1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Laks,

that is an awesome time and it is natural for you to feel exhausted. Honestly I have wondered about your runs in those temps :hide: The heat adds on, so keep well hydrated. I dislike any kind of speed workouts, even in spinning so I will refrain from adding my two cents.

Vibha,

Happy to hear you are spinning! You are right about the knees - have the bike adjusted by the instructor and you will soon be spinning away without any aches or pains!

2 people like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Now my updates ladies. For the first time in months, I have had a full week of work out. While happy about that, not at all happy with today's run. One of the factors is perhaps I was over worked and my strength class on thursday was literally kick *** and when I started the run this morning, I was already in pain. Being a sissy for pain, I think I worked more at protecting myself. Did a 7miler in one and half hours - the comforting part being it was a hill run....terrible four hills :-( Weather wise I couldn't have asked for a better day though. Cool 40s and felt amazing to be out and running with some wind! Loved that part. Only after finishing the run did I feel I could have done better. Ha but then there are so many more runs to go!

3 people like this.
  3. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

Grest going Srama..hill climbing is a challenge and your timing is good for a hill...I am at my SIL's place for 3 days so no exercise...will catch up soon..yes, i think i need to get the seat properly adjusted...my knees have taken the toll this time..

1 person likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sabi(figured out your name),
    you maybe right. I went indoors today and happily finished day2 week 8 of the program. No issues. Ran for 30 minutes. I did slow down right from the start. Unfortunately endomondo does not work indoors so no idea about distance/pace but I think it may have been 2.5-2.6 miles in the 30 mins. Right now, I'm concentrating on finishing the program. Once I do that I'll increase my running time gradually until I hit 45-55 mins. Then I'll head out to handle the heat and terrain. I'm giving Gatorade a serious thought. Any ideas if a bottle an hour before heading out will work for the energy and hydration?

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

:) You are doing awesome Laks and you seem to be on a good path to get to endurance running. I know of many people who do gatorade and it seems to help them. While doing the long endurance runs, they ask us to start hydrating a day or two before along with carb loading. So you will have to play around and figure this out. Sorry! Also they suggest a drink of chocolate milk for your muscles after the work out.

Personally I use nuun electrolyte and the way I hydrate is a little different. I battle severe severe headaches and I believe it may be because of electrolyte imbalance. After two years of running, I still am figuring out what works for me. So far hydrating a couple of days before and after the run seems to do the trick. Can you believe that I fear the headaches more than the exhaustion of running.

Hope this helps you a little as you figure out what works for you!

1 person likes this.
  6. Laks09

I completed my couch to 5k program today! I ran a 5k. I did 3.2 miles in 35 mins. Now on to tackle those outdoor runs!Sabi,I drank more than usual fluids today and headed out this AM after my no water coffee. I generally cannot run without food in me but I could do this very well. I think hydration the previous day was the trick. I'm continuing this and maybe a banana instead of coffee before heading outside. I'm planning on buying a hydration belt so I don't get a heat stroke come 90 degree temps.

3 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Awesome Laks! Yes, please get that belt first. I cannot, repeat cannot think of running above 50F so I am in awe of you. What a wonderful time too. Excited to have a running buddy. Now that the goal is done, look forward to your outside run updates.

Did a 10k today at 12.30 per mile pace. As always after the run is when I feel perhaps I could have done better by a couple of minutes. Oh well, there is always that next run! Weather was perfect at some 39 and I did take some electrolytes before the run and boy this is the first run without a splitting after headache.

2 people like this.
  8. Laks09

Sabi,
    Great Going! For a 10k 12.30/mile is a very good pace. I'm aiming to do a 12.3/mile 10k, when I get the time for the 10k training that is!

Btw, any recommendation for a hydration belt? I was thinking about this one - Amazon.com: Fuelbelt R3O Revenge Hydration Belt, One Size, Black: Sports & Outdoors

For some reason, IL seems to not be liking me. All my paragraphing is not showing up. I better let someone in feedback know.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That someone is me again Laks :( That hydration belt is a good deal. I have checked around in a lot of places and you don't get anything for lesser. I would say go for it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

Sabi,
    How did I miss it? Are you the mod for the feedback forum?

Anyway, I think the issue is resolved now. I can paragraph again.

Thanks for your FB. I ordered the belt. Btw, we have sleet and snow and icy roads today. I'm glad I don't have to run today ;)
    I hope you are staying warm. We will probably warm up by Tuesday.

Regards,
    L