“The ‘Anarkali’ variety of mango which I developed had two different types of fruit peel, with two layers of pulp having totally different taste,” he says.

Anarkali
    [​IMG]

"It were the children in the family who on seeing the new variety remarked that it resembles the actress Aishwarya in its colour and grace," Khan said.

Born in 1945, Kaleem Ullaj Khan Khan does not have any academic horticultural degrees, but he is widely renowned in India for his skills and knowledge in multiple grafting on a single tree. He was awarded the title of Udhyan Pandit (Professor of the Orchard) by a former President of India.

He has also presented a mango tree bearing 54 varieties to the current President for the premises of the Mughal Garden of Rastrapati Bhavan in 1999 which stands as a living monument at Mughal Gardens in Rashtrapathy Bhavan, Delhi even now.

This 10 foot long tree with 6 foot long roots dug out with 5 quintals of mud from his farm house and transported to Rashtrapathy Bhavan in the year 1999 and re-planted it there.
    He has been acknowledged by many high-profile visitors from abroad and also decorated with the Padamashri award. His name is recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records for his grafting feats.

The craft developed by him has become a mystery for researchers and agriculturists from the country and abroad who have been left baffled by his work.
    The sexagenarian who also finds mention in Limca Book of records for growing the rare tree has the support of his sons in keeping the tradition alive.

The Mango Maharaja
    [​IMG]

Haji Kaleem Ullaj Khan uses ground layering for his propagation for most commercial saplings, and veneer or wedge grafting in special cases. Uses only natural manure .he says ”using chemicals over them equals killing my own child. Will never do that blunder"

He has also grafted a guava tree that flowers and fruits all year round, which is another attraction for the nursery.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

2. Yashikushi

A Mango Named Sachin

Sachin’s Mango Debut
    Mango Khan peels his heart for SachinTendulkar
    The master blaster has shattered many records and many of his fans have named their sons Sachin. But now, even a fruit has been named after the cricketing star. A rare talent, is now a rare variety of mango.

When Sachin Tendulkar hit two sixes one after another during the India Vs Australia cliffhanger 2009,Padma Shri Hajii Kalimullah Khan, the mango breeder, got up and quietly left his living room. He knew he had to immortalise the moment.

"Sachin Tendulkar had played beautifully that day even though India lost the match," says the septuagenarian, "and I thought what tribute could be better than to name a new variety of mango after one of the greatest cricketers of the world?"

He says, "There is no player like Sachin Tendulkar in the whole world and that's why I have named this mango Sachin."

Sachin Mango Debut
    [​IMG]
    Clearly, the mango is not “aam” (ordinary) in these parts, it is “khaas” (special); it’s the fruit on which the local economy depends, and from which the place derives its identity.

This hybrid mango or Sachin as it is now called is a combination of two of the finest Indian varieties, the juicy Goodar Shah and the delicious Chausa.

Kalimullah promises that the Sachin Mango, when it ripens, will be beautiful to look at—soft, with a shiny skin—and taste sweet, creamy and juicy. Sachin Mangoes will be sold to the public this year, but the first fruits from the tree will be delivered to—who else?—Sachin, as soon as they ripen.

"Our Sachin is a world hero and he is priceless and not a sale-able commodity. So, my attempt will be to send all the mangoes on this tree to Sachin so he can enjoy them with his friends," adds the mango expert.

When India's finest cricketing talent meets India's finest fruit it'll surely be sweet!

News updated only upto-July 2010..dunno if the hero was into the taste of his ardent Fan’s finest yield.
    After Sachin, he's already planning another rare variety. This one will be named after one of Sachin's ardent fans, Lata Mangeshkar.

Kalimullah says, "I can think of Lata Mangeshkar. I have a desire to produce a slender variety of mango which should be able to carry the name of Lataji."

3. Yashikushi

Taste Aishwarya Guava now!!
    The eternal beauty Aishwarya Rai will soon be available in the market as a fruit
    What's in a name; a rose called by any other name would smell as sweet' is what Shakespeare said centuries ago. Hajii proved himself to re-write the old saying.

Kaleemullah Khan shows Aishwarya
    [​IMG]

While naming a special genetically-developed variety of guava as 'Aishwarya', 71-year-old Kaleemullah Khan is out to prove that no other guava could be as beautiful or sweet as his 'Aishwarya'.

"I have no hesitation in confessing that the name I have given to this particular guava is drawn because of its exquisite beauty; just as Bollywood queen Aishwarya Rai could be aptly described as the ultimate in beauty, so is my guava, which I took nearly eight years to develop",

While naming a special genetically-developed variety of guava as 'Aishwarya' …Haji is out to prove that no other guava could be as beautiful or sweet as his 'Aishwarya'.

[​IMG]
    "Haven't you heard the old saying -- a thing of beauty is a joy for ever -- well! The idea was to immortalise 'Aishwarya' because the fruit is going to live for posterity." Hajii shots back.

Hajii, however, excited about the ’most delicate’ and ’graceful’ looking latest variety, the horticulturist said that the new fruit resembles red as an apple in texture and it is much sweeter than the traditional Guava. It took eight years for Haji to develop this new variety of Guava.

Nearly crimson red with few streaks or dots of yellow, the guava closely resembles an apple, not only because of its sweetness but also because of its unique odour.
    According to Kaleemullah, the biggest advantage of this variety is that it has soft seeds.

Unlike the normal guava, Aishwarya has very few seeds and even those are extremely soft, making them conveniently chewable and digestible.

Aishwarya, the guava
    [​IMG]

He says....Yes, my family has been into mangoes for more than one-and-a-half century. So it was not easy to diversify into any other fruit. But I always love to take challenges. So one fine morning I decided to try my skills at guava and see, I have done it," he exclaims, while pointing towards the first 'Aishwarya' tree he developed.

"I never received any training in horticulture nor did I receive any major formal education. In fact I learnt my skills by hit and trial, and of course my own instinct," says Kaleemullah, who does not feel shy of telling you that he was a class VII drop-out.

Significantly, the architect of the fruit has made it a point neither to use either any chemical fertiliser or pesticide during the entire development process.

"Instead of pesticide I use neem-oil, which has fantastic anti-pest properties," he said.

However, so far he had been able to create only about 100 'Aishwarya' plants, which were not enough to grow the variety on a commercial scale. But he is confident of doing to do so by 2012.

Let us salute this sexagenarian farmer who made our India proud by his remarkable feats.:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

4. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

hi Saroj,

I feel proud to give first feed back. feast to our eyes, with useful information. feel like plucking the mango from the tree. thanks for sharing with lovely pictures and information.

5. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this article Saroj.It was an interesting read.To be frank I came here reading the title .He truly deserve the accolades for his hard work.In this growing economy where agriculture is given less priority people like Mr Khan give us hope.Using only bio fertilizers and pesticides is really commendable.

6. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

So interesting to read ...Saroj.

Thanx for the post.

7. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

The effort of growing sachin mango and Aishwarya guava - neatly explained with superb photos.

it is very interesting to read. thanks for sharing saroj.

andal

8. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

saroj,
    interesting to read about the article ...Saroj.

9. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Wow... its really fascinating to know about the passion Mr. Kaleemullah has for cultivating fruits.... and :thumbsup to you for sharing with us

10. vijayasampath

vijayasampath Gold IL'ite

Very [​IMG] thread!!...

sachin and ash's fans keep these names for their children..now season for the fruits.. [​IMG] [​IMG]