1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Nice going Laks!

Today ran a 15k in a much disliked marathon - not just by me but almost every one who runs it. But we all still do it! I think I was doing well till about 10k with a 12.22 pace but slowed down the last two miles bumping my average to 12.44. No complaints though, treacherous hills, gloomy weather (at 33 and a wind chill of some mid 20s), winds and I did reach my goal of keeping under 2 hours.

2 people like this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sabi,

That's a great average for a 15k considering the terrain and temps. Great going!!! Keep up the tempo. When is the yearly marathon in your city? Ours is in dec and my neighbour wants to train for the half. I may run the 10k this year. Will you go the distance this year since you've been doing so well? Good luck if you are training for that!
    I'm inspired to register for a race! I just don't seem to be doing it. I'm trying to just get my 3-4 weekly runs in and stay injury free.

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

All this training for the upcoming half marathon in May Laks. I so want to do may be just one full marathon but ....well perhaps time will tell. I would have loved a 12.30 pace though. I was following a 12.37 pace group but fell off at a point to get my salt tablets in and lost them and could never catch up as we kept climbing those hills!

Go for it girl. Just go and register. I know you will enjoy it. I love the crowd support in a marathon but today was a blah! Literally not a single soul out - so it was all self motivation. Who wants to cheer crazies running with a winter weather storm coming up. Just kidding - there were some good souls out playing music, tons of volunteers every mile with water. I should not complain - it helped me through and that watch though I wore much against my will, helped me keep pace.

PS: My DH did the full in your parts of the world this past January :)

2 people like this.
  4. Laks09

Go for it Sabi! You can do it. Our neck of the woods is going to be roasting in may so we get all our runs in march/April and then hibernate indoors until October/Nov.
    Maybe you can come down in December and run the full here. I'll give you company for 10k atleast or if I try hard maybe even a half. My group buddies think I can give the half a shot.

I ran 3.1 miles indoor today at a 13 min/mile pace. I was heading outside but DH told me tht the wind would blow me away. True. We are having 40mph winds outside. Even my car was finding it tough to handle.
    Now for some Sunday laughs. DH comes back from the gym this AM and tells me he was famished after 2 miles. He said he felt exhausted, had to get off the dreadmill and break, drink water and then slowly jog to make his 6 miles. He comes home and tells me I have no clue why I'm tired. Me showing enough sympathy "oh poor thing, I wonder why. 6 miles is easy for you, you shouldn't be this dehydrated" . Then I went to the indoor track, since I hate the dreadmill and I pay extra just to use the rec center track. I have eaten ny b'fast an hour and a half ago, drank my water and am going slow. I'm dry mouthed right at the start. Then the tubelight in me flashes. Me in my head "we each polished off two glasses of portugese dessert wine and an entire bottle of French wine between the two of us last night and he drank a cup of chai with a tsp of milk before going to they gym. And I ate half a bag of M&M candies and loads of bread to ease my tummy after the wine" No wonder both of us feel dehydrated. I'm not used to having so much to drink. No wonder I woke up with a funny headache which is not really a headache. Looks like both of us were hung over. Oh well, we don't usually do this and we've been under some stress. Note to self, don't drink and RUN!

3 people like this.
  5. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Laks- Thanks for you advise on the foam roller. I did try it in the gym and seemed to help. I am going to get one for myself at home as I don't hit the gym everyday.
    Hopefully this helps.

Srama- 15k!!! wow WTG.
    Laks- I am grinning ear to ear reading your drink and run advise hehe..

2 people like this.
  6. Laks09

Ladies,
    I ran 3 miles today with my neighbor. She did intervals and I ran the entire 3 miles. We ran laps around the pond today. Hills tiny small park hills make me cry. I'm not looking forward to hill runs. I'm going to have to do that with the running club.
    Btw, my pace was 11.36. It took me 35 mins to complete the 5K.

L

2 people like this.
  7. Laks09

Happy,
    buy the foam roller. I use it regularly now since I started running 3 miles consistently and my muscles are cramping. I can see the difference when I use it and when I don't.

1 person likes this.
  8. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Ordering one today. Going for the trigger point one- simply coz thats the one I tried in the gym.

Laks- I cant thank you enough! and I can't thank IL enough, I have got so many practical suggestions which may seem small to others but have made a radical difference to my life. Now can I go and nominate all these posts to FP? Then, Cheeniya sir and Kamla ma'am might eventually ban me.. lol!

1 person likes this.
  9. Laks09

I ran 3 miles yesterday. Pace was 10.3. I hope I can increase mileage next week. I don't want to do more than 3 miles tomorrow in the group run!
    I hope I hold pace steady at 11:30, yesterday at the one mile mark I was doing 9 mins and I had to slow down. I found out how to turn on notifications every mile on mapmyrun. I love this app

10. Laks09

EH,
    Glad you ordered the foam roller. I'm sure you'll find YouTube videos for every muscle group. I didn't find time to foam roll yesterday and my shins are slightly sore today. Have to go home and do it.
    You are so good about FP nominations. I wish I were like you. I like posts but never take the extra two minutes to go nominate. I'm sure Kamla and Cheeniya encourage posters like you.

1 person likes this.