1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I eat a muesli with milk/yogurt/chia/flax/yogurt for b'fast along with a berry blend and an 8oz coffee(full milk). If I skip the coffee or b'fast I've had it! On days I'm in a hurry and drink a shake or eat a bar, I'm famished when I finish whatever it is I do as workout. My DH goes out with just a cup of chai(1-2tsp milk only) and can do 6-8 miles and be perfectly fine. In fact, today, he was the one who told me the weather was good for a run, probably Texas standards! I told him that I should probably get some sun screen on. He said there was no need. Guess what, I have a terrible tan! My arm where my phone band went around is marked distinctly. Same with my back, wore a razor back top and my top has left a mark on my back/neck :(

2 people like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh Laks please be careful. In fact on the longer runs because of cold temps I always check hour by hour forecast and then head out. I warm up very easily and if I am over dressed it is a torture. Yes, you need that sun screen too, may be a visor even, that gatorade, water and gel. One of my friends who is running the Boston this year does this - previous evening drives along the route she wants to take and places water bottles and comes so that she has them on her run. It has worked perfectly! Hydration should be before the run, you should not feel so dehydrated during or after...so please work on this.

Pace wise, I am not sure if there is any app that will let you know you are going too fast and route wise even. I have got lost while running with the group :hide: yes, yes I am perfectly capable of something like that and had to figure my way out. May be you can google your route and put your pointers on a little slip of paper? In fact, my DH buys me a new watch every other year and I pretty much don't wear it. He wants me to study my patterns and other good stuff but I am just happy to be out and running!

Once you are doing the long running, I am sure you will learn to manage your pace better and the group will start giving you pointers as well. Oh that Texas heat watch out for it girl and take care of your self!

5 people like this.
  3. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Laks, Srama- you must be wondering why I keep hovering around here only with likes!
    That's coz I want to run someday and reading your posts makes me happy :) and of course helps me keep that goal in mind.. Great going both of you. Love reading your posts.

4 people like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

EverHappy,

Thank you for hanging around here and reading us! Laks is the motivator here and I am amazed at her zeal and how well she is doing. You know we are here any time you take that step to run...even if a few yards. Look forward to seeing you joins us and oh those likes from you always bring a smile, so may I ask you to keep them coming?

2 people like this.
  5. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

great going Laks...which week are you at now in the repeat program?

ok gals...I reached India on 7th and have been busy helping with my niece...hope to get settled by this weekend...ran only on 9th when i was @ my dad's...ran at 5:30am on the main road in 3 intervals for 0.7+0.4+0.9 miles...expended 465kcals in 47.5 mins(includes walk from home to the jog place and back)...felt so good and refreshed..absolutely loved it and plg to run only outside...my heart also seems to like it and the rate stayed between 185-188 whereas it does not go beyond 181 in the gym...except for the odd vehicle at that time no disturbance at all, side walks are bad for running and weather is so pleasant at that time(imagine gentle breeze, little light), lot of walkers but hardly any joggers...I only have to build my distance again as i seem to have trouble curbing my speed aka heart rate

will update next week again once i at my dad's place where i can run...

3 people like this.
  6. Laks09

I will watch the forecast before heading out. Yesterday, guys running with me were stripping their shirts off, looking my way and telling me how sorry they were that I didn't have that option. I was already in a tiny tank and tights, I couldn't have under dressed any more. I did get my water the previous day. I'm sure I need to pay attention to my potassium intake. I hate bananas with a vengeance, but yesterday I ate one after the run and instantly felt replenished.
    I do map my route on one of the apps but it does not navigate if I go off course. I don't keep checking my phone on my arm band to see if I'm on track. I'm famous for getting lost. I can go to a place a zillion times and still get lost. Anyway, I'll eventually improve my sense of direction! I thought about the Garmin watch too but then I don't want more than the distance and pace information so decided against the fancy watch.
    EverHappy,
    Pick one of the couch to 5k apps and start. It's easy. I could never have done it without the program. There are a lot of apps out there!

vibha,
    I completed the program. Just doing random runs.
    Great going in India. Those roads are difficult to run on. I'm proud of you for doing whatever you do there! Come back and start on a track for a few weeks until you can do a 5k comfortably. Then you can probably hit the road and have fun!

4 people like this.
  7. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Laks- Thanks for the suggestion. Couch to 5k is on my list. But, I get knee aches often even when I do high impact leslie. Hence trying to do some aqua aerobics along with other leslie etc. I've tried new shoes etc Hoping my knee reacts better when I lose some weight. I was diagnosed with RA couple of years ago in India but docs here say I don't have it now. So I'm confused and taking it slow.

1 person likes this.
  8. Laks09

EH,
    I have a lot of joint issues as well. I had an RA diagnosis for my knee in India. I had terrible knee ache when I started Zumba. I used a foam roll every time I danced( look up the video online on YouTube). My trainer taught me this trick. I started running after getting fitted for proper running shoes. I stretch before and after each run. My knees seem to be ok so far.

1 person likes this.
  9. Laks09

I ran with the group today. My neighbour joined the group too. We ran with beginners today. 4:1 interval for 3 miles. I didn't know I had a friend who ran as well. She is back after a break of a few months. I'm sure she'll be hitting the 5k mark soon. Together we are going to paint the town red!

3 people like this.
  10. Laks09

Ran two miles yesterday @ 10 min/ mile. Slow down buddy. In for the marathon not the race.