1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was doing 3-4 miles every other day. A couple of weeks ago, I hurt my knee with a new pair of running shoes and had to stay away from running. I got that sorted out and got my old brand of shoes back and I did head out today. Hopefully, the trend will continue!

Yep, the last few kgs are the hardest to lose. I suggest switching things up and trying something different diet wise or exercise wise to get things going. I remember ditching refined sugar completely helped me beat one such plateau.

Congratulations!!! That's an awesome accomplishment!
    Keep working out because I made the mistake of stopping a few pounds short of my goal weight and guess what, before I knew it, the pounds came rolling back. I'm a carb junkie too and cannot control my diet beyond a certain level. I rely on workouts to keep my weight at a healthy level.

The thing with food is that you cannot outrun a bad diet. You should try eating everythign but in moderation. Instead of polishing off an entire cup of biriyani, relish 1/2 or 1/3 cup and then do your veggies and chicken. I'm the wrong person to say this, I've been stress eating for the past year but this month has been better. I used to be able to control my binge eating but stress is a big factor. Working out helps ease the stress and alleviates stress eating or binge eating to a certain level. If you stop working out, you do tend to reduce endorphins in the body and enable a stress response. Try to keep working out and work on portion control. Don't go back to where you started because losing all that weight again is making me go bonkers!

2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

thanks @Laks09 .

Glad your old shoes are back and helping you.
    I have achieved my goal weight and wants to loose two more kgs..I m already watching what im eating....in fact walking more than what i used to but still weight is constant for 2 months i guess.

Going to India, will indulge in food...may the ( oh god please ! ) that's the shock my body is wanting :)

mangaii, Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@ashima10 your update inspires me to post one myself. Mine is not as inspiring though. LOL. : )

Had started off with full enthu in March when this thread got active again. Lost 3-4 lbs and was doing good with watching what went in. Got in shape enough to do some long and fairly arduous world famous treks including ice covered uphill parts, carrying a backpack with all things I never needed. : ) That was the good part. But that's where I also discovered that as one ages, downhill gets more challenging on the knees. Started to need to put two feet on each step, and turn a little sideways when going down. And with walking poles.

I miss this thread. kkrish's updates on 10K steps and everyone's updates. So, I've essentially fallen back into old habits which means running but not keeping track really, watching what I eat but also lot of not watching. Maybe the new year will help restart.

Sometimes I forget to have my fitbit on and don't bother to stop the run and put it back on. Here's a funny one from my favorite comic strip:

zits.JPG
    source

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

If you all need a break from running so vigorously, please read my snippet
    Scary machine.
    Do you all notice the weighing machine in the doctor's office shows 5 pounds more than what you measure everyday?

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The last few pounds are notoriously difficult to lose. Actually, it is possible to keep reducing weight and still look skinny fat - loose and wobbly. To achieve the fit and lean look we have to alter body composition, meaning reducing body fat %age and increasing muscle mass even if it means gaining weight in the process. Lifting weights is the way to do it. There is a simple weight training program for beginners called StrongLifts 5x5. You workout 3 times a week and do 5 reps of 5 exercises and progressively increase the weights as you get stronger. I have seen people achieve great results with it. Best part is that you don't need to obsess so much about what you eat.

ashima10, Laks09 and mangaii like this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm back outdoors, enjoying the chill in the air. Sticking to short distances and doing a lot more yoga to open up the hips and strengthen the knees. I've started after a break and want to steer clear of injuries this time around. Made a yoga routine using the poses suggested by @Srama in the back-pain thread; practicing it 2-3 times a week. I'm taking a 3 day hiking trip in November; planning to tackle a hard climb this time, 6 hours of a steep, jagged mountain trail, back and forth. Been training for that by hiking some of the tougher local trails every other weekend.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Laks09, Srama and mangaii like this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Nice to see this thread back on track

Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.
  8. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

I wanted to write in ease hence this delay. Started going to office after" work from home" for 18 months..yes little bud is 19 months now...and i salute all mom ; Juggling with little ones. And more respect for 2nd time moms...

By what you have described your experience in going downhill, i appreciate you taking all those roads with caution and still taking it. The nature is kind in your area...where i live its a bubble !

I take my mobile whenever i walk...its kind of relaxing to check steps...gives me more energy to add 1000 more with 10 mins...sometimes i get competitive with myself !!!

going Home for Diwali ! happy Choti deewali guys !

Keep running...!

kkrish likes this.
  10. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

thanks Gauri. i have shed all the weight i wnated in fact 2 kgs extra but im getting greedy..i wnated to shed two more and than just maintain.

actually i know there is nothing called "just" maintain...you have to do it as lifestyle . Giving myself a good Diwali break and will be back ( hopefully ) with lifts...( looks scary as of now ) will update once im there.

Guts my updates

steps around 6-7 k daily.
    Calorie intake : 1500 daily .

Gauri03 and kkrish like this.