1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running And Ankle Pain

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by PepperPot, Aug 26, 2016.

1. PepperPot

PepperPot Gold IL'ite

Hi, Basic running question:

Just started running and on the first week of C25K.

When running, I feel the impact of my feet landing and it feels painful. My anterior ankle hurts after the run. I also got an infernal back ache though I am not sure if it is caused by some other activity, could it be due to running?

Trying to overcome a lifelong aversion towards running and don't want to set myself up for failure owing to bad form. I even have a running partner but he leaves for a month in 2 weeks and I need to gain the momentum to sustain my running for that month in these two weeks.

Is the ankle soreness due to bad form or is it normal for a beginner?

The videos and articles I looked at are a bit confusing. They say good form is to land on mid foot (which is really the ball of the foot, because how can we land on the arch?) but do we need to then land the rest of the foot on the ground then or just land on the ball of the foot and propel ahead?

I tried the latter today and it feels like tip toeing except on the ball of the foot instead of on toes, if that makes sense. I did not feel the painful impact today, so is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Gauri03 likes this.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@PepperPot - Have you been fitted for a proper pair of running shoes? If not, start with that. It's an investment but even if you don't do anything else, shoes are important. You get fitted based on your form, pronation, cadence, strike etc.

From the way you have described, landing on your heel and propelling forward, that's the description of a heel srike. If that's the way you naturally run, then it's fine but I wouldn't become a heel striker to fix my form.

Personally, I am a mid foot striker(more towards the arch of my feet than heel or toes). That's natural. My dh isn't. He lands more on his toes. Hasn't prevented him from running 20-30 miles a week for the past 15 years.

Foot strike isn't something you can fix this early. I would rely on proper shoes to do the job and as you progress as a runner then delve into the technicalities - strike, form, pronation, cadence etc. When you are running upwards of 30 miles a week then a running coach is advised.

My "guesses" for the reason of your pain are as follows -
    1) wrong or worn out foot wear
    2) going too fast(happens all the time to beginners, happened to me too).
    3) starting off too soon(how is your warm up)
    4) not stretching after(I still get a good cramp if I've not stretched after).

Btw, do not continue to run with the pain. Rest and ice and start back after the pain is completely gone.

If the pain continues, go get checked out by a sports med doctor. From your description it seems like a pulled tendon around the ankle but don't take it lightly if it continues to bother you.

PepperPot and Gauri03 like this.
  3. PepperPot

PepperPot Gold IL'ite

Thanks, that is very helpful. It's probably a combination of wrong foot wear and not stretching. I stretched today and no ankle pain so far.
    Where can I get fitted for proper running shoes? I tried to google it but getting lost in the articles, any recommendations?
    I am actually trying to land on ball of the foot (Ball - Your Feet - Dr. Comfort) and propelling. It seems painless but not sure I can run far (even 5K) that way. But I over analyze and get bogged down so I am going to stop focusing on that and try to get fitted if that will help me to complete this c25k.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pepperpot - I suggest you look at small running shoe stores in your area. They have all the equipment needed to analyze your running and fit you with the right shoe for your running style.

Also look at some pre/post run stretches on YouTube. Pick some dynamic stretches for pre-runs and any for post run. I suggest you start your c25k app, finish the warm up walk, pause the app and stretch for a good 5 mins before heading out on your run. Finish off with stretching after you cool down walk for a few mins.

Have fun running!

PepperPot likes this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Slow running (like soccer players do to strengthen their bones) or jogging is what is best for beginners as well as those who had been at it for a while. Not having some partner who is "pushing" the beginner to go faster is a benefit.