Rules to be observed while lighting lamps in a templ

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by RiyaB, May 21, 2013.

1. RiyaB

RiyaB Silver IL'ite

Hello,

Pls tell me about the rules to be observed while lighting a diya in a temple.

For eg, We should not light the diya from the flame of a diya lit by someone else though we can light it from the diya which is kept in front of the deity.

Thanks
    Riya

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear RiyaB Sister,

:welcome to IL family,

You are absolutely RIGHT, that one should not light Diya from other's lit burning DIYA, Sometimes you may not get access to the DEITY's Lamp, hence it is always better to carry Matchbox.

Lighting Lamp shows the Divineness and Devotion we possess, Hence it should be NOT be considered as a Duty, It is better not to light DIYA if we don't find the requisite time to be devoted, Goddess can understand our position, rather than just being dutiful.

It is always preferable to carry DIYA's (Earthen) from home applied with Chandan/Kunkum and at least a flower or Akshata to offer the DIYA respectfully.

Carry Gingelly Oil (Sesame/Til) or Fresh Ghee unless otherwise told to use any other combination of oil specifically.

Use wicks that doesn't burn off totally.

Chant Naamasmaran while preparing and lighting Diya.

Thanks for the thread Sister Riya, May Baba guide you always, Sairam

Best wishes..

4 people like this.
  3. RiyaB

RiyaB Silver IL'ite

Thank you Saisakthi

These days diyas are available in the temple which we have to buy ( these diyas are NOT reused but fresh earthen ones along with the oil & wick).

As you said we should always try & get the diya from home even if we buy those in the temple I hope it's not a problem.

Do we have to apply kumkum chandan inside the diya ( place where we pour the oil) & do we keep the flower inside the diya on the oil.

Pls pardon my ignorance.

Love
    Riya

4. RiyaB

RiyaB Silver IL'ite

Hello,

I have been regularly lighting diyas in a Shiva temple.

I lit a diya & did abhishek to the Shivlingam. A couple was waiting for their turn after I finished. Once I wqas through they started doing their abhishek & my diya was burning. I went to another part of the temple to pray to other deities & when I returned I saw the diya had extinguished :( All this is less than half a minute.
    On seeing me the woman handed over the diya to me to relight it which I did.
    Now the area in which the shivlingam is placed is not windy Every day I see diyas lit there so I don't think it's the work of the wind. That couple was performing the abhishek standing up & since my diya was small ( hence the flame also small) some drops of water might have fallen over the wick & extinguished it.
    when she handed back the diya to me the wick was cold so I'm sure it could have been the water droplet.

This incident has left me feeling very anxious since I was praying for a very imp thing whilst lighting the diya.

5. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Riya

Thank you for starting the thread.

Don't worry about the incidence. As you said it may due to the water split while doing abhishekam. You have again lit the diya no, so don't worry.

1 person likes this.
  6. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saisakthi sister,

Thank you very much for clarifying the doubt of Riya, which is a common doubt but raised through her. You have explained in a very well manner which is easily understandable by all. Thanks a lot.

7. RiyaB

RiyaB Silver IL'ite

Thank you Muthuraji.
    Just that I'm feeling very disturbed since it is the 1st time that something like this has ever happened to me.

8. Saisakthi

Dear RiyaB Sister,

Sorry I missed your post, Yes you got me right, Occasionally it is fine to take from the shops (ensure that they are new)

Kumkum & Chandan should be applied on the sides and flowers offered near the diya after lighting lamp

Please don't be upset for these things which happen in reality, you can try your best to be careful, but that is fine, be happy that you knew that diya got off and you lighted it again before you left.

May Baba guide you and bless you always. Sairam

1 person likes this.
  9. Saisakthi

Dear MuthuRaji Sister,

Whatever little known to me is shared with all my IL family members, Thanks to Baba for making me instrumental is spreading his messages and sharing things known to me.

May Baba bless all our homes always. Sairam

10. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

Lightning Diya with sesame oil or ghee is to take off the bad effects of sani mainly and we light them and there is nothing harm if it goes off.Natural causes like wind or water drops falling can occur and diya will go off.......

Diya in your heart is the best diya to be lightened and apart from these all for said and written for human understanding....Keep the diya lightening in your heart and so all will come good for you... Don't worry for silly happenings if you do so there is no end for it......

simple dalai lama quote I would like to share here

""Thisis my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy.Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness""

1 person likes this.